Monks Barn site nr Stratford upon Avon (1 Viewer)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We stayed here last week, really good find. £11 per night inc ehu. Mix of grass or hard standing. Water, waste etc and showers (didn't use so can't comment)

A walk across the field by the river to the pub in the village (Clifford chambers).

Good access to the traffic free cycle path into Stratford.

Owners were lovely, leant us a os map. They also have a beautiful old barn which can be used for rallies. We stayed in the rally field, as we are not CC members. CC parking was nearer the farm and the road.

A well situated site, good value, beautiful setting. :thumb:

http://www.monksbarnfarm.co.uk

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
We stayed there last year before Stratford and will return this year. As you say a really good find.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We stayed in the rally field, as we are not CC members.

As non members they should not have admitted you.. rally field or not, you had full use of the facilities..

As a Club member this annoys me, I'm not having a go at you .. but at the CL site owners.. and the Club itself for not enforcing their own rules.

What's the point of paying annual subs of £44 if they admit non members free. ?

Rule 1: Visitors to your CL must be members of the Caravan Club (Club Rule)
This is a condition of your certificate, breach of which could also put your cover at risk should a claim arise under your public liability insurance.
All members carry a membership card, renewed annually on the anniversary date of joining, so please ask to see this as evidence of current membership.
Check the expiry date and note the member’s name, address, telephone number and membership number in your booking in diary, just in case any queries arise.

Quite a lot of members complain to us that owners do not ask to see their cards. They like to know that CLs are for their exclusive use!

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/7699348/clguidancenotes.pdf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
sounds a bit of snobbery here another funster stays on a site u r a member of and u get annoyed live and let live i reckon ? :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
sounds a bit of snobbery here another funster stays on a site u r a member of and u get annoyed live and let live i reckon ? :Smile:

nowt to do with snobbery... it's the same as those who don't pay on aires..

and as I said .. it wasn't having a go at a fun member .. but at the C CLUB

it's not a case of 'live and let live' ..

how often do you go on a cl and find it has not 5 or 6 vans.. but 10 or more... . and when you arrive no one asks to see your card.. then you know the owner is being greedy.

you also know that there are probably some who are not club members..

Why pay £44 if others can enjoy the same benefits free.. ?

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think there may be a bit of confusion here.

Jim is quite right that CL owners certificated by the CC (and the C&CC) should abide by the members only condition which they sign up to.

However, looking at the UK Campsite entry it appears that Monks Barn has a private site licence as well - "Pitches: 5 Caravan Club Only and Private 6 Pitch Site" - so the rally field is not just a rally field.

We stayed at a CL/Touring Park with a similar arrangement in Mansfield a few years ago.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think there may be a bit of confusion here.

Jim is quite right that CL owners certificated by the CC (and the C&CC) should abide by the members only condition which they sign up to.

However, looking at the UK Campsite entry it appears that Monks Barn has a private site licence as well - "Pitches: 5 Caravan Club Only and Private 6 Pitch Site" - so the rally field is not just a rally field.

We stayed at a CL/Touring Park with a similar arrangement in Mansfield a few years ago.

thanks Graham..

Never thought to look there.. I only checked the entry on the Caravan Club CL sites list..

The web site for the farm in the OP has no info on camping.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
The rally field is past the farm buildings down near the river. It has hard standing and grass pitches, some with ehu, rubbish bins, a water tap and grey waste drain, elsan point.

The shower and toilet block is nearer the farm and the hard standing cc pitches. Which I presume are exclusively for CC members.

We didn't use any of the CC facilities.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The rally field is past the farm buildings down near the river. It has hard standing and grass pitches, some with ehu, rubbish bins, a water tap and grey waste drain, elsan point.

The shower and toilet block is nearer the farm and the hard standing cc pitches. Which I presume are exclusively for CC members.

We didn't use any of the CC facilities.

thanks,

as I said.. wasn't having a pop at you.. my gripe is with the CC

glad you had a nice visit.. :Smile:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
thanks,

as I said.. wasn't having a pop at you.. my gripe is with the CC

glad you had a nice visit.. :Smile:

No problem Jim, I can see where you are coming from. Being newish I didn't know about her private licence and I wasn't clear in my first post about the site.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't know why the CC and C&CC insist on members only at their CLs/CSs. The MCC don't, which is why they are able to run the Nightstop scheme in partnership with Practical Motorhome.

Para 5(2) of the First Schedule of the 1960 Act simply says "For the purposes of this paragraph an exempted organisation may issue as respects any land a certificate stating that the land has been approved by the exempted organisation for use by its members for the purposes of recreation."

It does not say that the land is not approved for non-members nor that the land is for exclusive use of members.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
What's the night stop scheme graham?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't know why the CC and C&CC insist on members only at their CLs/CSs. The MCC don't, which is why they are able to run the Nightstop scheme in partnership with Practical Motorhome.

Para 5(2) of the First Schedule of the 1960 Act simply says "For the purposes of this paragraph an exempted organisation may issue as respects any land a certificate stating that the land has been approved by the exempted organisation for use by its members for the purposes of recreation."

It does not say that the land is not approved for non-members nor that the land is for exclusive use of members.

I would assume it's to generate a guaranteed income for the club ..

if anyone could use CLs then membership numbers would no doubt fall.. I'd be one of the first to leave.

also, as with the any club, CC members should have privileges over non members.. some complain about non members being able to use club sites , albeit at a higher rate.. and I can see where they are coming from when you try to book and a site is full.. and no doubt some are non members.

so yes, IMO , some exclusivity is expected if you are a paying member.

Last edited:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I would assume it's to generate a guaranteed income for the club ..

if anyone could use CLs then membership numbers would no doubt fall.. I'd be one of the first to leave.

also, as with the any club, CC members should have privileges over non members.. some complain about non members being able to use club sites , albeit at a higher rate.. and I can see where they are coming from when you try to book and a site is full.. and no doubt some are non members.

so yes, IMO , some exclusivity is expected if you are a paying member.

As Jim says l would leave the CC if I could use CLs without being a member. The sole reason for joining in the first place was to use CLs
I do, currently use Mayday, but I could likely get as good or better deal independent of the CC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back