Weights and tyre pressures (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We are off top France for three weeks on Monday in our Baily Approach 625. The MoHo is nearly packed so we took it to the local weighbridge and spent a fiver getting the axial weights.

The figures were front 1650kg and the rear was 1610kg. Now I need to add a bit to each of these as the fuel tank is only half full, We'll fillup in Calais not this side of the channel, and there is a fridge full of food and a few last minute cloths and other items to load. Let's say 50kg at the front and 40 at the rear, giving fully loaded figures of 1750 and 1650. We will still be 100kg clear of our 3500kg total limit.

So that looks all fine and dandy to me, except when it comes to the tyre pressures. Bailey specify the pressures should be front 4bar (58psi) and the rear 5.5bar (80psi). So the heaviest loaded axail has the lower tyre pressure and the lightest axial has the far higher pressure. This doesn't make sense to me, would it be alright to reduce the rear pressures to 58psi to same as the front?

We have always found the ride to be very harsh and would like it to be more spongy.

Any thoughts?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they are all different but my last Kontiki (3750kg) ran fine on Swifts recommended 52psi front and 65psi rear.
My 7500kg rv runs 80psi (printed on chassis plate) all round....some at similar weight run over 100psi

Best rule of thumb if you lower the pressure.....if the tyres stay cool then all should be fine.
Increased drag through under-inflation causes heat, heat is a tyres enemy.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We are off top France for three weeks on Monday in our Baily Approach 625. The MoHo is nearly packed so we took it to the local weighbridge and spent a fiver getting the axial weights.

The figures were front 1650kg and the rear was 1610kg. Now I need to add a bit to each of these as the fuel tank is only half full, We'll fillup in Calais not this side of the channel, and there is a fridge full of food and a few last minute cloths and other items to load. Let's say 50kg at the front and 40 at the rear, giving fully loaded figures of 1750 and 1650. We will still be 100kg clear of our 3500kg total limit.

So that looks all fine and dandy to me, except when it comes to the tyre pressures. Bailey specify the pressures should be front 4bar (58psi) and the rear 5.5bar (80psi). So the heaviest loaded axail has the lower tyre pressure and the lightest axial has the far higher pressure. This doesn't make sense to me, would it be alright to reduce the rear pressures to 58psi to same as the front?

We have always found the ride to be very harsh and would like it to be more spongy.

Any thoughts?

have you asked the tyre Manufacturer yet:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
No, not yet.
The tyres are Michelin Agilis Camping 215/70R15CP 109Q their max pressure is 80psi so the rear ones are at max.

Well if its any consultation my rear axle load is nearly 200kg over spec' which means I will have to redistribute the weight from the rear to the front starting by moving the under slung spare wheel to the centre of vehicle plus fitting my Dunlop air spring assistors and changing the tyres to Michelin Agilis Camping 225/15/70R15CP 112...but before I do this I will re- do the vehicle weights again at our local weigh Bridge station:cry:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'm no tyre expert but I run my van at the tyre manufactures recommended pressure which is 60 front and 80 rear.
I must have tough skin on my arse,because I don't think I've experienced a hard ride yet!:winky: But then again it's a motorhome not a sports car.
If your experiencing a hard ride I'd check my suspension before I deflated my tyres :Eeek:

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back