Caravan Club Warden (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just got back after a long weekend at a CC site. We were on a hard standing, approached over about forty feet of grass. It rained, a lot. The van next to us got bogged down trying to leave his pitch, the wardens helped him out with mats and a really good push. The next two vans were much closer to the road and managed, with a lot of wheelspin, to get away. This morning was our turn. One of the wardens spoke to my wife when she was walking the dog and said when we were ready just to give them a shout.

The warden turned up with a few mats and worked as banksman while I reversed off, go for it he said and it worked. Left a couple of good grooves in the grass but he said not to worry, we were out. Cold not have been more helpful.

Thought I'd mention how helpful the wardens can be.

Rgds
Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
seeing your location was it a Scottish CC site?

We have found that north of the border they seem to be totally different, I think a few of them are private sites affiliated to the CC

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It was in Scotland but a proper club site nonetheless.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
seeing your location was it a Scottish CC site?

We have found that north of the border they seem to be totally different, I think a few of them are private sites affiliated to the CC
we had an opposite experience when on a club site in Scotland a few years ago. With hindsight I can laugh at it now and my wife sometimes reminds me of it. Generalisations can be misleading.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
They are very helpful at Baltic Wharf in Bristol too:Cool:

Came and made a friend of mine move 150mm as he wasn't exactly on the marker post:Doh:

And yes!:thumb: Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit:Blush:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I can easily understand that SOME wardens dont portray a good image of the the caravan club. however they are all only human and other than the odd couple of them we have met, all the rest have been great. in newport south wales, a warden even trimmed a tree branch so we could get a satellite signal without having to mess about. on other occasions we have had them deliver parcels to us when delivered to them at the office by couriers. they really have gone above and beyond to help

so not all cc wardens are like concentration camp guards

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
I can easily understand that SOME wardens dont portray a good image of the the caravan club. however they are all only human and other than the odd couple of them we have met, all the rest have been great. in newport south wales, a warden even trimmed a tree branch so we could get a satellite signal without having to mess about. on other occasions we have had them deliver parcels to us when delivered to them at the office by couriers. they really have gone above and beyond to help

In fact BIG1 I'd say that the majority of CC wardens are NOT like concentration camp guards.......they just ensure that CC rules and policies are abided by - just like the majority of funsters stick by the rules wherever they may stop over and don't try to get one over on whoever is in a position of authority.....easy to spot them from the comments posted by them on the threads on FUN.

Of course there are exceptions on both sides who step over the line.....and that's when conflict arises.:restmycase:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
My recent stay at the CC Wirral County Park site was enhanced by the lovely nature of the wardens. Just ordinary folk making people welcome. :thumb:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
They are very helpful at Baltic Wharf in Bristol too:Cool:

Came and made a friend of mine move 150mm as he wasn't exactly on the marker post:Doh:

And yes!:thumb: Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit:Blush:

Maybe he should have parked as directed in the first instance - the spacings between units are there for a reason! Allow one person 150mm and someone else will take a metre and if something goes wrong the wardens and the CC are responsible for not adhering to the instructions issued by Natural England.:thumbdown:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We were on a hard standing, approached over about forty feet of grass.

crikey thats long grass, didnt think there were any jungles in scotland - could you see out the van::bigsmile:

Sounds like its a case for Soozy's scissors.......a bit like your avatar hairstyle:ROFLMAO:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I would like to single out for praise the CC winter wardens Roger & Kay Ellaway (this winter at Chirk, previous winter at Ferry Meadows). As a fulltimer who overwinters mainly on CC sites, they are the loveliest wardens you could ever hope for. Always good-humoured and cheerful, very helpful and happy to take in deliveries. When I was very ill before Christmas with glandular fever, they drove me to the doctors and the hospital, and even walked my dog for me. :thumb:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We were at a cc site last week and told they prefer you to back in which we did but did notice one caravanner hadn't to take advantage of view. I do get annoyed with people who flout the rules and don't understand why the wardens didn't move them especially as caravan next door didn't have a back window but stuck to the rules :Sad:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Maybe he should have parked as directed in the first instance - the spacings between units are there for a reason! Allow one person [HI]150mm[/HI] and someone else will take a metre and if something goes wrong the wardens and the CC are responsible for not adhering to the instructions issued by Natural England.:thumbdown:

It wasn't a metre, that I could understand, it was 150mm (6inches)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
In fact BIG1 I'd say that the majority of CC wardens are NOT like concentration camp guards.......they just ensure that CC rules and policies are abided by - just like the majority of funsters stick by the rules wherever they may stop over and don't try to get one over on whoever is in a position of authority[HI].....easy to spot them from the comments posted by them on the threads on FUN.

[/HI]Of course there are exceptions on both sides who step over the line.....and that's when conflict arises.:restmycase:

Oh dear That's me told off then:RollEyes:

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No

Sadly, the only experience I have had after joining the CC last year was of the concentration camp guard variety :Sad:

It coloured my whole view of the CC and two other couples that I spoke to on the site said it was typical of their experiences too.

We rolled up at 12:50 and the warden's wife was on reception. She huffed and puffed and said that we were lucky yo be allowed in as she and her husband were on lunch from 1:00 - 3:00 and no one is allowed in during those times. She then proceeded to give us precise and exact instructions which way to park my van, then she looked out the window, put her hands on her hips, sighed and said "Oh you've got a Hymer!"

I asked what difference that made and she said "Well it's a Continental van". Now I'm not daft, I kind of knew it was of German extraction and I'd never had any issues in any CL sites or European sites so I asked her what was the problem. She said "The door is on the wrong side!". It finally boiled down to the fact that I now had to drive into the designated slot instead of reversing in.

I said "Don't worry, that's not a problem". She said "We'll is it for us, your van will be parked the wrong way around!".

Then she told us it was 1:00 o'clock and it was her lunch time so we would have to call back to reception after 3:30 to collect the information about the site, (including the door codes for the toilets and shower block!), as she didn't have time.

We spend one night at the beautifully manicured site which included witnessing Mr. Warden inspecting the site including standing and staring at our van with his hands behind his back shaking his head while we were on our way back from a nice walk in the countryside and a cool drink at the lovely local pub.

I have just had my CC renewal for this year, we haven't bothered.

Suffice to say after spending 4 days at the Camping & Caravan Club site in Balls Park, Hertford, we can see why this is called the Friendly Club and we've joined.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We went to holmfirth a couple of weeks ago and on the way back decided to call at the ccc bakewell site (youlgreave) as we stayed there a couple of years ago in our old van. Anyway , we drew up warden comes out says we aren't open yet, so I says surely you can find us a place for one night, he says I can do better than that , you can stop for free ,hookup included:thumb: but we shall want you to help us clean the site ready for opening at Easter ,tomorrow anyway we did and helped out the next day, tea and hotdogs supplied free, and came home in the afternoon . Don't really do ccc sites just the cls but was well impressed with our stay there::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Some people,give them an inch and they'll take 2.54cm!

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We use CC sites quite a bit. Always seem to be a high standard. You know what you are getting , usually. Find most of the wardens to be really helpful. Only came across two that were less than helpful. One was a temporary warden. Both times we just stayed the one night then moved on. Part of the beauty of motor homing . Easier to move on. I have to say we have also driven on to a couple of privately run sites and driven off again as they were not the best. At least with CC sites the facilities are usually good. You can get good or bad wardens anywhere but at least if the facilities are ok you can stay the night and move on the following day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back