New Motorhome Security - Advice Please (1 Viewer)

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi everyone,

We take delivery of our new Adria MH here in Spain on 3 May and I'm trying to decide what forms of security are essential/desirable.

I have it in mind to return to the UK in October and get an alarm fitted then but in the meantime, I'd appreciate some of your thoughts on physical security devices/procedures to use while we're away and for when the MH is stored locally in a secure compound.

First, I understand that new Ducato-based vehicles have cab door deadlocks and a decent immobiliser system as standard. Do I need more in that area?

I can see that devices to prevent the window handles being opened through the frame seals are essential. Any advice on this, please?

Also, the habitation and garage doors - are extra locks/bars worth the cost? If so, what's considered the best way to go here?

Finally, I'll be sourcing some window/door alarms ahead of getting a full system installed in October. Recommendations for both types would be welcomed. :Smile:

Many thanks in anticipation :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, 1st for me there is only one security system woth fitting and that Eddie Vanbitz's strike back with a few extras for additional lockers etc.

i also have a tracker fitted, whether you go for self monitor or a system covered by european monitoring is a personal choice.

the Fiat immobiliser appears to be a good one.

i am not a fan of additional locks on habitation ans lockers, ( extra damage caused when breaking in ).

Jim has a great book on motorhome Security worth a read.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Falcon 269 and welcome :thumb:-locks only keep honest people out :Smile: No need for extra security unless it's for your peace of mind -Mines an old van so all I have had done is a cat 1 alarm/immobilizer -window wise you have to be inside to press and hold a button in on the catches-so if someone is going to force these there's nothing much you can do
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our Boxer based van has deadlocks on the cab doors, they can't be opened from inside or outside using the handles when they are locked.
We have the standard immobiliser, 2 trackers fitted, a GPS tracker and a GSM unit. Both monitored. We also have an Armacat catalytic converter security device. Oh, and a steering wheel Disklock and locking wheel nuts.
If all that fails, we have insurance.

Allan

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The best advice I can give you if your van is in storage is find somewhere that is secure and manned 24 7

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
My van is alarmed but I was given good advice by fellow Funsters (Jeff and Alison I think) I met at Monte Cassino last year, they attached a cargo strap to the handrails inside the cab doors so they can't be opened from the outside. I understand a lot of thefts involve items quickly taken from this area. I now use this everywhere I park including campsites, not because I don't trust fellow campers but nowhere is secure from thieves from off-site. I also have a steering wheel lock and intend to get Milenco window alarms and 'lock m out' window locks when I return to England.

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Again, thanks for all the replies.

I guess what I need a bit more enlightenment on is exactly what I'm securing against.

Is it theft of the actual vehicle or a determined break-in to steal as many valuables as can be rounded up in a short search period, or opportunist sneak-thieves who will grab cameras, wallets or whatever else is left in reach in an unguarded moment?

Those with trackers fitted and with steering wheel and gear lever locks must be concerned about the vehicle itself. Is motorhome theft a real big issue in the UK and/or Europe?

I see the logic in saying that extra locks won't deter the serious villain and will only lead to more vehicle damage.

The sort of precautions to counter sneak thieves are common sense and a lot of that must come from a realisation that this sort of thing happens quite frequently. Every reply so far has given me food for thought.

The storage area I have in mind is secured and under 24/7 watch. Not the cheapest but worth it until I can get the Strikeback alarm fitted later in the year. There's nowhere I know of on the Costa Blanca that can fit an equivalent quality alarm which is why I'm having to wait until we can get back to the UK. Unless someone knows otherwise, of course ... :Smile:

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
If its just something temporary as a deterrent how about buying cobra alarm stickers for your windows and you can buy vehicle tracker stickers which they will add your registration number to them? You can buy both from ebay.

:Smile:

Last edited:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Did lots of research on here & the web plus our our experience of being caravanners resulted in Vanbitz Strikeback alarm, Milenco Sleep Safe alarms & Lock M Out on windows, Fiamma locker door locks (tried Milenco ones but very heavy & poorly finished), Heosafe hab door lock (can be secured on outside & still same for getting out in an emergency), locking wheel nuts, cheap phone as a tracker, Clutch Claw, Milenco cab interior locks plus thinking about car safe, etching windows & etching the catalytic converter! Bit of an investment but we intend to keep the motorhome as long as we can... Don't forget a dog lead & a big bowl even if you don't have a dog! Don't want to give away all our secrets but might help a Funster or two?

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Did lots of research on here & the web plus our our experience of being caravanners resulted in Vanbitz Strikeback alarm, Milenco Sleep Safe alarms & Lock M Out on windows, Fiamma locker door locks (tried Milenco ones but very heavy & poorly finished), Heosafe hab door lock (can be secured on outside & still same for getting out in an emergency), locking wheel nuts, cheap phone as a tracker, Clutch Claw, Milenco cab interior locks plus thinking about car safe, etching windows & etching the catalytic converter! Bit of an investment but we intend to keep the motorhome as long as we can... Don't forget a dog lead & a big bowl even if you don't have a dog! Don't want to give away all our secrets but might help a Funster or two?

We had all this......It was never nicked, Damn thing caught fire!

Last edited:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Never thought of using a cheap phone as a tracker, thanks :thumb:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I can't speak for Spain... But in the UK your newish van will either be stolen with keys (by burglary for example) or towed away (handbrake cable cut dragged onto truck).
Key security and good physical security will help prevent this.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a cheap self monitored tracker on ebay about £35. takes a payg sim card and you can set it to text you if the van is started and or moved from storage. then you go online and can track its location or immobilise it by sending a command in a text message. I would also say fit a thatcham approved catagory2 to 1 upgrade alarm to the cab. you can always add a second alarm later and a basic car alarm is better than none at all.

as for add on locks, they will only slow a thief down, plastic windows break very easily with no noise. so there really is little point. install a key locked safe, that is bolted in, not a digital one as those can be opened in seconds too easily. even on a site or aire, double lock the cab doors as these are a weak point

Broken Link Removed

ryanita

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
crystal
Funster No
MH
RV Hi Top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Again, thanks for all the replies.

I guess what I need a bit more enlightenment on is exactly what I'm securing against.

Is it theft of the actual vehicle or a determined break-in to steal as many valuables as can be rounded up in a short search period, or opportunist sneak-thieves who will grab cameras, wallets or whatever else is left in reach in an unguarded moment?

Those with trackers fitted and with steering wheel and gear lever locks must be concerned about the vehicle itself. Is motorhome theft a real big issue in the UK and/or Europe?

I see the logic in saying that extra locks won't deter the serious villain and will only lead to more vehicle damage.

The sort of precautions to counter sneak thieves are common sense and a lot of that must come from a realisation that this sort of thing happens quite frequently. Every reply so far has given me food for thought.

The storage area I have in mind is secured and under 24/7 watch. Not the cheapest but worth it until I can get the Strikeback alarm fitted later in the year. There's nowhere I know of on the Costa Blanca that can fit an equivalent quality alarm which is why I'm having to wait until we can get back to the UK. Unless someone knows otherwise, of course ... :Smile:

Nice share, same with you. Broken Link RemovedI see the logic in saying that extra locks won't deter the serious villain and will only lead to more vehicle damage.

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Interesting reading - thank you all. :Smile:

It seems reliable stats on actual MH theft are virtually impossible to find. The online databases of stolen vehicles I've seen suggest that maybe only a few dozen a year are going that way. Bad news if it's yours but not a large percentage - unless you know otherwise?

I get the impression that most thefts of newer MHs involve theft of the keys first to disable alarms and engine immobilisers. When not travelling, our keys will be in the safe at home, the MH offsite in secure 24/7 monitored parking.

I realise that nothing will stop the determined pro but alarms don't seem to attract enough response quick enough to scare off smash 'n' grabbers, either. Other than a false peace of mind, are they really worth the cost, I wonder?

The Strikeback alarm enjoys a great reputation but even their sales blurb quotes a case where a theft from Strikeback-protected MH was only averted because the additional GSM Concept module alerted the owners who were shopping in the supermarket car park at the time. No-one else in the vicinity took any notice of the alarm sirens! It took a £300 add-on measure to back up a £600 alarm system. I understand the concept of layered defence and all that but that's a lot of money and my insurance offers no discount for alarm systems.

As a motorcycle owner forced for years to fit alarms just to get insurance cover, I have to say I'm generally sceptical of their value and reliability. I'm a much greater fan of physical security instead. So, for starters, our MH will be getting Heosafe lockable cab and hab door locks, a Clutchclaw and a bolt-in safe. Milenco window alarms on the windows, too, for peace of mind while we're tucked up for the night. A few dummy alarm LEDs and some 'alarm fitted' stickers from ebay for additional visual discouragement of the casual tea-leaf. I'm sure the pros can spot the difference but worth a couple of tenners, eh?

I haven't completely closed my mind to the Strikeback alarm (none of the others will get my money, though) but for now I'm thinking that security starts with a little paranoia based on the realisation that it can and does happen. Be alert, take sensible precautions and never let your guard down. It's not going to spoil our fun, though. :thumb:

Now, anyone know where I can buy a can of pepper spray and one of those girt great extending whackers the police carry? :winky:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The best motorhome security is not to leave valuables laying around your van and to get a dog (or two)!:thumb:

When parked at home, hide your keys well! A safe just shows the thief where all your stuff is!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Strikeback alarm enjoys a great reputation but even their sales blurb quotes a case where a theft from Strikeback-protected MH was only averted because the additional GSM Concept module alerted the owners who were shopping in the supermarket car park at the time. No-one else in the vicinity took any notice of the alarm sirens! It took a £300 add-on measure to back up a £600 alarm system. I understand the concept of layered defence and all that but that's a lot of money and my insurance offers no discount for alarm systems.

People do take notice of alarms, would you ignore an alarm sounding in a Motorhome, while some little Croat was trying to rip a navigation unit out of a dashboard? Would you perhaps take a photo? Phone the police? intervene?

Ifs thief was walking down the road trying door handles and a door opened and an alarm went off, he isn't likely to stand there with his hands up, saying " it was me! take me away" :winky:

So there often isn't anything for people to "take" notice of, when an alarm has been triggered, as it has done its job.

To such an point that our current reprint of our information, which should be ready Peterborough show, doesn't list the GSM pager anymore.

Knowing the alarm has been triggered is useful especially if you have pets, but it is only part of the package. Our new system will be a slimmed down version of the GPS tracker/pager/immobiliser/watchman system we currently offer.

We are bringing this out to specifically combat key theft. A simple SMS command from your phone when you park up means a thief will need to steal you keys and steal your phone ( and know your phone unlock code) to steal your motorhome.

Regards

Eddie

Last edited:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
People do take notice of alarms, would you ignore an alarm sounding in a Motorhome, while some little Croat was trying to rip a navigation unit out of a dashboard? Would you perhaps take a photo? Phone the police? intervene?

Ifs thief was walking down the road trying door handles and a door opened and an alarm went off,[HI] he isn't likely to stand there with his hands up, saying " it was me! take me away"[/HI] :winky:

So there often isn't anything for people to "take" notice of, when an alarm has been triggered, as it has done its job.

To such an point that our current reprint of our information, which should be ready Peterborough show, doesn't list get GSM pager anymore.

Knowing the alarm has been triggered is useful especially if you have pets, but it is only part of the package. Our new system will be a new version of the GPS tracker/pager/immobiliser/watchman system we currently offer.

We are bringing this out to specifically combat key theft. A simple SMS command from your phone when you park up means a thief will need to steal you keys and steal your phone ( and know your phone unlock code) to steal your motorhome.

Regards

Eddie

I have to agree with Eddie. The times I have heard people say that audible alarms are a waste of time because on-one takes any notice. This may be true, from their point of view. :Doh:

However, they should look at it from the point of view of the thief. If an alarm goes off so will the thief be off. He/she will not wait around to see if someone takes notice. The owner may be just round the corner or some one may be watching the van for its owner. The thief does not know! :thumb:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
The best motorhome security is not to leave valuables laying around your van and to get a dog (or two)!:thumb:

When parked at home, hide your keys well! A safe just shows the thief where all your stuff is!

AND THAT'S NOT ALL! :winky:

I hope those that do have safes do not have one of the modern electronic type of so called "safes"! :cry:

Have a look at this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyGhEIbZLUU"]Opening a safe with a potato! - YouTube[/ame]

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Or This: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcYB9ceiAiY"]How to crack a safe without any tools?! - YouTube[/ame]

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
However, they should look at it from the point of view of the thief. If an alarm goes off so will the thief be off. He/she will not wait around to see if someone takes notice. The owner may be just round the corner or some one may be watching the van for its owner. The thief does not know! :thumb:

It isn't my intent to extend a debate on response to alarms - suffice to say that I believe that the majority of thieves know how long they have to do their thing and will hang around to see it through.

In my experience, most people hearing an alarm first wonder if it's a false one, then maybe wonder exactly where the annoying noise is coming from and finally - maybe - think about investigating, usually reluctantly for fear of getting caught up with villains. Sorry, but that's human nature for the most part.

For Eddie, please understand I'm not dissing your very highly regarded system and you may yet be hearing from me to book an appointment. I look forward to learning more about your updated product. :Smile:

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Future installs

Ifs thief was walking down the road trying door handles and a door opened and an alarm went off, he isn't likely to stand there with his hands up, saying " it was me! take me away" :winky:

To such an point that our current reprint of our information, which should be ready Peterborough show, doesn't list the GSM pager anymore.

Knowing the alarm has been triggered is useful especially if you have pets, but it is only part of the package. Our new system will be a slimmed down version of the GPS tracker/pager/immobiliser/watchman system we currently offer.

Regards

Eddie

Eddie will the new slimmed down system be the one fitted to bookings already made I am due for an install at the end of the month.
PM me if you like.

Mike

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Regards

Eddie
so eddie, not being funny but your new slimmed down system is identical in operation to the tracker controlled by phone i posted before at £35. a geo fence and remote engine immobilisation is a really good feature, but doesnt need to cost hundreds of pounds to implement

for some people security is a really big issue, but they cant pay the sort of prices others take for granted. just wanted to point out that there are nearly identical systems available at all price levels. marketing budgets and implied value play a very big part though dont they

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
so eddie, not being funny but your new slimmed down system is identical in operation to the tracker controlled by phone i posted before at £35. a geo fence and remote engine immobilisation is a really good feature, but doesnt need to cost hundreds of pounds to implement

for some people security is a really big issue, but they cant pay the sort of prices others take for granted. just wanted to point out that there are nearly identical systems available at all price levels. marketing budgets and implied value play a very big part though dont they

I see from your profile that you have experience in electronics. Do you have this system fitted to your MH? Was it simple to fit - ie, for a layman like me?

I have to say I'd be a bit reticent to cut into the wiring on a brand new vehicle to install a cheap Far East-sourced system which would probably void my warranty in a heartbeat.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Interesting reading - thank you all. :Smile:

Now, anyone know where I can buy a can of pepper spray and one of those girt great extending whackers the police carry? :winky:

Pepper spray available from many tabacs in France and probably Spain (though probably still illegal there). You could just buy a big metal torch.

When stored I put my MH in 1st gear and leave the handbrake off. This avoids the possibility of the brakes jamming on over a period, and also makes it more difficult to tow. Also worthwhile putting steering on maximum lock, also to make it more difficult to get on a low loader.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I see from your profile that you have experience in electronics. Do you have this system fitted to your MH? Was it simple to fit - ie, for a layman like me?

I have to say I'd be a bit reticent to cut into the wiring on a brand new vehicle to install a cheap Far East-sourced system which would probably void my warranty in a heartbeat.
cheap far east? where do you honestly believe the other components come from? as a clue most have made in china printed on them

if you get a qualified auto electrician to install your tracker/immobiliser at the same time as an upgrade alarm, then no issue with warranty. plus a certified installation for your insurer too

have i got the system fitted to my van?...... of course and it was reasonably simple, you just need to find the correct wires to cut into for immobilising the fuel pump etc. most of the job is running wires for aerials, which have prefitted plugs. then you just add a pay as you go sim card for a phone and plug in the box. if you are at all worried about wiring things into a vehicle loom, have a professional do the bits you dont want to. but it really is quite simple if you know how

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
AND THAT'S NOT ALL! :winky:

I hope those that do have safes do not have one of the modern electronic type of so called "safes"! :cry:

Have a look at this: Opening a safe with a potato! - YouTube

Or This: How to crack a safe without any tools?! - YouTube

The thumping method only works if the safe is mounted with gravity assisting the solenoid movement. Ours is mounted 'on end' with the door at the top, probably the most common way of mounting it if bolted to the floor. Thumping it with padlocks potatoes etc does not then work, I've tried. Likewise poking a rod through from the back won't work either as these holes are used for the fixing bolts. The use of a seven pin barrel lock pick hardly counts as using no tools, and that would work on anything using that type of key lock.

That said, one with a key lock is probably sensible, as the electronic ones still have a key (needed if the battery goes flat.)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back