What is a non-offensive offer? (1 Viewer)

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Broken Link Removed

This 760 Bailey has been on auto trader a few weeks at least. It has an awning, reversing camera (and box top with ladder plus fiamma cover either of which we don't need or want).

1) What would be a reasonable offer without causing offence?

2) There are others with higher mileage (ex-hire) - would it be wise to consider those? High mileage doesn't annoy me but the wear & tear & the fact that people probably don't look after them if they're hiring the way a private owner would does.

I had my eye on one with low mileage & the guy said he would take £35,000 but he sold it on Sunday as we coudn't make it over for at least another week & I'm sorry I didn't just send a deposit as it was probably as good as it gets.

Thanks in advance.

Dot

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
An offer made correctly is never really offensive.

I love this motorhome but I've only got X

or better still invoke a higher authority
I would love this but My wife/mum/ will kill me if I go over X

An offer like that will garner sympathy rather than offence and will let you know if the seller is likely to move :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have just seen one on a dealers website new 2014 model £42k...
My experience is that you can often barter 5 -10% off a new one with no part ex but have to work at it.
Considering this one is registered in theory vat at 20% has been lost plus maybe 5% for a years use..

My offer would be nearer £34k....

ps are you after a rear U lounge and dinette?? I have my 2012 Autotrail apache 700 coming up for sale.. (wink) :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
Seems a big van for a 2.2 engine, underpowered?

I don't think it would be a major issue - I tend to drive 60 or under, esp in a MH - relaxed & all that - except when we're late for the boat which does happen quite often! Have been known to miss the ferry …………..

Dot

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
An offer made correctly is never really offensive.

I love this motorhome but I've only got X

or better still invoke a higher authority
I would love this but My wife/mum/ will kill me if I go over X

An offer like that will garner sympathy rather than offence and will let you know if the seller is likely to move :thumb:

That sounds like a wise idea - thank you!

Dot

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
He's gonna meet you half way at best I dont see you drivin that home under 37k
I prefer the direct aproach as sympathy in the trade is like a virus, once you have it you cant shake it off and you go broke:RollEyes:
Try 35K or ill rip yer face off:thumb:

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
ps are you after a rear U lounge and dinette?? I have my 2012 Autotrail apache 700 coming up for sale.. (wink) :)

1) Would you really ask for 10% off the new van - if I got it for that I would definitely buy. I've seen that one too - I've probably looked at every website in the UK! I did phone one dealer & it was £46,000 for the 765 & he was adamant that going to the Peterborough Show wouldn't see dealers selling for any less but my heart is set on the 760 now because I like the overhang bed which gives the youngest somewhere to hang out & read books etc.

2) IF the Apache has 6 seat belts? and I don't manage to get a 760 soon then yes I would be interested :Smile:

Dot

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I'd start at £34k and reluctantly go up to £35.5k. If they didn't accept that at the time I'd give them my number and ask them to call me when they are ready to accept my offer.

They'd be plenty of profit it that for them.

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
I'm sure your wife wouldn't go over £34k

But you may stretch to £35 and risk her anger:winky:

Thanks Teddybard - I think I'm a woman:Smile: At least I was last time I checked though one never knows these days :Blush:

Dot

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If the van is exactly what you want would you loose it for 10%?

You might not find another - especially if you want it now

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Be careful with the old “Lets split the difference” "meet you half way" chesnut, (unless you are offering it) because this always comes after some negotiation. Say a van is for sale at 100k and you offer 90k, he will not split the difference there and sell for 95k there will be another counter offer first, then will come the split.

See how it works Let’s assume you make a bid for the motorhome £90,000 and the dealer is asking for £100,000 The dealer comes back with a counter offer of 98,000 and you make a second bid for 95,000 Here is where the dealer will say “Lets split the difference” – final offer £96,500 The dealer convinces you that you have a good fair middling deal but you’ve raised your offer by 6.5k he’s only dropped his price by 3.5k That's not halfway. :Smile:

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
If the van is exactly what you want would you loose it for 10%?

You might not find another - especially if you want it now

I've been looking for so long but have only recently acquired the funds so although I want it now, we can afford to wait - it would annoy me more to be ripped off.

Last time we bought a 2nd hand, 1 year old Hymer with 300 miles at around £35,000. Had it 2 years & still lost £7,000 when we sold it. They were around £42,000 new. That van had effectively lost £14,000 in 3 years. Although this time we'll no doubt hold on to it for much longer as it is a similar layout but with loads more space & comfort.

Dot

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back