Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Total newbie here so forgive the naivety. We obviously don't want to travel with a tank full of water so what happens when we reach a site? There is obviously a water station but is it equipped with a hose or do we have to bring our own? Does it vary site to site? Is it hozelock? Many thanks. Jerry

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We always take our own hose. We know how clean it is and where it has been, so no nasty germs or surprises :thumb::thumb::thumb:

We also carry a 5 litre of bottled water as an emergency back up too

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We normally travel with some water on board, just in case we want to use it en route.

Fresh water taps on site vary. We carry a hose and a variety of attachment pieces.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Most sites are BYO.
But even if they are not we tend to use our own as someone may have rinsed their toilet with the site one.........ive seen it done!!!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nowt wrong with taking your own water, we always do, not always full but enough so that if we stop somewhere we don't have to start filling up, but, yes you need your own hose or watering can or something to fill with because you are going to have to fill at some point , and has as already been said there are pipes at some sites but you have no idea what they were used for before you got there. Although food quality hoses look dear we have found they are well worth it, the normal garden hose don't last two minutes till they are kinked and twisted apart from them not supposed to be good for you:thumb:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
For filling fresh water we carry;-
Food quality hose (long & short)
Assorted hozelock fittings of every type
2 garden water cans (not used for anything else!)
2 10 litre water containers ( used to use 25 litre but too heavy when full and bulky)

More often than not the water cans are used 'cos it's easier than rolling out hose.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We always travel with full water, I know some cant because they have low payloads :Doh:
Carry a hose and assorted fitments, also something to carry water in just in case you cant get to park nearby the tap. Most carry a watering can or tub/bucket...

As for not carrying water because of the extra weight implications and fuel efficiency let's not start that debate again.. :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Many thanks

What a find this site is! Posted a question at 8am and by half past had had 6 helpful responses. Many thanks everyone. :Smile:

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I carry 2 x 10ltr drums for filling water, helps in keeping fit lol:winky:::bigsmile:. also short (about 2m long) hose pipe for filling when you are able to park right by water tap, also carry 1 x 20m hose for connecting when cannot get near tap, also very important to carry screw fitting for hoselock type that's fits to the tap thread as many times there is no threaded fitting to fit the hoselock, and I advise to carry 3 to 4 different sizes as some taps are 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.1/4" especially when going abroad (don't forget to remove from tap after you have finished filling and when you disconnect thr female hoselock fitting on hose), also the hoselock type that's fits over the tap with hoselock male fitting and tightens with a wing type jubilee clip as sometimes the thread is knackered on tap and you cannot get normal 3/4" thread male fitting on. Also 1 joining fitting to couple 2 hoses together as you just might need couple both your hoses together. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yea... The "wind up" mob are all still in bed with hangovers so just watch out..
Welcome to "fun".........:thumb:

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
P'raps appropriate to mention that some of this applies to EHU as well ::bigsmile:
Different lengths of lead.
A selection of adaptors-especially when going abroad.

Mike.

Upvote 0

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Nowt wrong with taking your own water, we always do, not always full but enough so that if we stop somewhere we don't have to start filling up, but, yes you need your own hose or watering can or something to fill with because you are going to have to fill at some point , and has as already been said there are pipes at some sites but you have no idea what they were used for before you got there. Although food quality hoses look dear we have found they are well worth it, the normal garden hose don't last two minutes till they are kinked and twisted apart from them not supposed to be good for you:thumb:

Same as us, and we also have Nature Pure fitted.:Cool:

Keith

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We travel with water on-board but also take along an aqua-roll and a sub pump rig which plugs in next to the O/B Filler Cap :thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we don't drink from ours so carry several 2 litre bottles of fresh water, also drive with full water tank (when I remember) we have no weight issue either.

Another vote from me for the watering can, we were given that as an essential thing to carry when we started, it is great, I walk most days to the tap, 10l of water does washing up and loo (our flush comes from the main tank) for the day, if we shower I might do 2 fills the following day, 120 litres goes quite a long way so only needs occasional top up

I drive home as empty as it is when we leave, fill back up at home

Oh and welcome :thumb:

David

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I always have water onboard. Rarely a full tank as the sites I've been using, so far, have good water provisions. But handy for the odd stop to flush the toilet or wash hands, make some coffee, etc.

I fill up when arriving and just keep an eye on it.

Lesson learnt from our first trip with Udo. Water ran out. Water heater on. Oops.

To be fair, the water heater element had breathed its last at that point anyway. But if you do run out, be really pedantic about bleeding your system before you switch on your electric water heater. Make it a rule that you check each time you arrive at a site, no matter what.

Upvote 0

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
drinking water

we don't drink from ours so carry several 2 litre bottles of fresh water, also drive with full water tank (when I remember) we have no weight issue either.
::bigsmile: We do have a weight issue...................... and no not me :roflmto:

So instead of carrying bottles of water, whenever we boil the kettle, throughout the day, whatever is left over goes into a bottle in the fridge for drinking.

As others have said we also carry enough to make those first few cuppa's.......
then if it's raining or we run out, we open the wine.

We always make room for that.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Our biggest problem is getting the right tap connector. We have a number of different sizes but still encounter difficulties.
The biggest boon is the 12 volt inlet already on the MH. We bought a submersible pump and fill up a 20 litre container which I then transport on a little fold up trolley.
Sounds a bit of a faff but it gets us out if trouble.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
What you need to carry depends on the kind of touring you plan to do. Since we use mainly CS sites in the UK and camperstops/aires abroad, we carry a wide range of facilities.
Two lengths of hose: 5 and 15 metres with hozelock connectors on all ends and a double male union to join them.
Screw-on tap adapters in three diameters (the standard and smallest are normally sold together, the larger one may take a bit of tracking down). These are Hozelock-type.
A rubber push-on tap adapter for when all else fails.
Abroad, some bornes de service (the service points that dispense water, electricity and have the toilet dump trough in one unit) require the use of the double male union to get fresh water. This supply coupling is in the minority - most require the screw-on tap adapter.

We fill up and dump whenever possible and always travel with a full fresh tank when we can. If travelling abroad and using aires or wilding (also in Scotland) we have found it best policy to keep the tank full.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our biggest problem is getting the right tap connector. We have a number of different sizes but still encounter difficulties.
The biggest boon is the 12 volt inlet already on the MH. We bought a submersible pump and fill up a 20 litre container which I then transport on a little fold up trolley.
Sounds a bit of a faff but it gets us out if trouble.

Not a faff at all. As posted on another thread recently, we had the same arrangement on our Autoquest and now use an internal socket (after lengthening the pump cable). Makes it easy when at a rally or site for several days.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And when all else fails a funnel with a short bit of hose glued to it plus a collapsible bucket for topping up when you couldn't be bothered to move the 'van to the tap. Aquarolls and the like would be better but too big to store in our vehicle.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Can never understand the aversion to travelling with a full tank of water. Filling up at home is easy, and means you're all sorted when you get there. I also fill up when I leave a site for the same reason. Can just about understand if you're on the limit for weight, but otherwise it seems a no-brainer.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Can never understand the aversion to travelling with a full tank of water. Filling up at home is easy, and means you're all sorted when you get there. I also fill up when I leave a site for the same reason. Can just about understand if you're on the limit for weight, but otherwise it seems a no-brainer.

140 litre water tank is 2 x people........ why carry that much weight when is it easy to fill up on arrival or as I and many do have a 10lt bottle, which we use whilst transiting from place to place. We have used this method across EU and in UK with no problem to date. We also use a very basic watering can system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi and welcome to Motorhome Fun, and yes you have landed on the Best motorhome forum around, ask any questions you like you usually get a answer pretty quick, best £10 you will spend is the sub for the year.

We usually carry at least a quarter tank of water, never leave things to chance that you don't need to, and as said carry your own hose and attachments because at some point you will need them.

If storage is a problem you can get them that flatten out and go on a reel, keep the questions coming that's what the forum is all about. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Despite carrying all the hoses and bits and pieces described we always set off with a full tank 120 litres.
Why wouldn't you if you have a decent payload?
Arrive on site within 5 minutes sat down with a cuppa or a beer watching the "I don't carry water" brigade traipsing around with bottles, watering cans etc etc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Despite carrying all the hoses and bits and pieces described we always set off with a full tank 120 litres.
Why wouldn't you if you have a decent payload?
Arrive on site within 5 minutes sat down with a cuppa or a beer watching the "I don't carry water" brigade traipsing around with bottles, watering can etc etc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We have about 1/4 tank travelling. No need for any more.. Even tho we have plenty of payload.
If a site has fresh water we always fill up on entering..
Its my opinion only.. But driving carrying as much as possible just doesn't make sense. We always have plenty of payload available. This does assist with wear and tear and fuel consumption.. Which is good.

Upvote 0

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I travel with half a tank which is about 60L, when it comes to filling up i have got a flat hose on a reel, this is a triple bore hose that winds on to a reel , you can reel off as much or as little as you and it will still flow full on as it does not squash down like ordinary flat hose
Broken Link Removed
pete

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have about 1/4 tank travelling. No need for any more.. Even tho we have plenty of payload.
If a site has fresh water we always fill up on entering..
Its my opinion only.. But driving carrying as much as possible just doesn't make sense. We always have plenty of payload available. This does assist with wear and tear and fuel consumption.. Which is good.

Each to their own :thumb:
1/4 tanks no good to us the way my missus uses water. :ROFLMAO:
In my opinion carrying the equivalent of one extra person is hardly going to wear my van out. After all its nearly 12 years old and still perfect and can regularly be seen travelling all over Europe with a full tank of water.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back