Another Motorhome Gas Attack? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My article on Broken Link Removed, has thrown up another incident in a comment made on the 3rd. I've emailed them for further information I'll let you know if I get any. Broken Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The police confirmed that the gas had been injected through the sink
The only way "into" the sink in our van - and, I suspect, most others - is through the plug hole, which leads via the drainage system into the grey waste tank.

So, if I have it correct. The thieves would have to open the grey waste outlet (not knowing how much the tank contained) and wait for it to drain down. They would then inject the gas through the outlet pipe where it would initially disperse into the tank and then, once that was filled, start to flow into the sink &c.

They must be pretty patient thieves ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just put a comment on it ... it just does NOT seem logical that the 'gassing' could possibly have been done in the way the poster has been told.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've just put a comment on it ... it just does NOT seem logical that the 'gassing' could possibly have been done in the way the poster has been told.

There was a sleeper train gassing story was doing the rounds years ago, never really got substantiated though. Robbing someone on a moving noisy train would be esay, once they are asleep through the noise, they will not easily wake. The next day looking for a reason, gas may well be offered up as a possible solution, but .... I've known whole corridors of rooms in hotels to be robbed while the occupant slept, its amazing what people will sleep through.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have added a paragraph also. it does not ring true that suuficient gas can be carried to fill 2 whole rail carraiges and be effective. ( a small tanker would be needed , surely )

no doubt an incident took place and it was frightening.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
What I want to know is why are the alleged gasses never succumbing to the gas? Obviously wearing gas masks which are totally inconspicuous, I don't think so. Hog wash

crapboxemptier

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
lincs
Funster No
MH
concorde charisma
Exp
pissed and gassed

There was a sleeper train gassing story was doing the rounds years ago, never really got substantiated though. Robbing someone on a moving noisy train would be esay, once they are asleep through the noise, they will not easily wake. The next day looking for a reason, gas may well be offered up as a possible solution, but .... I've known whole corridors of rooms in hotels to be robbed while the occupant slept, its amazing what people will sleep through.
you would need a tanker full of gas to fill a motorhome and make it air tight gas is heavy so it would need to get as high as the bed,also there are u bends to stop the smell from the waste tank i have never heard of such rubbish,more like they got pissed and could not wake up,so it must be gas ,or a good insurance claim:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
[HI]The only way "into" the sink in our van -[/HI] and, I suspect, most others - is through the plug hole, which leads via the drainage system into the grey waste tank.

So, if I have it correct. The thieves would have to open the grey waste outlet (not knowing how much the tank contained) and wait for it to drain down. They would then inject the gas through the outlet pipe where it would initially disperse into the tank and then, once that was filled, start to flow into the sink &c.

certainly is Graham........except.......

I suspect the 'sink' in question are the ventilation and gas drop vents.

Immaterial anyway.......GASSING DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Alcohol and excessive tiredness are the likely culprits.

Ply me with alcohol and deprive me of sleep, then when i do sleep i could sleep stood up.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've always assumed (maybe incorrectly) that most anaesthetic gases are inflammable? If they are the motorhome would be a noticeably different shape come daylight.

My wife & I slept through a visit to a campsite from a Police helicopter complete with searchlight & ground support. It was there for 20 minutes or so hunting for some miscreant(s) who had chosen to hide under a caravan. This occurred during the early hours & the whole site was buzzing with excitement in the morning. Everyone had been woken up and had been watching.

Except us: stone cold sober & fast asleep.:Smile:

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
I've always assumed (maybe incorrectly) that most anaesthetic gases are inflammable? If they are the motorhome would be a noticeably different shape come daylight.

My wife & I slept through a visit to a campsite from a Police helicopter complete with searchlight & ground support. It was there for 20 minutes or so hunting for some miscreant(s) who had chosen to hide under a caravan. This occurred during the early hours & the whole site was buzzing with excitement in the morning. Everyone had been woken up and had been watching.

perhaps he gas you both before the cops arrived!!!!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
My father in law drove a lorry and drag he parked up near Glasgow in a lorry park the local police station told him about. Next morning he goes off after spending the night in the truck, gets to his first drop, opens the trailer doors to find all the goods either missing or opened (catalogue company mostly), and a very big hole in the floor, the police said was probably cut with some kind of power saw the same thing in the back of the box lorry !
He was asleep all night in the cab and heard nothing!
He had not had any drink !
People can and do sleep through robberies

Last edited:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
sleep

I served in the Royal Artillery and after a few days exercise & firing our guns I could sleep through all six firing together.:Eeek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Ply me with alcohol and deprive me of sleep, then when i do sleep i could sleep stood up.
Ooooooo .... can we give that a try at Peterborough show ... should be fun!!! :ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Chester a couple of years ago. Most of the Fun ralliers were talking on Sunday morning about the visit of the aliens during the night (Network Rail fixing the viaduct and using bright lights). Jill (stone cold sober) had slept through the lot :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
gassing stories are just wishful thinking by people desperate not to believe they slept through a robbery. especially those cases where doors weren't locked or where fitted alarms not set

if a magistrate heard a case in court where gassing was proven, they would pass the case to a higher court to be tried for assault with a deadly weapon (narcotic gas). wouldn't happen though, as there is no gas available to such criminals that would safely incapacitate the occupants of a motorhome without killing some. Russian special forces used narcotic gas in a theatre siege a couple of years ago. dozens of civilians died due to the gas. yes there are military grade poison gasses, thats a fact but so is the fact they are deadly without protective suits and masks

would it be worthwhile to a gang of thieves to potentially murder a family in a van for a few euros and some electrical goods? also would the cost of the gas be worth the potential profits?

on the whole, i consider all gassing stories to be a vivid creation of the minds of upset people. propagating them is just alarmist and does nobody any good really

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
So far not one of the motorhome gas attack victims I have ever read about have mentioned that their alarm was going off or had gone off during the attack. Is it just coincidence that the attackers know the alarm is not set or did they carry on attacking during the alarm noise??
Now if someone said, 'a policeman woke us in our bed to tell us we have been robbed and our alarm alerted them', I might actually sit up and listen!

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Why do people buy expensive gas dector alarms in an attempt to protect them from "gassing"? :RollEyes:

If no-one knows what type of gas is supposed to be being used, how do they know that the alarm will detect the "gas"? :Eeek:

Beats me! :Doh:

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
I got gassed once, fell asleep and when I woke up two of my teeth were missing. :shout:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I got gassed once, fell asleep and when I woke up two of my teeth were missing. :shout:

It must have been the Tooth Fairy ...... how old were you at the time Rob?
images

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Well if there was such a thing as a gas attack I would not survive it as I have defective lungs.

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think it's an urban myth

I have to say, as a newcomer to motorhoming, I have taken stories of gas robberies with a pinch of salt.

An anesthesiologist has to ensure the correct amount of gas is administered to each patient according to their body mass. If they get it wrong or fail to maintain adequate oxygen supply the patient either dies or fails to be knocked out. I'm 6 feet (well 5'11") tall and weigh 13 stone my wife is nearer to five feet and weighs about 9 stone (well she admits to that). What would send me to sleep, would possibly kill her and what would make her sleep, wouldn't keep me under.

If you recall the Russian authorities ending a siege, in a Moscow theatre, they filled it with anesthetic gas and there were numerous deaths for this reason.

So either there is a conspiracy by the college of consultant anesthesiologists who carefully monitor the occupants while they rob them or we would have heard of deaths from an attack like this.

I agree with previous posters: a combination of fatigue and alcohol is far more likely. And as Jim points out; there are numerous reports of hotels rooms being robbed while people sleep. This happened to my sister and her husband while on holiday in Turkey a few years ago.

I'm happy to be convinced otherwise, but until the evidence is more than speculation by victims of robbery I'll remain highly skeptical. :Cool:

ps I just re-read my post and it sounds very pompous....sorry about that. (-:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
How many folk have parked up in a service area for the night and had a freezer lorry pull up beside them ?
Ok, I personally do not really hear it after 10 minutes but those who are not used to noise can suffer..
The DRIVER of the unit is tucked up and sleeps all night just a couple of feet from the freezer motor..
It is amazing what folk can and do sleep through.

Having read the reports, I have come to the conclusion they are a load of tosh.. Most especially the one from Haynes

As far as I can see he is the unluckiest man in the world and has a real bee in his bonnet about gypsy people. Yes, there are a LOT of scalywags on the road calling them selves gypsys, but the community as a whole are no different to any other.. There are good and bad same as in all walks of life ( though the % of bad might be somewhat higher perhaps :winky: )

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I was chatting to a guy in Spain this February who mentioned he'd been a victim of gassing but had woken up when he started to feel ill. It's just him and his little Jack Russell in the van and he sleeps in the overcab. Apparently, he was able to wake up, feeling ill, get down the ladder, hear a hissing sound, pull back the cab curtains and see someone with the cab door partly open spraying a can of "quick start" into the motorhome.

This is the first person I'd met who'd been "gassed" themselves (it's normally a friend of a friend that they'd read about on the internet). This guy was convinced he'd been gassed and was lucky to have woken up despite my gentle rebuke (well, I'd only just met him and he seemed a nice chap) that he might have had too much to drink (he was teatotal). Apparently, he said, it's the ether in the can of starter which does the trick. Even after discussing how his dog survived (but a big groggy), turning the lights on didn't ignite the gas or how one can of Easy Start managed to fill the whole van enough to reach him in the overcab - he was still convinced he'd been "done" and it's because he forgot to set the alarm that night.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

:Eeek:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
The only way "into" the sink in our van - and, I suspect, most others - is through the plug hole, which leads via the drainage system into the grey waste tank.

plus the gas would have to get past the water trap/U-bend ::Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And further.. as the attacker would have to have some knowledge ( supposedly ) of how mh systems work, why not just poke a pip up in one of the gas drop holes !!

Absolute ballony of the first order

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Let me get this right
Are we saying it dont happen then:Eeek:

Looky Here

During sleep, we usually pass through five phases of sleep: stages 1, 2, 3, 4, and REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. These stages progress in a cycle from stage 1 to REM sleep, then the cycle starts over again with stage 1 (see figure 1 ). We spend almost 50 percent of our total sleep time in stage 2 sleep, about 20 percent in REM sleep, and the remaining 30 percent in the other stages. Infants, by contrast, spend about half of their sleep time in REM sleep.

During stage 1, which is light sleep, we drift in and out of sleep and can be awakened easily. Our eyes move very slowly and muscle activity slows. People awakened from stage 1 sleep often remember fragmented visual images. Many also experience sudden muscle contractions called hypnic myoclonia, often preceded by a sensation of starting to fall. These sudden movements are similar to the "jump" we make when startled. When we enter stage 2 sleep, our eye movements stop and our brain waves (fluctuations of electrical activity that can be measured by electrodes) become slower, with occasional bursts of rapid waves called sleep spindles. In stage 3, extremely slow brain waves called delta waves begin to appear, interspersed with smaller, faster waves. By stage 4, the brain produces delta waves almost exclusively. It is very difficult to wake someone during stages 3 and 4, which together are called deep sleep. There is no eye movement or muscle activity. People awakened during deep sleep do not adjust immediately and often feel groggy and disoriented for several minutes after they wake up. Some children experience bedwetting, night terrors, or sleepwalking during deep sleep.

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you need to be rich to get the gas in the first place.a doctor on a tv program said they would need a small tanker to fill up a motorhome.so if you see one pull up next to you.open your windows.:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back