Anyone else hate bridges (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Am off to Chepstow at the weekend and the most straightforward route would probably be over the Severn Bridge but there is another option without too many extra miles thank goodness because just the thought of driving over that bridge makes me dizzy. :Eeek: I have to wear blinkers to drive over our local flyover in the town centre.:ROFLMAO: I have always suffered from vertigo anyone else out there have the same problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have a dog who hates bridges ... they remind her of going on a ferry which terrifies her!!! :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Vertigo

Heights terrify me and yes I do tend to grip the wheel and stare straight ahead on viaducts. Strangely though I managed to survive 30 yrs in the fire service, although that was probably done by getting promoted to a rank which allowed me to stand on the ground and point at things. I also get terrifying flashbacks after a height experience which have me waking in the middle of the night in a cold sweat.:cry:
Geoff.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
There is a single track road in the Alps where you ought not to take a motorhome. We did, We won't do it again. We were totally petrified. We knew we had made a mistake, if we could have found a place to turn round we would have taken it. There was none. On a scale of one to ten, it was a ten.

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
glos a40--a48 as said and stop at white hart big car pk
Ahh thanks for that but I am going to the David Broom
events centre Cricklands to watch my grand daughter riding. They are already there using my newly acquired motorhome because their newly acquired horsebox wasn't ready in time :Sad: so I am off on Friday to check out my pride and joy :winky: I expect its full of horse sh..t and straw but couldn't say no could I :Sad: They were all so looking forward to staying in it for the first time my son had worked his socks off getting it ready but unfortunately he just ran out of time :cry:

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
There is a single track road in the Alps where you ought not to take a motorhome. We did, We won't do it again. We were totally petrified. We knew we had made a mistake, if we could have found a place to turn round we would have taken it. There was none. On a scale of one to ten, it was a ten.
:Eeek: Sounds really scary. Roads with big drop at the side really freak me out !!

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I love bridges, especially on the bike.
I'm less keen on the cross winds that often prevail on them though.
We crossed the Pont De Normandie four times last year, two-up and fully loaded.
The first time over, it was all I could do to keep the bike upright as the gusts buffeted our side.
We were barely able to make more than 15 - 20 mph all the way across....not nice..:Sad:
Great view though..:thumb:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I'm the same - heights, bridges & mountain roads. When we have to go over the bridge at Dartford we have to be in lane 3 so I'm in the middle of the bridge. I make Alan drive through Bolougne rather than go over the bridge on the A16 and go via Rouen from Honfleur rather than cross the Pont de Normandie!! But I genuinely have panic attacks.

It's very restricting and it's got worse as I get older.

It's good to know I'm not the only one :Smile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Terrys' scared of heights and I coaxed him to walk across the pontcysyllte aqueduct in llangollen Wales., I think that's how you spell it.
He said he wouldn't do that again in a hurry.lol

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
For future reference there are two Severn bridges, one (the old one) is a series of suspension bridges which are particularly 'open' to the elements, views of the drop and give a sort of 'scary' crossing.
However, the newer Severn bridge is a totally different beast, it just appears to the driver that it is just a normal road - OK if your really look you could see the sea underneath, however at a much more 'distance' view and not the 'shit, the sea and drop is directly below me'.
:Eeek:
Been stuck on the old one once where the traffic had jammed up, the wind was howling, the rain horizontal and the bridge closed lights were being set. Jesus, I could see the lights of the bridge moving back and fore in the distance and the bridge was shunting - I looked across at a motorist next to me and both of us could see each other's heads bobbing up and down. Was I glad to get off there, headed for the next services with a good loo.
:roflmto:

I always feel a little at risk on the old bridge, but the newer one is totally different to the motorist.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

JonMac46

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2013
OH and I were both freaked crossing the Loire at Nantes. Going South we used the East one, coming back we hoped the West one was better - it wasn't.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I'm not normally scared of heights, etc., but once ventured forth onto the Carrick-A-Reade rope bridge in Antrim. Never again :Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thought this was about Jeff Bridges.. :roflmto:

wife hates high bridges.. especially the QE2 ..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The only thing about bridges which I find scary is where they are subject to a weight limit of say 5T and I am never quite sure of our total weight. I came across one in France a few years ago and got the wife and kids to walk over,, I then followed with my eyes shut.:Doh:

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
bridges

i get vertigo as well going over bridges. its because you are much higher up,or at least we are in our iveco 'beast' conversion!:Eeek:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Am off to Chepstow at the weekend and the most straightforward route would probably be over the Severn Bridge but there is another option without too many extra miles thank goodness because just the thought of driving over that bridge makes me dizzy. :Eeek: I have to wear blinkers to drive over our local flyover in the town centre.:ROFLMAO: I have always suffered from vertigo anyone else out there have the same problem.

The new bridge has horrible barriers that restrict the view somewhat, which you might prefer. The carriageway is also wider, with cars much further from the edge. A bit longer to Chepstow, as you'll have to turn back afterwards. Otherwise, it is the long hike up to Gloucester.

Personally, I prefer the old Severn Bridge, as it is a much more impressive experience and not significantly longer to South Wales.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Same problem here, I tend to grip the wheel and stare forwards:whatthe:

Bridges, drops etc all as I've got older.

Mont Ventoux got me a couple of years back, no big drops but when you go over the crest, well lets say I had to change items of clothing afterwards.....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just the thought of driving over that bridge makes me dizzy. :Eeek:

Piece of cake, you can do it.

Now here is a real bridge.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 33
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 27

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
no I love the bridges.any new ones that are built I try to get to them.really like the new one going down to the south of france.[my wife thinks I am mad and closes her eyes.]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I'm not normally scared of heights, etc., but once ventured forth onto the Carrick-A-Reade rope bridge in Antrim. Never again :Eeek:

Aaarrgghhh! We were planning to do that on our trip over to Ireland, not so sure now I've read this:Eeek: I could end up on my hands and knees......

Margaret

Eyeinthesky

Free Member
Sep 9, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
It frightens the cr@p out of me...white nickels and a sick feeling. It's almost like your toenails are clawing through your trainers!

Yep I hate bridges...

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Piece of cake, you can do it.

Now here is a real bridge.

Now that bridge!! when it was built Alan was determined to go over it, as we approached it and I saw it in the distance I went into panic, couldn't breathe & started crying! He pulled off the autoroute at the junction before and the kids suggested I drink half a bottle of gin and smoke half a dozen fags - and they hated me smoking :roflmto:

Anyway I decided to get into the back of the car and hide behind a pillow, as we went over and I peeked I realised it wasn't as bad as I thought because it's level and there are wind baffles so you can't see over the side. We have been over it since.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Heights never used to bother me until about 5yrs ago since then I can't go near a cliff edge. I can go over bridges and at height on the road but with the jitters :cry:
I used to work on roofs sloped and flat and very high, on very high ladders no problems 2x3storey ladders spliced together with rope :Eeek: a major H&S issue nowadays :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Terrys' scared of heights and I coaxed him to walk across the pontcysyllte aqueduct in llangollen Wales., I think that's how you spell it.
He said he wouldn't do that again in a hurry.lol

I met my wife Sian, abseiling off that viaduct::bigsmile:

6925559970_d6c24ecd87.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back