Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
Does anyone know a site near Newcastle with public transport easily available to the centre ? We want to go to the Maker Faire, and it's at the Science Centre right in the middle, not the best place to take a MH. OR ... perhaps a park and ride that takes Motorhomes ?

Any advice gratefully received :)
anna

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
Unfortunately Newcastle has no Park & Ride but it does have a very good Metro train system
You could consider staying at Old Hartley Caravan Club site with fantastic views of St Marys lighthouse
It's a short taxi ride to Whitley Bay Metro station were you can catch a train into Newcastle Central Station around the corner from the Life Centre :Smile:

http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro

PM me if you need any more information...Gary :thumb:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
You give few details of when you want to go and how long you may be staying over. But, you could check out this Caravan Park Broken Link Removed

It's right on the seafront at South Shields and from the park it's only a short (10 min) stroll to the Metro which will drop you at Central Station right next to Centre for Life.

Also, this is the website for South Tyneside Council which gives details of events on and facilities around the area. http://www.southtyneside.info/

And if you like curries, about 20 Indian restaurants within 5 min walk !!

If it was just a day visit with no stayover there are several park and ride schemes in the North of Newcastle, but don't know any that let you stayover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
If you arrive after 6 30 pm at Blandford Square outside the Discovery museum you can stay over till 8 00 the following morning, then just get a ticket to park for the day or move onto the museum car park it is still a pay and display i think.
Its been a few years since i have been there i had no problems overnighting there There is no charges after 6 30 pm untill 8 00am the following morning unless things have changed.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If you arrive after 6 30 pm at Blandford Square outside the Discovery museum you can stay over till 8 00 the following morning, then just get a ticket to park for the day or move onto the museum car park it is still a pay and display i think.
Its been a few years since i have been there i had no problems overnighting there There is no charges after 6 30 pm untill 8 00am the following morning unless things have changed.

This area is not the best part of the city, I would not leave my car there overnight never mind the MH.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Plenty of space at the football ground after today's result, should be empty for a while :ROFLMAO:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I can't help with sites as we always stay with friends and family in Ashington, north of the city and we travel in by bus to the Haymarket. There are busses arriving and departing from here all the time in all directions.

Last year from the Haymarket we easily walked to the Science Center, mainly to see "Turbinia" the first steam turbine powered ship, but the rest of the museum is very interesting.

If you are in to Chinese food, or any other for that matter, we can highly reccommend "Lau's 202 Buffet", 92-98 Newgate Street, Eldon Square, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 5RQ. Teriffic value and great food, self service all you can eat for around £7 and they give 10% to pensioners:thumb:.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I can't help with sites as we always stay with friends and family in Ashington, north of the city and we travel in by bus to the Haymarket. There are busses arriving and departing from here all the time in all directions.

Last year from the Haymarket we easily walked to the Science Center, mainly to see "Turbinia" the first steam turbine powered ship, but the rest of the museum is very interesting.

If you are in to Chinese food, or any other for that matter, we can highly reccommend "Lau's 202 Buffet", 92-98 Newgate Street, Eldon Square, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 5RQ. Teriffic value and great food, self service all you can eat for around £7[HI] and they give 10% to pensioners[/HI]:thumb:.

Mean buggers....if I paid £7 I'd want 100%:winky:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
If you like Chinese food, Stowell Street has a few restaurants and a couple of good boozers as well. Its not far from the main bus terminal either..

OP
OP
annadg

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
You give few details of when you want to go and how long you may be staying over. But, you could check out this Caravan Park Broken Link Removed

It's right on the seafront at South Shields and from the park it's only a short (10 min) stroll to the Metro which will drop you at Central Station right next to Centre for Life.

Also, this is the website for South Tyneside Council which gives details of events on and facilities around the area. http://www.southtyneside.info/

And if you like curries, about 20 Indian restaurants within 5 min walk !!

If it was just a day visit with no stayover there are several park and ride schemes in the North of Newcastle, but don't know any that let you stayover.

Thanks so much ... the Faire is a full day so we would stay two nights, and that looks a great way of doing it ... like the sound of the curries as well :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back