Mains Air Compressor advice needed (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I was thinking of getting a mains air compressor for home, just to use for tyre inflating, and maybe using with a nail gun accessory. I know absolutely nothing about these things but I'm sure some of you guys do. I just want a farley basic compressor, and was looking at this type of thing http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-8...ressor-with-5-piece-accessory-kit-240v/48089# Would this be good enough for the very light use it would get, if not what sort of spec should I be looking for (don't want to spend a fortune):roflmto:

John

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the one you linked to would be fine, or keep an eye open for the one that aldi and lidl sell. it costs about £60 and comes with a 3 year warranty. at the same time they sell all manner of air tools under £20 each. ive had one of these for years and have also got the nail gun, which is an excellent tool

i have built all sorts of things with it from fences to recladding a shed. saves a huge amount of work

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
the one you linked to would be fine, or keep an eye open for the one that aldi and lidl sell. it costs about £60 and comes with a 3 year warranty. at the same time they sell all manner of air tools under £20 each. ive had one of these for years and have also got the nail gun, which is an excellent tool

i have built all sorts of things with it from fences to recladding a shed. saves a huge amount of work

Thanks for that, I looked at the Aldi ones last time they had them and nearly bought one, but by the time I persuaded myself I needed one there was none left :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning

Couldn`t agree more.
When I was working I had a large compressor in the workshop, but for many years used the Aldi 7 Cu ft machine for day to day work. Never let me down, and was easily transportable. I now use it for the same purposes that you require it for. Indispensable, as are the air tools that they occasionally sell. Perfectly adequate for normal use. Go for it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I was thinking of getting a mains air compressor for home,
John

The critical figure is cubic feet per minute or litres per minute that it can compress.

If you buy a 4cu/ft gadget and stick in on a 2 cu/ft compressor it won't run for long.

So really you look at the gadgets and match the compressor to them.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I got the Stanley one from screwfix a while ago, quite good , I have only used it for topping up the tyres on the M/H , did it no probs. Decent output too.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The critical figure is cubic feet per minute or litres per minute that it can compress.

If you buy a 4cu/ft gadget and stick in on a 2 cu/ft compressor it won't run for long.

So really you look at the gadgets and match the compressor to them.

and, with a couple of exceptions (nail gun and tyre inflator), NONE of the Aldi accessories are suitable for their compressor.

The compressors capacity and delivery isnt enough for such as air rachets, air nibblers and impact guns....even the nail gun must be used in moderation, you cant just bang away like a machine gun.

Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Thread resurrection, mains air compressor recommendation sought as we appear to live in a part of the country where it costs £1 to do 5 PSI. Either the air pumps in garages around the West Midlands are knackered or they are on the take.

So am drawn to this unit in the OP:

Stanley 24ltr Electric Compressor With 5 Piece Accessory Kit

1659466405021.png

A good buy? Any other bargains been spotted recently? Cheers.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I’ve got the one you highlighted golly its a good bit of kit 👍

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I bought a 'silent' one off amazon, it has been great for the van tyres. It's not silent of course but it doesn't make you jump out of your skin when it starts. I'll look for a link, was £90.

ORAZIO Air Compressor Oil Free 24 Litre, 800W 65DB Low Noice Silent Portable Electric Air Compressor with Pure Copper Motor for Home Workshop, Mobile Garage, Dental Clinic 241184 https://amzn.eu/d/azpB82D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The problem with these little compressors is the compressor and motor are built as one unit.
If the motor OR compressor fail you have to buy a complete unit.
The motor on my Aldi special burst into flames ...ruined
After that I bought a proper 30ltr industrial compressor.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have the Aldi compressor and use it mainly for tyres. Not enough CFM for any big tools but when the tank has filled take it to the MH and quickly does all 6 tyres. Much better than the garage inflators where it takes forever to do all the wheels . The garage ones near me rarely make a good deal on the valves. Just keeps eating my pound coins!!

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
I bought a Makita battery air pump for the MH. Very light and quart, runs of (already owned) 18v battery.. Ideal for checking and topping up the MH and car tyres. The emergency tyre inflater that came with the MH was very heavy and should be replaced every 3 years I believe so the Makita plus some emergency tyre repair cans now do this job. No good for a nail gun however. Need to check max pressure if using camping tyres that run at 85psi!!!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
The problem with these little compressors is the compressor and motor are built as one unit.
If the motor OR compressor fail you have to buy a complete unit.
The motor on my Aldi special burst into flames ...ruined
After that I bought a proper 30ltr industrial compressor.
At £60 its not a big deal
Had my one for years
OK for most domestic jobs
Spray gun had lots of use
Struggles with air ratchet if you are in a hurry though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread