Jim's wifi thingy (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Now I suppose no one dare knock it:Doh: but is the wifi thing that Jim sells complete with aerial for about £70 any good, I see addies similer thing is£169, and on eBay set ups that look identical to Jim's are about twice as much, so has any one got Jim's thing, does it work well, cause I am looking at buying one of these things to pick up my hoped for fon signal and not worried too much on price but don't see the point in spending twice as much as I need to.:thumb:
Thanks for any information, you can pm me if you'd rather have your feelings know on here.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have the router that Jim sells with a different aerial and think it works great , I have had it for about 3 years and had no problems at all , its an Alfa network R36 router

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Now I suppose no one dare knock it:Doh: but is the wifi thing that Jim sells complete with aerial for about £70 any good, I see addies similer thing is£169, and on eBay set ups that look identical to Jim's are about twice as much, so has any one got Jim's thing, does it work well, cause I am looking at buying one of these things to pick up my hoped for fon signal and not worried too much on price but don't see the point in spending twice as much as I need to.:thumb:
Thanks for any information, you can pm me if you'd rather have your feelings know on here.

If anyone PM`s Chaser can you PM me too please as I am looking at the same.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok, I will offer as honest a review as I can on the one that Jim sells as I have one.

First and foremost- It's neat and well delivered in a great pacakage.

I have both the bits, the ariel and the router.

I am no internet expert of techie but know my way around most things pretty simply.

The set up for Jim's is very simple with the ariel. You simply plug it in to your laptop and bang your signals are boosted significantly. So much so that when I used it in ski resort, the Ariel picked up signals not available on the wifi and the campsite signal and speed was boosted drastically.

Now the bad news. I can use it through a laptop but no matter how much I try, I can not for the life of me get the router set up. I have followed instructions word for word and it goes through all the processe's that it says it should but refuses to connect the Ipad, Galaxy Tab laptop PC or Galaxy phones through it. There seems little explanation but I hope to have it with me at Chester if anyone would like to have a play and show me what I am doing wrong.

This is of course not to say it does not work but simply I am an idiot and can't set the router up properly. Once set up, if the router works as well as the ariel does on it's own then I am sure it will be a very very useful bit of kit.

Freelander even offered to set mine up but I got carried away with something else. I will have another try with soon for sure, but just with the ariel on the laptop its ace.

Hope that helps and will give further details after Chester.

OH and BTW Pandaj is that a Come on You Palace in your signiture?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not Jim's but I have bought a long range usb network panel off ebay for about £13 pulls the signal in really well

Broken Link Removed

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Ok, I will offer as honest a review as I can on the one that Jim sells as I have one.

First and foremost- It's neat and well delivered in a great pacakage.

I have both the bits, the ariel and the router.

I am no internet expert of techie but know my way around most things pretty simply.

The set up for Jim's is very simple with the ariel. You simply plug it in to your laptop and bang your signals are boosted significantly. So much so that when I used it in ski resort, the Ariel picked up signals not available on the wifi and the campsite signal and speed was boosted drastically.

Now the bad news. I can use it through a laptop but no matter how much I try, I can not for the life of me get the router set up. I have followed instructions word for word and it goes through all the processe's that it says it should but refuses to connect the Ipad, Galaxy Tab laptop PC or Galaxy phones through it. There seems little explanation but I hope to have it with me at Chester if anyone would like to have a play and show me what I am doing wrong.

This is of course not to say it does not work but simply I am an idiot and can't set the router up properly. Once set up, if the router works as well as the ariel does on it's own then I am sure it will be a very very useful bit of kit.

Freelander even offered to set mine up but I got carried away with something else. I will have another try with soon for sure, but just with the ariel on the laptop its ace.

Hope that helps and will give further details after Chester.

OH and BTW[HI] Pandaj is that a Come on You Palace in your signiture?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

It most certainly is, well spotted.:thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For me the wireless has got to work, havnt got a laptop anymore , I have an ipad and Julie has a nexus 7, we also have phones that work on wifi but nothing we can plug in, been looking on you tube at setting them up and they seem to have to be hooked up to a laptop to do the initial setup so that's another drawback.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I use the router with my nexus 7 , my Samsung Galaxy 4 , my HTC sensation and a Samsung 120 note book and have never had a problem connecting to it , I found that the router works very well with any
Long range aerial with the reatek 8187L chip set and you can update the software to work with the ralink 3070 chip set, I have had connections of over a mile away with my set up and connected to many fon and unsecured networks

To set the router up to the nexus 7 by WiFi just type 192.168.2.1 in to the address bar of your browser and login and password is admin as simple as that

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Paul ,
I am wondering if it has anything to do with your browser settings when you try to set up the router, as when you type in the 192.168.2.1 in your browser address bar a login box pops up , do you have a setting turned on to stop pop ups openening

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I use the router with my nexus 7 , my Samsung Galaxy 4 , my HTC sensation and a Samsung 120 note book and have never had a problem connecting to it , I found that the router works very well with any
Long range aerial with the reatek 8187L chip set and you can update the software to work with the ralink 3070 chip set, I have had connections of over a mile away with my set up and connected to many fon and unsecured networks

To set the router up to the nexus 7 by WiFi just type 192.168.2.1 in to the address bar of your browser and login and password is admin as simple as that

Thanks but all this techo stuff is above me, but do I take it then, that although yours is slightly different all we have to do is plug Jim's in and plug the aerial in as well, type in what you say and we are away:thumb:
In that case what can haganap be doing wrong
Sorry posted at the same time

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

if only it were.... I have done this numerrous times with both my galaxy, my Ipad my laptop other phones.

It simply never has a problem connecting to the router, the problem comes with the router connecting to the wireless networks available.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
not Jim's but I have bought a long range usb network panel off ebay for about £13 pulls the signal in really well

Broken Link Removed

Do you have to rotate the unit to find the best signal ?

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I bought the complete unit at the Manchester Show. The only problem I had was differentiating between setting up the received signal settings and the output settings from the router.
I did eventually set it up with an iPad Mini. As was said previously type in 192.168.1.1 having previously connected in the iPad settings to the device name which is on a label with the password.
It is now set up and both my wife and I have our phones, pads etc set up to automatically connect when "within range". The only future connection is to the remote site, whether it is McDonalds, site wifi or wherever.
I was under the impression that the Motorhome Wifi had an amended browser page to simplify the whole procedure.
Perhaps that question should be put to Addie?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back