British food to take to France (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2013
peterborough
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
just started
Hi

We are soon visiting two english friends now living in the Vendee.

They have asked us to take over some supplies, mostly basic stuff, PG tips, oxo cubes and things like that. We are adding some of our ideas like sage and onion stuffing and rhubarb to make a crumble.

Would appreciate other ideas for things that are not easily available or are very expensive in France. Nothing that will go off quickly, we are taking the scenic route down probably 8 or 9 days. So basically packets or frozen stuff.

We bought some Tunnocks caramel wafers that they asked for, but we ate the first two packs, not had them for probably 40 years, still the same, Yum.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
....In tomato sauce (which I'm sure is what you meant) cos they only have tins full of Haricot Beans WITHOUT the sauce.....WTH??????:Eeek:

Also, [HI]sliced bread[/HI]....:thumb:

8 or 9 day old sliced bread..............luverly.....:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8 or 9 day old sliced bread..............luverly.....:Doh:
Bread and butter pudding tho surely????? :thumb:
Anyway, with all the preservatives in bread these days it usually goes green whilst remaining beautifully soft and pliable...:Sad:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Taking the suggested list of foods abroad,whats the point why not stay at home and you can be sure of supplies! As a foodie the pleasure to me is trying new foods but not crumble made with Paxo!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Reeling 'em in!

At the risk of 'getting a broadside' in return, I have to admit that most of the items listed so far would not be on our shopping list in the UK, never mind in France :hardhat: Each to their own of course.

Things we have had difficulty in finding:
Assam Tea (although we mostly drink coffee and there's shortage of that in France)
Rolled Oats (for breakfast)
Sugar-free natural muesli (the French selection of cereals is dire and loaded with sugar)

I am fascinated to know why, in France, one would want to buy Australian wine? Now if one were in Newcastle nowadays and wanted to buy coal, I can see the point.

:reel:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
We're also on a mercy (or should that be merci?) mission soon, to take supplies to our son who's currently three months into an apprenticeship in France.

He's requested malt vinegar, Bovril - and cockles! Not sure they'll be quite right by the time we get there... :whatthe:

He's also asked for his brewing kit as although he was pleased to find wine at 1,20 € a bottle, he was shocked to find that real ale is not plentiful over there :roflmto:

Steve :Smile:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am fascinated to know why, in France, one would want to buy Australian wine? Now if one were in Newcastle nowadays and wanted to buy coal, I can see the point.

:reel:

It was tongue in cheek, although I have not yet found a French red to beat good Aussie red and do take some out with me when we go

David

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Haven't got decent gravy granules all over Portugal Spain now France.
You can get bisto sometimes but even that is not the same.
Good old iceland gravy granules.
I know what I'll be bringing next time.
Even the stock cubes are very salty.and very watery.

oh and terry can't find his organic tea bags anywhere.
He's had to to go tetley at a price mind. Marked at £1.95 sold over here for €4.70.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi

We are soon visiting two english friends now living in the Vendee.

They have asked us to take over some supplies, mostly basic stuff, PG tips, oxo cubes and things like that. We are adding some of our ideas like sage and onion stuffing and rhubarb to make a crumble.

Would appreciate other ideas for things that are not easily available or are very expensive in France. Nothing that will go off quickly, we are taking the scenic route down probably 8 or 9 days. So basically packets or frozen stuff.

We bought some Tunnocks caramel wafers that they asked for, but we ate the first two packs, not had them for probably 40 years, still the same, Yum.

Surely they have rhubarb, and always plenty veg on markets, other than that we always find everything we need in the hypermarkets, can't really think of anything we miss when in France.
Have your friends seen any of the van delivery firms that operate in France and Germany where you order your stuff from tesco and it gets lumped up with other peoples orders and delivered about once a month, I know it operates around the dordogne and limosine areas, could find out for you if they are interested.:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It was tongue in cheek, although I have not yet found a French red to beat good Aussie red and do take some out with me when we go
David

Hmmmm! Not sure about that.
For lighter reds, the Burgundy region is supreme. Some great wines from Volnay or, if budget permits, Aloxe-Corton or the sublime Vosne-Romanée. The latter (and not the more expensive versions) has only been on our list once or twice in a lifetime so far.

If your taste is fuller-bodied, Gigondas and its nearby neighbour Vacqueyras come to mind, or the more expensive Chateauneuf-du-Pape (We prefer the former two).

There is plenty of decent stuff to choose from at more accessible prices - even in supermarkets.

Of course there is almost too much choice in Bordeaux and the surrounds, but we brought back some really nice red from St Emilion - made by a vinyard in nearby Lussac.

If you really want strong dark red wine, much of the Cahors AOC is now of good quality - but try it first as it can be a bit sharp and tannic.

I'm not an expert but I am convinced that France is still the wine capital of the world.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Some really good quality sausages - unless they're into making their own!
Stuffing mixes, vacuum packed Gammon & Bacon, Oxo cubes, Gravy granules,
Germolene, Savlon, Imperial Leather soap .... the list goes on! :thumb:

As far as I know fresh Rhubarb is forbidden in any wine producing country as it attracts a special fly that would wipe out the grape crops. I used to live in Bilbao and my parents brought me over some Rhubarb plants which I duly planted but when my next door neighbour saw them (Dutch florist) he said they weren't allowed and immediately destroyed them! Tinned Rhubarb would be OK though!:thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Whenever we go abroad, we fill the freezer with quality burgers and sausages from our local butchers.

Ya can get meat over there, but not proper BBQ stuff :roflmto:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Some really good quality sausages - unless they're into making their own!
Stuffing mixes, vacuum packed Gammon & Bacon, Oxo cubes, Gravy granules,
Germolene, Savlon, Imperial Leather soap .... the list goes on! :thumb:

As far as I know fresh Rhubarb is forbidden in any wine producing country as it attracts a special fly that would wipe out the grape crops. I used to live in Bilbao and my parents brought me over some Rhubarb plants which I duly planted but when my next door neighbour saw them (Dutch florist) he said they weren't allowed and immediately destroyed them! Tinned Rhubarb would be OK though!:thumb:

This is interesting, I'm sure iv seen rhubarb in France and I have just done a quick google and can't find a word about it being forbidden , what it does say it has to have a cold winter so only grows in parts where you get one:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back