Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
OK here is the problem..................engine is switched off, radion is playing, turn key and switch engine on, fire it up and the bloody radio goes off and the reversing camera doesnt work .......Any ideas, could it be a short circuit somewhere.

TA

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
does it go off with ignition on without starting engine? or do they still work?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I currently have a problem with my electrics which will be (hopefully) rectified when I return to England. The radio and reversing camera are amongst the items affected in the van, which developed after I had a new fridge fitted. Unfortunately I only found out when I got off the ferry in Spain!

Anyway, if you pull the radio out you will find that an additional wiring block has been added so that the radio can work off the leisure batteries when the engine is off. My reversing camera is also wired into this block and comes on automatically when I engage reverse gear. I had to remove the block on mine as the radio would not work at all, and reverted to the original wiring so now the radio only works from the engine battery.

I am by no stretch of the imagination handy with electronics (or much else for that matter) but this may be where your problem originates, possibly a loose wire or the fuse for that particular circuit. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about can help you further :Smile:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
many vans do this as standard.

My 'postman pat' work van (fiat doblo) does it and its a bloody pain if you do a bit of stop/start driving.

whats worse with mine....i cant find a way of memorising the set volume so each time i start the engine and turn on the radio i have to reset the volume from next to no sound to audible.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
OK here is the problem..................engine is switched off, radion is playing, turn key and switch engine on, fire it up and the bloody radio goes off and the reversing camera doesnt work .......Any ideas, could it be a short circuit somewhere.

TA

Do you mean the radio and camera go off MOMENTARILLY, while the engine turns over, then come back on when you release the key? If so, many vehicles are designed to do that.

If they go off and stay off after you have started the engine, then that is more complex and I'd ask how you get them to come back on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
No they stay off whilst the engine is running, the radio comes back on when the engine has stopped running.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No they stay off whilst the engine is running, the radio comes back on when the engine has stopped running.

radio has been rewired to hab battery.

Start engine and hab electrics are isolated by a relay, stop engine and hab electrics are reactivated.

Just noticed you have an autotrail but your profile says adria.

Autotrail have hab isolation due to some UK caravan council ruling which doesnt apply to european vans so it seems more likely it is isolating with engine running.

The relay can easily be bypassed....if you can find it.
Other option is have the radio and camera wired to engine battery.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

See what you want to do there is swap the red wire for the black..........
Seriously that's got to be annoying, I wonder if someone's picked up a feed from the wire which puts the alternator "red" warning light on, which would appear live when the ignition goes on but will knock off once the engine is running and the alternator is producing power. If the camera and radio share the same wire, try finding another live feed and tap into that.
Might be wrong here but if it was wired into the hab system, it should still operate when the engine is running or surely the engine wouldn't charge the hab battery ?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
radio has been rewired to hab battery.

Start engine and hab electrics are isolated by a relay, stop engine and hab electrics are reactivated.

not sure if adria's have this relay ( mine does not ) unless it has been retro fitted.

however, easy to check does any of the 12v outlets in the habitation area work when the engine is running. if not than as papajohn says its cut off by relay and you need to rewire your radio feed and reversing camera.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure if adria's have this relay ( mine does not ) unless it has been retro fitted.

however, easy to check does any of the 12v outlets in the habitation area work when the engine is running. if not than as papajohn says its cut off by relay and you need to rewire your radio feed and reversing camera.

just edited and updated my post :Doh:

The op has an autotrail, but his profile says adria.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry should have said this is the first time this has happened since I git the MH 10 day ago, before today everything was working ok no problems.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry should have said this is the first time this has happened since I git the MH 10 day ago, before today everything was working ok no problems.

maybe the isolation relay hasnt been working properly and now is.......and i stand by my diagnosis :thumb:

Cant see any other cause.

OP
OP
M

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
Do you mean the radio and camera go off MOMENTARILLY, while the engine turns over, then come back on when you release the key? If so, many vehicles are designed to do that.

If they go off and stay off after you have started the engine, then that is more complex and I'd ask how you get them to come back on?

I dont, they stay off till the egine is switched off, by the way this is the first time that this has happened since I bought the vehicle 2 weeks ago, prior to today evrything worked fine, I have changed anything or done anything to the MH, perplexed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back