LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Apologies if this has already been on but I haven't much for the past few weeks so may have missed it.

Support for XP is ending I'm told by MS when I turn the desktop on. Great OS but it won't be worth upgrading when 99% of my time is on the laptop. Do I bin it or just use it for the odd programme and ignore any connection with the internet to avoid viruses and glitches?

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Apologies if this has already been on but I haven't much for the past few weeks so may have missed it.

Support for XP is ending I'm told by MS when I turn the desktop on. Great OS but it won't be worth upgrading when 99% of my time is on the laptop. Do I bin it or just use it for the odd programme and ignore any connection with the internet to avoid viruses and glitches?
I have have the same problem, I have been quoted £130 to upgrade my notebook to Windows 7 but if I go on eBay I can get a brand new 9" tablet for £45 !! , so that's what I have done.::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Just because support stops it does not mean XT stops. I've had upgrades turned off for years. Just keep anti-virus up to date.

That's my take.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm ploughing on regardless, I've just switched back to AVG free from MS Essentials. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm ploughing on regardless, I've just switched back to AVG free from MS Essentials. :thumb:

Why - since I'm still on essentials.

There are tens of millions of XPs out there and the only people unhappy about this is Microsoft.

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]Why[/HI] - since I'm still on essentials.

There are tens of millions of XPs out there and the only people unhappy about this is Microsoft.

I assumed that essentials would no longer protect me following the expiry date so I reluctantly changed back, I take it I got that bit wrong then?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I take it I got that bit wrong then?

Not at all, I've no idea. Being M$ it is quite possible they will turn off Essentials, all they are interested in is selling W8.

But huge numbers of businesses refused to move from XP so it's not clear to me what will happen. Capitalism being what it is we may see an opportunity to keep XP going. Huge opportunity for the anti-virus people to step in and plug any gaps.

Don't Panic.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The ending of support doesn't really have anything to do with viruses or other malware.

What it means is that when errors are found in XP code then Microsoft will no longer provide fixes for them. Some of those errors might make the OS vulnerable to malware attacks but not all of them.

As far as viruses go, anti-virus software will continue to be updated by publishers to counter newly identified threats, just as happens now.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Put Windows 7 on my old laptop last weekend, it was either that or doing a clean reinstall of XP because it had slowed down so much.:Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The problem is not that bugs will be found in XP. It's that bugs will be found in windows 7 that also affect XP. These will be fixed in windows 7 by a patch being issued by MS. The hackers will look at what the patches fix and know very quickly and relatively easily how to exploit XP problems.

The issue here is that this will effectively be a zero day exploit. Where the exploit is available and publicly known before AV signatures can be updated. And if the exploit is something that can't be defended against by an AV solution then bang yet another recruit to the botnet spewing spam, stealing credentials and generally being a bad neighbour on the internet.

I would strongly recommend anyone still running XP to upgrade to 7, move to an alternative OS like Linux or unplug that computer from the net.

Keeping your fingers crossed and hoping that little old you won't be affected or even can't be affected will only end in tears.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back