LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We left early doors in the van yesterday for Pembrokeshire, it's only an hour or so from us. Before we saw the light and the way we used to have a static van at Newgale (forgive us oh mobile friends).

So we were looking forward to revisiting some favourite spots and exploring a few new beaches. If any of you haven't yet been, I'd recommend it, it's a lovely county similar to Cornwall in geography but with less tourists.

We went to Manorbier beach, it was tipping down with rain aided by a brisk wind, we couldn't see much for the sea mist/fog either. Not ideal conditions but we got togged up and took Ruby for a walk on the beach, above the beach past the castle we saw 5/6 vans parked up, they had obviously been there overnight.
When we drove past we saw a mix of surfer vans, fishermen and a couple of MoHOs still wrapped up tight with silver screens on.

We were hoping the rain would ease off but no such luck so we went into Pembroke for lunch. It's been a while since we were there, the high st now looks very tired with shops closed down and boarded up. Unpainted shop fronts and an odd mix of shops. Not how we remembered this pretty Georgian town with its castle and river. With the news that the Murco refinery sale has fallen through and the possibility of major jobs losses to the area we fear for the locals.

We had booked into a camp site nr Bosherston, although it was too early to park up we thought we'd have another walk on the beach there. The one mile long single tract road with minimum passing places was interesting. We saw a marvellous display of reversing by a local and we were lucky to get an interesting variation on a wave from another. We made it to South Broadhaven beach unscathed, all the excitement had worn me out and the sea mist and rain was less than inviting so I got my head down for a nap whilst Martin got engrossed in the latest Which report. Never a dull moment with us, we do fun with a capital F.

Martins laugh woke me up, my first thought was what could possible be making him laugh in the Which report? Or had I been talking in my sleep again?

No, it was the arrival of a bunch of New Age travellers. This was a rag tag collection of old buses, caravans and coaches all brightly painted and looking the worse for ware. We watched mouths a gape as they parked up and bounced out of their vehicles. A quirky selection of dogs, babies, kids and dreadlocks. They were obviously very happy to be there or possibly to have arrived at all, given the state of their vehicles. Quickly chairs were put out and a camp of sorts was set up. It made us laugh and we realised how anal we were, no sign of leveling blocks, steadies down, gas on, fridge switch over etc, we didn't think they would be interested in non slip matting from poundland either! The rain didn't seem to be dampin their mood, but it was ours, my belief that it would "burn off" and reveal lovely sunshine was seriously misplaced. We decided to call it a day and head home. On the way back we rang the campsite to cancel our booking. The owner was greatful that we had rung, she had just rung the police as her camping field was up against the car park and she was aware of the new visitors. The police weren't interested she said as no laws had yet been broken and the national trust (whose carapark it is) didn't have anyone on duty. We mentioned that as they were opening bottles of fizz as we left, we didn't think they were just there to walk the dogs! No doubt they were planning on making that car park their home for a while.

It gave us food for thought as we drove home, how different we are, the assumptions we make and how we choose to live.

We hope that when we return to that car park there won't be new height barriers and that we don't meet them on the single tract lane!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We were hoping the rain would ease off but no such luck so we went into Pembroke for lunch. It's been a while since we were there, the high st now looks very tired with shops closed down and boarded up. Unpainted shop fronts and an odd mix of shops. Not how we remembered this pretty Georgian town with its castle and river. With the news that the Murco refinery sale has fallen through and the possibility of major jobs losses to the area we fear for the locals.

Bad as it is , is there any small towns not like that anymore, boarded up, charity shops , pawnbrokers, and takeaways, can't see it getting any better either, downward spiral I'm afraid:Sad:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Mousy-love your discriptive accounts of your travels keep them coming. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I know, wimps are us. Actually it was the fog, not being able to see where your going on a cliff top walk is not much fun. But we will go back. :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you think Pembroke is looking tired then Pembroke Dock ( my home town) is positively sleeping :Sad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
By the way I am in Plymouth sitting on the ferry and the weather here is grim too.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
If you think Pembroke is looking tired then Pembroke Dock ( my home town) is positively sleeping :Sad:

I know Chris it's a shame and the Murco situation will have a big effect. :Sad:

We live near Llanelli, 11 years ago when we moved here it had a nice thriving high st with a street market and an indoor market. Troste the retail park built on Llanelli outskirts put paid to that. The high st is now mainly charity shops and cash converters.

Carmarthen seems to have escaped this national decline, it has a good range of independent shops, unlike swansea which is awful, difficult to park, pavements cracked and dirty. Rubbish shops.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I know Chris it's a shame and the Murco situation will have a big effect. :Sad:

We live near Llanelli, 11 years ago when we moved here it had a nice thriving high st with a street market and an indoor market. Troste the retail park built on Llanelli outskirts put paid to that. The high st is now mainly charity shops and cash converters.

Carmarthen seems to have escaped this national decline, it has a good range of independent shops, unlike swansea which is awful, difficult to park, pavements cracked and dirty. Rubbish shops.

The oil industry is a huge employer in Pembrokeshire, not just for oil workers but for construction industry. Its made a few people very rich.

Luckily my family are either retired or work in other industries.

Still planning to move back some time in the not too distant future:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back