DC - high current and heat (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
If like me you run lots of kit via an inverter it's worth checking that you have good contacts on all the electrical connections. Last year a fuse holder began to deform and melt causing me some angst on a hot day!

When replacing this is fuse block I tinned the end of the multiple strands on the thick cables to ensure a good contact.

Today I was checking there's no overheating!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 149

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I crimp a tube lug on the end then cut off all but the crimp, this makes a really solid object for screw terminals to bite on.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
If like me you run lots of kit via an inverter it's worth checking that you have good contacts on all the electrical connections. Last year a fuse holder began to deform and melt causing me some angst on a hot day!

When replacing this is fuse block I tinned the end of the multiple strands on the thick cables to ensure a good contact.

You’d be horrified by the number of fires caused by resistance heating (loose or bad connections). Good, helpful post Sidney.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I crimp a tube lug on the end then cut off all but the crimp, this makes a really solid object for screw terminals to bite on.

Sorry Techno.. but If I am understanding this method correctly.. I have to disagree.

Modern terminal blocks don't have screws biting on the strands, rather the strands are compressed between two small plates..

A solid copper sleeve does not make a good connection.. the plates cannot compress it.

I worked offshore on oil and gas platforms as an instrument tech, this would not be allowed, nor would soldering the stands together ..same effect.

Even if it's the bog standard chocolate block connector the same principal applies. Soft strands make a far better connection than a solid piece of copper.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
DC fuse holders either have a stud (preferable) or a grub screw terminal. This is not Merlin Gerin :roflmto:
The flat face of a Hexagonal crimp is perfect for a large grub screw
BTW instrumentation does not carry huge currents which is the point of this topic
Example
CA_10191217522913-L.jpg

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
DC fuse holders either have a stud (preferable) or a grub screw terminal. This is not Merlin Gerin :roflmto:

a stud is not what you were describing in your first post ..
screw terminals to bite on.
and a screw terminal shouldn't have a solid copper lug in it ..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a stud is not what you were describing in your first post .. and a screw terminal shouldn't have a solid copper lug in it ..

in an industrial installation (i know this isnt industrial) we ALWAYS terminate stranded wire with either a soft copper or aluminium furel if it enters any kind of screw terminal equipment/plant.
Domestic, we simply twist and double back then terminate

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Grub screw terminals on fuse holders do not have metal plates to protect the copper

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
in an industrial installation (i know this isnt industrial) we ALWAYS terminate stranded wire with either a soft copper or aluminium furel if it enters any kind of screw terminal equipment/plant.
Domestic, we simply twist and double back then terminate

two schools of though on this John.. some say ferrules maker a neater and better connection.. others say they are more prone to vibrating loose..

off shore and in the Shell oil refinery.. they were banned.. yet in the SSEB power station I worked on they were mandatory :Doh:

Only reason I can see is.. one is high risk(refinery) .. other is not.. (power station)

this is a similar argument as the PTFE tape .. banned offshore .. yet ok in most other places..

Last edited:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have no idea what any of you are talking about :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
soft crimp ferrules are mandatory for MOD installations, or at least they were a few years back. even then there were discussions about whether they were mechanically safe in hazardous environments. vibration or constant snatching and pulling on connections were prone to failure

in motorhomes, its hardly a hazardous environment and other than charging circuits and inverters they tend to be low current connections. some installations are dire, i agree, but going too OTT is pointless and adds expense and complexity where its not needed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

I'm now in a position to supply explanatory pictures.
Clearly if welding cable was put into a screw terminal it would simply part down the middle and crush under a grub screw. So for fuse holders
CA_06051412155669-M.jpg

CA_06051412162941-M.jpg

No arguments make your own choices :thumb:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

From what I've read (and experienced), tinning is actually a bad idea as it converts the wire end into something that's relatively soft and "plastic" with no elastic properties. Repeated heating and cooling cycles due to current load lead to a gradual loss of contact pressure that accelerates the heating due to falling contact pressure.

I'm no electrician but I've heard this from several sources and it makes sense to me. I think you need to recheck the temperature periodically to check that it isn't overheating.

Tim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm now in a position to supply explanatory pictures.

No arguments make your own choices :thumb:

Yes indeed I will.. and I won't be using a solid copper end in a screw terminal block..

your first picture clearly shows the screw biting into the copper.. a small moon shaped crescent.. very poor contact area and liable to overheat.. and vibrate loose.. your choice.. :winky:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes indeed I will.. and I won't be using a solid copper end in a screw terminal block..

your first picture clearly shows the screw biting into the copper.. a small moon shaped crescent.. very poor contact area and liable to overheat.. and vibrate loose.. your choice.. :winky:

That's not the ONLY point of contact, the whole lug is pushed hard against the back of the receptacle :Doh:

BTW I've just removed that after nearly a year and NO it did not get the slightest bit loose nor did it get hot.

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Perhaps you could take a lead from electrical accessory manufacturers? Socket outlets have grub screw terminals, for termination of general wiring cable. Connection units have grub screws, for supply general wiring cable and compression clamps for load flexible cable.

Also, as electrical designers we would never use single strand cables in grub screw terminals, because the screws are intended to cut into the conductor.

All of which makes me wonder if using flexible cable for accessory wiring in a motorhome is the best advice.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Re soldering the end that goes into the block. I ran a business refurbishing TVs etc a few years back and one of the causes of blown power supplies was an arching mains plug and 9 out of 10 times it was a soldered ends that had flattened over time and become loose. So dont solder the tails.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
In the Gas Industry hazardous areas, you put stranded cable into ferrules then into the connector. Solid strand cable goes directly into the connector.

Tightness of all connections is checked every two years while doing an audit of the electrical / instrumentation equipment.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Just to put in my 2p worth. I've just taken the charger out of my Sargent PSU2007 unit to replace the fan with a ball bearing fan old one was noisey). All connections to the charger (including the 13.5V 14.5A output) had ferrules on the cable ends. Termination was by clamping between two plates.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Personally, I think most clamps/screw terminals work best with stranded, un-tinned, un-ferruled cable. This is because as stranded cables compress and have far more spring, they aren't susceptible to any slight backing off due to pressure or corrosion.

This is provided that the terminal provides some sort of enclosure to push back against. A simple screw against a plate is useless and basically requires a crimp onto a ring to be reliable.

A softish ferrule on stranded cable is not so bad, as it still has enough elasticity, but any solder and it is pretty much guaranteed to fail in a few years unless it is actually soldered to the fitting itself.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
You’d be horrified by the number of fires caused by resistance heating (loose or bad connections). Good, helpful post Sidney.

Are there more or less overheating problems cause by overloading the wire when compared to poor connections?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back