Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I'm over here for a while and have just installed a solar panel. Thats as far as I have got. I was relying on a local company to get me a 10m Mc4 extension but they seem to be struggling to get one and it appears they are as rare as hens teeth!
By now I could have had one sent over from good old blightey and to be honest wish I had done now. (Doing so is probably going to take ages and i'm fed up with waiting now).
Is there an alternative type of connection that is just as watertight or does anyone have any suggestions to a home made connection that is just as robust as an Mc4? :thumb:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry missed the bit about Spain. But why not get one sent from the UK.

:Cool:

I have a nice new 160w panel fitted to the roof and all of my batteries are now gasping for some charge. I should have had the connectors today but now not likely until late next week whichever way I get them.
In the meantime I want to get some of this lovely sun fed through to my batteries. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have a nice new 160w panel fitted to the roof and all of my batteries are now gasping for some charge. I should have had the connectors today but now not likely until late next week whichever way I get them.
In the meantime I want to get some of this lovely sun fed through to my batteries. :thumb:
While you are waiting for one to be sent from the UK.... open a window and slip the cable through to a control box.

Alan

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
While you are waiting for one to be sent from the UK.... open a window and slip the cable through to a control box.

Alan

I would love to do that but the cable is about 20 inches long and has mc4's attached so a no goer :thumb:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Chop the MC4 off... !!
Connect inside a weatherproof box and affix to roof.. Job done..

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Can you not open the connection box on the back of the panel and connect some temporary cables direct from the panel to the regulator till connectors arrive?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Personally I can't offer a better alternative. MC4 connectors are the best and real easy to customise if you have the crimping tool.
Terminations and branch connectors can be found so cheaply now.
MC4%201-M.jpg

MC4%202-M.jpg

MC4%203-M.jpg

MC4%204-M.jpg

MC4%205-M.jpg

M%26F%20branch%20connectors-M.jpg

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

EDIT If you were nearby I'd make you one. Good luck

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is there an alternative type of connection that is just as watertight or does anyone have any suggestions to a home made connection that is just as robust as an Mc4? :thumb:

Twist, solder, coat with 2 layers of contact adhesive, finish with self amalgamating tape. Won't look as good. Possibly better than a connector.

But if you can get the tails through the roof you can use standard strip connectors.

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
My new extention leads are now ordered from the UK. I wanted to keep things neat and tidy and futureproof so keeping the Mc4's is probably the best option as Techno says.
In the meantime and againts my better judgment (I can't believe I'm going to say this) I'm going to shove some 4mm wire in the ends of the connectors and secure them with suitable tape and put them in a plastic bag, sealed at the ends (a right lash up.:Blush:) Hopefully there'll be no rain in spain until I get the right stuff!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back