LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Following the thread of do you use the loo --it's got me thinking - do you use the loo sink ? sounds a daft question but we always used the loo but I can only remember the sink being used to store Ann's makeup bag and wet ones -we always stored toothpaste /brush in the loo cupboard but we always brought it out and used the kitchen sink --question is do I need to put a loo sink in the van or not ? would it put you off buying or not ? is it a must have?
terry

Last edited:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Terry, it would put me off without one - where do you wash the hands after a dump. You would have to open the door, close the door and shuffle to the sink to wash your hands,,,,, all the nice clean dishes on the drainer - wife bent over cleaning her teeth etc - or am I looking at it the wrong way round?

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Without a sink in the little room where would you shave and brush your teeth?

JJ :Cool:

leccy /rechargeable razor and already said clean teeth in kitchen sink
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, it would put me off without one - where do you wash the hands after a dump. You would have to open the door, close the door and shuffle to the sink to wash your hands,,,,, all the nice clean dishes on the drainer - wife bent over cleaning her teeth etc - or am I looking at it the wrong way round?

Trikeman. :winky:

Always had wet ones for wiping hands plus we always have sanitizing foam hand stuff by the kitchen sink -- but yes that's one vote for a sink :Smile: Wife would never have let me leave clean dishes draining for that long ::bigsmile:wiped and put away :thumb: she had me well trained :winky:
terry

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I had this discussion with a few people when designing our van layout.

We decided not to put a sink in the bathroom to save space and to make the bathroom door split the van into two rooms. With the bathroom door open we now have the kitchen sink opposite and a changing area and it works great.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
always use the sink in the bathroom for hand washing and teeth cleaning. wouldnt want toilet germs in the kitchen area, so a small basin in the bathroom is essential. wouldnt buy one without these days.

however we managed just fine years ago in 1960s and 70s vans. in those days you were posh if you had a portapotti inside the van, often behind a curtain. then just a foot pumped single cold tap in the galley area. ohhh those were the days. bugger I'm getting old

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The question is a wind up isn't it. It cannot possibly be serious.

Of course I am serious -why else would I put it in the self build section?
I seriously don't know whether to put a sink in the loo or not :Eeek: hence the very serious question :Smile: no doubt funsters will have a field day but I will get my answer plus a few laughs BTW sink or no sink / do you use it ?
terry

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
huge vote for sink in the toilet, i'm with JJ always wet shave and clean teeth in "our" bathroom sink.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
i would put in a sink, you might regret not doing so later, and it would be so much more awkward when all finished
pete

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
FWIW when I converted our Iveco I didn't put a sink in the wee room. I just felt it would be a waste of effort and we haven't missed it at all. With the door open the kitchen sink is effectively in the same room so we use that.

D.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I want a sink in the loo*. Personal reasons I don't want to go into but don't want the germs in the kitchen sink. Hand sanitiser is okay for bacteria but does not kill viral infections. Soap and water to wash away the virus.

*I'm not even keen on public loos where you have to leave the cubicle to wash your hands. Maybe it's a girl thing :Cool:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Yes definitely need and use the sink in the loo, wouldn`t buy without one, doesn`t seem right using the kitchen sink, plus one can be washing up /preparing a meal and someone else using the loo sink, makes sense to me.

Margaret

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
however we managed just fine years ago in 1960s and 70s vans. in those days you were posh if you had a portapotti inside the van, often behind a curtain. then just a foot pumped single cold tap in the galley area. ohhh those were the days. bugger I'm getting old

What do you mean, 60s and 70s....some of us still have those facilities now ::bigsmile:

Except now the cold water tap is electric.

And wee at the same time? :thumb: as you are brushing :thumb:

Ergonomic innet? saves time!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Works for me :thumb:

(only joking)

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
FWIW when I converted our Iveco I didn't put a sink in the wee room. I just felt it would be a waste of effort and we haven't missed it at all. With the door open the kitchen sink is effectively in the same room so we use that.

D.

Cheers Dave :thumb: while you are on can I pick your brains on GAS up to date regs - I still assume the gas locker has to be metal lined/drop vents :thumb:but can I run a leccy cable through and water pipes through it ?
terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
First thing I did in our van was take out the toilet sink , transformed the room when sitting on toilet and showering, only did it for more room but havnt missed it at all, suppose you do open the door without washing , never thought about it but we havnt died yet so it must be ok but as someone said , I electric shave and use the kitchen sink for teeth.
Wouldn't worry me in another one if there isn't one

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Must have a sink Terry, for all the previous reasons given.. shaving, washing, brushing teeth, and useful if you run out of paper.. :winky:

it's not a big cost .. and if your planning to sell.. it may put some off who want one and not able to fit themselves.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I definately would have a sink in the bathroom, firstly if you dont have a shower everyday, you could strip wash in private.

secondly you would put of a lot of prospective buyers.

I know with a panel van everything is at a premium, a lot of people have those dropped down vanity units above the toilet.

In ours we have gone for a stainless steel bowl surface mounted, not the cheapest option, but an inset one is a lot cheaper, as you can go even smaller.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I definately would have a sink in the bathroom, firstly if you dont have a shower everyday, you could strip wash in private.

secondly you would put of a lot of prospective buyers.

I know with a panel van everything is at a premium, a lot of people have those dropped down vanity units above the toilet.

In ours we have gone for a stainless steel bowl surface mounted, not the cheapest option, but an inset one is a lot cheaper, as you can go even smaller.

It's not a cost thing at all- just that as I read the do you use loo thread it got me thinking- as already said I cannot ever remember us using the sink in there :Smile:Cannot envisage a sink/taps costing much more than 50 quid and it will only take 2 or 3 hrs to build a unit/fit it all-it was on my list of things to do / or not to do ::bigsmile:
Will leave the decision until the loo is fitted and see whats needed deffo not a fold up jobbie
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back