Vatican city (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hello guys, I'm holly it's flyingscotsman2s daughter :Smile:

I want to go to the Vatican City, is there any nice campsites near by? ::bigsmile:

Thanks from holly dolly x :thanks2:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I wanted to be a pope when I was a kid.

But pay was a bit crap, so chose astronaut instead :Smile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
When we visited Rome we stopped at Camping Tiber, an ACSI site I believe. The campsite runs a shuttle bus to the local railway station where you can catch a train into the city. You can then use the Metro to get to the Vatican City. A word of warning, pickpocketing is rife in Rome both on the streets and the Metro, take the necessary precautions.

Brisey.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We found the best option was Flaminia Village, a good camp site a short train ride to the centre of Rome, the train station is just across the road from the camp site that when we were there was both Camping Cheque and ACSI.

We could not find one any nearer, though no doubt there are, there is also a cycle track from close to the site and you could cycle into Rome from it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We found the best option was Flaminia Village, a good camp site a short train ride to the centre of Rome, the train station is just across the road from the camp site that when we were there was both Camping Cheque and ACSI.

We could not find one any nearer, though no doubt there are, there is also a cycle track from close to the site and you could cycle into Rome from it.

I too would recommended this site, the bus service is excellent in Rome as well. It depends when you intend to visit but the Pope does open air audiences in St Peter's Square if the weather is fine, you can get tickets in advance which we did but no one checked them so get there early and you might be able to slip in. I think it's worth it if only for the historical value. Another recommendation is to go to the top of St Peter's basilica, which, again you need to get there early for to beat the queues but well worth it for the magnificent views.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Years ago I wildcamped on outskirts of Rome then drove in VERY early in the morning. Camping and bussing in is by far your best bet. Traffic in Rome is manic.

Do be very careful of your bag, money, passport, camera, phone etc.... As has been said, pick pocketing is rife and I met a few people who'd been robbed. Be careful if you have powder or liquid spilt on you--- someone comes to your "assistance" while he is in fact distracting you during pick pocketing.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I am going to try out CS Tiber in a couple of weeks as I'm picking my mate up from Rome airport for a cultural week :)drink:). I will put a review on the post once I'm there if that helps.

If you don't mind using public transport to travel a bit further there are four ACSI sites around a large lake to the north-west of Rome. I stayed at one last year (Parco del Lago) and it was very relaxing and picturesque. I haven't tried the other three yet but by tomorrow that will have changed as I'm heading for CS Roma Flash followed by CS Porticciolo and CS Lago di Bracciano. If you want I can also put a short review of these on this post if you are considering them, ACSI reviews can be found on this site:

http://beta.eurocampings.co.uk/

This was Parco Del Lago last year:

Attachments

• campo de lago (12).jpg
    campo de lago (12).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 17

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
ps for those funsters that have been to CS Flaminio, which looks quite good as well, any idea how much it was? It doesn't seem to have discounted ACSI prices on the website :Sad:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
At CS Roma Flash, very quiet so managed to get a pitch on the lake. Weather good, beautiful. You can get the bus from here to the nearby train station, then into Rome. Time for a glass of wine...

Attachments

• cs roma flash~02.jpg
    cs roma flash~02.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 17

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
At CS Porticcioli, no pitches on the lake for larger vans, 13.50 euros per night and they do pizzas until 9pm. Similar public transport to Rome. Bracciano is walking distance, even for a fat lad, so will be trying the local fare this evening ::bigsmile:

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Went to Vatican city some years ago not camping,but,try to visit about 7 in evening on Fri,no crowds and choir practice is magical.:Smile:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
At Intenazionale Lago Di Bracciano or summat like that, 12 euros on ACSI card and a bit of a squeeze to get onto the CS but very nice little site, free wifi etc and good facilities. Got a lakeside pitch as it has just opened for the season and I appear to be the only one here! Lots of sun today, now for a glass of wine ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• 20140411_192829.jpg
    20140411_192829.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 8

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
CS Tiber was okay for traveling to Rome but expensive for what it is. No marked pitches, free for all! Bar and supermarket are quite good. Now back at Lake Bracciano.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back