Blue Badge (Disabled) - France? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, can anyone give me advice on the rules of using the blue badge to receive a reduction on the tolls in France.

We found it very hit and miss in the spring, some toll stations seemed to give a reduction whereas others just waved it away. Does anyone know where I can get a definitive answer which I can show to the toll stations.

One bolshy attendant actually charged us as Class 2 instead of Class 1 when I asked - he must have had a hard day!

Ginny

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Ginny,

This is the wording on the Autoroute web site for disabled reductions.

"Category-2 vehicles adapted for carrying disabled people (as specified on registration papers) are considered as belonging to category 1."

See Link Removed

I hope that helps.

Don

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginny,

"Category-2 vehicles adapted for carrying disabled people (as specified on registration papers) are considered as belonging to category 1."

See Link Removed

Thanks for coming back to me Don, I understand the regulation and the different categories now. If we show the badge at the toll they 'should' charge us as if we were a car (category 1) rather than category 2.

However, although Michael has a Blue Badge for COPD, we have not had disabled modifications to the van, so do we receive the concession or not???

Do the concessions apply to all toll motorways?

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Ginny,

See Link Removed

Thanks for coming back to me Don, I understand the regulation and the different categories now. If we show the badge at the toll they 'should' charge us as if we were a car (category 1) rather than category 2.

However, although Michael has a Blue Badge for COPD, we have not had disabled modifications to the van, so do we receive the concession or not???

Do the concessions apply to all toll motorways?

Ginny

Hi Ginny,

The French Autoroutes are now run by private companies so I would just ask for "Class one Disabled" and present your Blue Badge. If you get the reduction treat it as a bonus if you don't get it there's not a lot you can do in my opinion.

Regards

Don

P

petes

Deleted User
blue badge

Hi Ginny it is as Don says as far as the regs go, I always present mine at the tolls and sometimes you get and sometimes you don't. On our last trip using a lot of toll roads we found most tolls were ok but the ones near the cities and over bridges mostly refused.

I have also found that on some Aires we have not been charged when the badge has been displayed, if you use aires try it evry little bit helps.

Pete

V

vanessa

Deleted User
There's certainly a big difference between "theory" and "reality" on this one. We tried over and over to get reduced tolls when we had my blue-badge-holding mother in the car with us ... always without success. They just shrugged, shoved it back at me, and charged the normal tolls.

Bearing in mind I'm French-speaking and driving a French-registered car, I found this very frustrating.

I wonder if somewhere in the small-print on this it says something about it having to be the driver who is registered disabled?

BTW, the way to ask in French is "classe 1 handicappée" ... with the "classe" rhyming with "mass" and the ending of "handicappée" rhyming with "fiancée".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginny,

See Link Removed

Re the Blue Badge this is the excellent information Don Madge gave me, if you print off the sheet and hand it to them with your blue badge, nine times out of ten they will give you the discount.

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back