Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
The time is drawing near for our 6 week trip to the continent; as we have downsized I no longer have room for my books so I am having to load up my Kindle but I could do with a greater range of authors to chose from. I don't want to load my Kindle with rubbish so I wondered if some of my friends on Funsters might let me know what books they have read and enjoyed on their Kindles.

Many thanks

Norman

I have completed the series of the following; Dan Brown, Wilbur Smith and Jeffrey Archer

Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
I love Ian Rankin's DI Rebus crime novels set in Edinburgh - and that's not just because I'm Scottish too!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I also have read most of Ian Rankins books and enjoyed them.

Other authors i enjoy are Stephen Leather, James Patterson, Harlan Coben, Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell and Lee Child who does the Jack Reacher novels and having read them I decided not to watch the film as the books decription of Jack Reacher is of a really big guy, star of the film Tom Cruise is a little wimp in comparison.

I came across some books by Janet Evanovich, entitled :-
One for the money.
Two for the dough.
Three to get deadly and
Four to score.

Never laughed so much when reading them, so if you like something a bit light hearted now and again they are worth trying.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi,

Jo Nesbo writes some great crime thrillers and if you haven't read The girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy they are worth a try by Stieg Larsson (apologies if I'm duplicating.

For something a bit different Neil Gaiman writes some weird and wonderful books - Dave and I both enjoyed The Ocean at the end of the Lane by him. It's decidedly peculiar but very intriguing.

Also we both read The Circle by David Eggars which in this Internet age is frighteningly close to home!

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
The time is drawing near for our 6 week trip to the continent; as we have downsized I no longer have room for my books so I am having to load up my Kindle but I could do with a greater range of authors to chose from. I don't want to load my Kindle with rubbish so I wondered if some of my friends on Funsters might let me know what books they have read and enjoyed on their Kindles.

Many thanks

Norman

I have completed the series of the following; Dan Brown, Wilbur Smith and Jeffrey Archer
I like Alexander McCall Smith...his 'Trains and Lovers' at £2-99 on kindle is a good introduction to his gentle style.
If you want something meatier, 'The Glass Room' by Simon Mawer is a very powerful and moving book.
Guide books...It has to be 'Motorhome and Caravan Guide to Aquitaine' by Peter Jennings, (preferably for a reader with a colour screen).

M

Madwife

Deleted User
If you are into fantasy science fiction try the Morgan Rice series - just finished book 12 - book one is free on Amazon so you can try it and if you like it then get the series - I was hooked from the start and read the final four books in two days!

The other series that I have bought and read recently are by Brendan O'Carroll (of Mrs Brown fame). They are just hilarious although that may be because I can identify all the characters and places in Dublin of my youth!

I have gone through Amazons free list and downloaded lots from there and most have been good reads and if the book is rubbish you can delete and move on as it's not cost anything. Many authors seem to put the first of a series on there for free and if you like the style of the book then of course you can get the rest.

Happy reading

Kath

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I tend to go for any box sets that are on offer - just to try anything new.
Latest was by Duncan Lyndsey - the barbershop seven - absolutely hilarious story about a serial killer suspect who is a Glasgow barber ! Bit random but a fab read and made me lol on the train every day!:thumb:

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Lee Child is a must!
Christopher Brookmyre, Scottish bloke, has to be good ::bigsmile:
James Paterson, he wrote 'along came a spider' good series
Ben Elton is also a fantastic writer
Jeffrey Deaver, I love the Lincoln Rhyme series (the Bone Collector)

Have a look on ebay, for something like this Broken Link Removed You can covert different formats with calibre (sorry if you knew that already)
enjoy :thumb:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Lee Child is a must!
Christopher Brookmyre, Scottish bloke, has to be good ::bigsmile:
James Paterson, he wrote 'along came a spider' good series
Ben Elton is also a fantastic writer
Jeffrey Deaver, I love the Lincoln Rhyme series (the Bone Collector)

Have a look on ebay, for something like this Broken Link Removed [HI]You can covert different formats with calibre [/HI](sorry if you knew that already)
enjoy :thumb:

Sorry I don't understand this! I have looked at the link and you get 2500 books but how do you put them onto Kindle?

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
you load the disc on to your pc then using calibre e book management , transfer what you want to your e reader via usb. It's easy :thumb:

http://calibre-ebook.com/download

(if the disc has the book you want in kindle format but you want it for ipad for example, calibre will change the format )

Last edited:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
For any kindle user I would recommend

http://uk.ereaderiq.com/

Its a web based service with many features including all the free and 99p books updated daily.
However the feature I find useful is the price tracking service which notifies you when the book in your wish list/tracker list to drops to a certain price (you decide your price point).
Last week, for one day only michael connolly last coyote dropped to £1.49, now back to 4.99
it also shows
- price history, again you will be surpirsed how much kindle boos go up and down. If a book hasnt changed for about 6 months its unlikely to.
- all the most watched books so again you get a good idea of whats out there and interesting.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I use this site regularly for free books :Smile: http://uk.freereadfeed.com/?good=list#t
Select Pick from a list under genres Tab
Click on the genres you are interested in then click on apply selected genres
:Smile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
David Baldacci for lightweight US based thrillers. Secret agents, crooked presidents that sort of thing. He has written many books and apparently sold over 100 million copies of them.

For something different try Colin Cotterill, his Dr Siri series, set in Laos about the one and only coroner in the country are funny and take you to a part of the world far away from our hum-drum shores. Murders and noodles sums them up.

For mind-boggling Sci-Fi Iain M Banks is unbeatable, the man's imagination was extraordinary plus a very good story teller. He will be missed.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You can covert different formats with calibre (sorry if you knew that already)

I have a kobo which uses epub as its format. I also use Calibre which stores books in epub format, I assumed that this is because I have told calibre that I use a kobo.

If I connect a Kindle to my laptop will calibre transfer books to it in the correct format? Do I have to change the settings in Calibre if so which?

Lunarman

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
I have a kobo which uses epub as its format. I also use Calibre which stores books in epub format, I assumed that this is because I have told calibre that I use a kobo.

If I connect a Kindle to my laptop will calibre transfer books to it in the correct format? Do I have to change the settings in Calibre if so which?

Lunarman

Calibre recognises your reader and before transferring a book it will ask if you want to format to suit your device. I'm not sure it will work if the book is DRM protected.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Norman,

As Jazzbow has confirmed its possible, if you are not sorted by Peterborough you can have some of the 1700 books on my laptop. I'm sure you will find something you like.

Lunarman

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Books I loved, mostly action / future / what-ifs

Armageddons song Andy Farman

The Westerning Awakening Thomas Gibbon

SAS black OPs PM Crowley

Sword of Shive Jeff Edwards

Last Light Alex Scarrow.

Calibre is a great program !! It even ignores the locking on Kindle books, which means, theoretically, I (or you) could email a Kindle or other format book to your friends and Calibre would then load it onto your Kindle.
Tho I'd advise running it thro a virus checker first !!! And be aware that Amazon would call you nasty things for doing so.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I like Bernard Cornwall for historical novels. Dennis Wheatly for witchcraft thrillers, and Neville Shute for an interesting read. You can also try Frederick Marryat for some excellent historical and adventure novels. Readily available as free books as copy write has expired.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Having to wait in hospital waiting rooms on a daily basis so making up for a misspent youth by reading Charles Dickens (Complete works illustrated - Free). Surprised how entertaining he can be.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
The post card killers, James Patterson.

Dead Scared S.J. Bolton.

Bring up the bodies, Hilary Mantel.

Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I googled if you like Lee Child (because I had run out) and found Robert Crais, I am working my way through his Elvis Cole series right now and thoroughly enjoying them. Daniel Silva and Tess Gerritsen are also recent discoveries for me. Jane :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back