Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Even thou it will be a good few months before we pick it up and then fit, i am still thinking of best way to put the system into the Rig.
Have just looked throu the Destructions and it shows a illustration of the heater fitted to a veh. It shows (Never thought of it) the intake air vent connected inside the veh, Thinking about it suppose its drawing in warm to warmer air so recirculating the warm air instead of pulling in cold air and having to heat it up much more.

Anyone fitted a Eberspacher like this or is there any reason it should or should not be connected in this way.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Even thou it will be a good few months before we pick it up and then fit, i am still thinking of best way to put the system into the Rig.
Have just looked throu the Destructions and it shows a illustration of the heater fitted to a veh. It shows (Never thought of it) the intake air vent connected inside the veh, Thinking about it suppos[HI]e its drawing in warm to warmer air so recirculating the warm air instead of pulling in cold air and having to heat it up much more.
[/HI]
Anyone fitted a Eberspacher like this or is there any reason it should or should not be connected in this way.

yes.. but it also means that stale moist air is being recirculated with no fresh being added .. which also means you will not be removing moisture, resulting in condensation..

.. same as a car heater when run on re circulation..

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
If it's anything like my D4W Hydronic, the noise from the Intake alone would be enough to ensure you fit it to the outside.
The Intake creates more noise than the Exhaust!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I believe the intake has to be in the same room, otherwise the heater would not be able to cycle. If the intake was placed outside the van the heater would run constantly as it would not be able to sense temperature change.

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
I believe the intake has to be in the same room, otherwise the heater would not be able to cycle. If the intake was placed outside the van the heater would run constantly as it would not be able to sense temperature change.

Does your set up have intake from inside your Motorhome, Its something i was not thinking of, decided where heater will be fitted and the route of the pipes/exhaust ect.
The heater is being fitted under the kennel and having a ally/steel box fitted around to keep it clean. Have got a fuel tank 10 ltr from a boat shop, just need to suss out a quick release for the fuel line which will fit on the tank.

Having two possible three outlets around the kennel and footwells.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

never had one Dave so didn't know that..

learn something new every day...

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
The Intake can be fitted externally as mine is but an internal Room Sensor is added to the Control Panel to monitor the ambient temperature.

OP
OP
Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Been scouring Google and a few posts/sites have turned up, one mariner is more or less saying that it needs recirculation warm air, but the noise could be a issue.
But as said, a sensor added inside will solve the problem. But what sensor will we be looking for.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
All blown air heaters recirculate interior air!::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Does your set up have intake from inside your Motorhome, Its something i was not thinking of, decided where heater will be fitted and the route of the pipes/exhaust ect.
The heater is being fitted under the kennel and having a ally/steel box fitted around to keep it clean. Have got a fuel tank 10 ltr from a boat shop, just need to suss out a quick release for the fuel line which will fit on the tank.

Having two possible three outlets around the kennel and footwells.

My intake is on the inside. It is not noisy unlike the exhaust. The intake would be better inside in my opinion as they are susceptible to dirt if on the outside. If there is any dirt on the intake, it will effect the heater. Also think about the exhaust being in close proximity to an intake. Its diesel fumes as you probably know. Would you want them recirculating inside the van ???.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
never had one Dave so didn't know that..

learn something new every day...

They are a good bit of kit, and of course the beauty is that they cut your gas consumtion down a hell of a lot. Diesel is available everywhere.

PS, Thanks for the thanks Jim :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My inlet is fitted behind the driver's seat. The system is noisy when starting up, but after a couple of minutes it's as quiet as a mouse. Externally it sounds like a bloody jet taking off. I didn't fit it myself It came with the van.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive always assumed they are the same as a propex the combustion air intake is out side and the return air inside

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Quote taken from Installation Instructions for D2 Airtronic system:

The air for the heater combustion chamber must not be sucked in from the passenger compartment
of the vehicle

Link to whole document:

http://butlertechnik.com/download/3f/Eberspacher_Airtronic_D2_Technical_Manual.pdf

Call Butler and speak to Steve...very helpful guy.

Telephone +44 (0) 1427 787 121

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I believe the intake has to be in the same room, otherwise the heater would not be able to cycle. If the intake was placed outside the van[HI] the heater would run constantly as it would not be able to sense temperature change.[/HI]

internal remote roomstat !

Temp in room at desired level, heating turns off....regardless of air source.

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
internal remote roomstat !

Temp in room at desired level, heating turns off....regardless of air source.

There seems to be some confusion.

The intake and exhaust for the combustion are both outside.

Completely separate from these are the intake of cold air from the vehicle and the warm air outlet. Both of these are inside the vehicle.

The combustion happens in a sealed chamber and a heat exchanger warms the air.

Before the air is warmed, its temperature is measured. This is how the ECU determines what power level to run. Connecting the cold air intake to the outside world risks forcing CO from the combustion into the vehicle. Also the heating efficiency would be much reduced. External temperature sensors are rubbish and don't work.

To make the thing quieter internally, use longer ducts. The convoluted cardboard ducts damp the fan noise quite well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back