Has anyone got a good one ? (2 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What a sorry lot of posts today, damp, recalls, engines with no oil , are bad ones more common than good uns nowerdays, how anyone can read this forum and then go out and spend 50 grand sometimes escapes me, unless it's all to do with the date today:Eeek:
Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but of my immediate round of friends and relations, we must have been through at least 20 mhs including old ones and what we have now and never met up with any damp in any of them, but the newest of them is 08 so that's maybe something to do with it:thumb::thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I did a conversion, so none of the aforementioned problems.

But may change in a few years and will choose very carefully.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
What a sorry lot of posts today, damp, recalls, engines with no oil , are bad ones more common than good uns nowerdays, how anyone can read this forum and then go out and spend 50 grand sometimes escapes me, unless it's all to do with the date today:Eeek:
Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but of my immediate round of friends and relations, we must have been through at least 20 mhs including old ones and what we have now and never met up with any damp in any of them, but the newest of them is 08 so that's maybe something to do with it:thumb::thumb:
I'm very happy with mine but then it's not in the same league as alot of the ones on here.
Being a 1999 PVC and worth considerably less than £50K, it's far less modern and technical too so maybe that also contributes something towards its reliability...:thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Yes I am Happy with my Motorhome

any problems where sorted.

Mel

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am happy with ours. Love it in fact.

I expect it will get damp in it at some stage but there are worse things in life.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We sold our 09 van which was only a year old and went back to the one we have now which is nearly 12 years old for that very reason quality. We spent a huge amount of money on a van that looked amazing but in reality was substandard quality wise and quickly started to give problems. Leaks draughts and bits falling off. We quickly realised we'd made a big mistake and sold it in less than a year and luckily got most of our money back. We then looked for quality rather than cosmetic and after 6 months found this van which is amazing and we just love it the best van we've ever owned. Hopefully unless we win the lottery we'll keep this until we downsize and then we'll probably go for a panel van saw a Auto Sleeper Kingham the other day looked fabulous amazing how much they can get in a panel van.

connie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
problems

10 years old no problems

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes I am Happy with my Motorhome

any problems where sorted.

Mel

I am happy with ours. Love it in fact.

I expect it will get damp in it at some stage but there are worse things in life.

I knew as soon as I posted this would be the responses , how the hell do you put up with such poor workmanship as if it's expected, the money they cost they should be right first time.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I was talking to a couple last week who paid £47K for a new MoHo from Brownhills seven years ago .
They managed 145 miles before it broke down, never to go (for them at least) again.
When they called the dealer they were told that they had actually bought the Unit FOUR HOURS before the company went bust and was taken over by someone else so they weren't interested.
The manufacturer didn't want to know either it seems.
Apparently it took 9 months of legal wrangling by their finance company's solicitor before they got it all sorted out.
Not happy bunnies and it's put them off buying again.

Last edited:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Don't look too closely !!!

Just started on the shower tray ! :cry:

I will give Elddis their due, The executive decision to use the tray that is in my van must have taken years of researching and many sleepless nights before reaching a decision Their Boffins(buffoons) must have spent countless hours scouring every cheap jack, mickey mouse, plastics manufacturer in the known world. what a piece of Shit !

Life expectancy- just long enough to get out of the dealers yard.

The lassies I bought it from said they never used it as a shower ? I believe them as there is no evidence of water having leaked under the tray !

I want to clad the walls but don't fancy cutting out the profile of the wash stand, Is there an easy way ? Using 3mm plastic panels. I have got my High density foam acrylic shower tray and I am confident about cutting it to size and with a 3/4 marine ply base to it, it should be solid as a rock ?

Things we do for fun !!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We get ours damp checked at the factory each year and the only issue that I have had with damp inside is when Dawn spilled the wine on the carpet...... :winky:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Why should anyone 'expect to have damp at some stage' ?
With all the stresses placed on the various joints during normal driving, the joint sealant is bound to give at some point, that's why regular servicing, damp checking and occasional re-sealing is recommended but you shouldn't have to put up with it on a new Unit.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Why should anyone 'expect to have damp at some stage' ?

Absolutely and one of the reasons we went back in age at 12 years not a spec of damp anywhere in our van and it gets used all year round even in the alps for skiing.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I knew as soon as I posted this would be the responses , how the hell do you put up with such poor workmanship as if it's expected, the money they cost they should be right first time.

I haven't had any poor workmanship to "put up with".

I suspect that almost any van will get damp at some stage in its life, but with regular maintenance and inspection you would hope that the extent of it will not be too great or too costly.

By the way, this thread is beginning to deteriorate into one of those where people are berated for their choice of van.

Its as bad as being told how much we are allowed to pay each night on a campsite.:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Maybe I lead a sheltered life, but of my immediate round of friends and relations, we must have been through at least 20 mhs including old ones and what we have now and never met up with any damp in any of them

I think "met" is the operative word. Sooner or later most lightweight timber framed, alloy skinned houses are going to get some.

The thing is to catch it quickly.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My old apache 700 was a 2005 model, we bought at 2 years old in 2007..
Had it for 5 years and was solid.. Only minor issue we had was a seal on the fire flue and some loose sealent on the overhead bed.. Both easily resolved prior to selling it privatly.

My new van is a 2012, same model apache 700.. I cant fault the new cab and engine, drives like a dream.. The improvements to locker space, wider track of the chassis, lighting, electrical controls are all much better...

The let down is this damn water ingress.. Mine got sorted by the factory BUT lets face it, should not be happening with year old vans !!!! Even while i was in Spain I met someone with a Tag axle Autotrail only 1 year old.. You guessed it Damp in the offside wall !!! Since then I have read several Autotrail damp threads.... Love the van and had several Autotrails in the past but seriously now looking at other brands....

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

I don't 'put up' with anything. :wub: Those of you who know me, know that I will just keep on until any problems are sorted to my satisfaction. :winky:

Overall build quality is very good - sturdy panels, well put together, no sign of damp (tho' that might be tempting fate as I'm having this year's hab check done in 3 weeks time ::bigsmile:).

I've had a few niggles with serial water leaks from cheap and nasty water pipe connectors and manifolds. Since I insisted they were replaced with 'proper' connections I've had no further problems. Touch wood .......

The fridge/freezer was not installed in a draught-free manner - regrettably an all-too-common occurrence with many motorhome manufacturers. :RollEyes: I stood my ground until it was re-installed correctly.

The above are problems that I lay firmly at Hobby's door - caused by cutting corners on the production line. :Angry:

The more people that make these issues known on forums such as these the better. :Smile:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
By the way, this thread is beginning to deteriorate into one of those where people are berated for their choice of van.

Its as bad as being told how much we are allowed to pay each night on a campsite.:Doh:[/QUOTE]

Not by me , I am up for everyone whatever they have got, what we should all do is stick up for the consumer, and vote with your money , they would soon start getting it right if no one bought them, but this idea of it's my money I can spend it how I like isn't on even If you are billionaire there's no sense in throwing it away on something you can't use because it's back at the dealers half the time.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Its as bad as being told how much we are allowed to pay each night on a campsite.:Doh:

Not by me , I am up for everyone whatever they have got, what we should all do is stick up for the consumer, and vote with your money , they would soon start getting it right if no one bought them,[HI] but this idea of it's my money I can spend it how I like isn't on [/HI]even If you are billionaire there's no sense in throwing it away on something you can't use because it's back at the dealers half the time.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is "on". People can spend there own money as they wish. Likewise they can choose to complain or not to complain about something.

Its called freedom of choice and I will continue to exercise it.:thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

I just berated Dawn for spilling the wine............ I chose the van therefore it was right :winky:

See what you mean, though:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We bought our Autotrail Dakota last summer, it came with a 3 year "bought warranty" for habitation/mechanical from the dealers, who have been fantastic. They sent a mechanic out to sort the leaking fuel filter which failed a couple of days after we bought the van and were heading home. This was a 200 mile round-trip for the dealers, but it was sorted out. Have had no bother with it since.

The only niggle we have is with the habitation door, there's a gap near the bottom and it's needs a real solid slam to close it:RollEyes: Possibly the seal needs replacing, or the door adjusting, but that will be sorted out under the "bought warranty" shortly.

Apart from this, we're very happy with it, it came with many extras fitted by the original owner who bought it new. We could never have afforded to add these ourselves (full habitation aircon, Teleco sat dish, cruise control, water filter). There are heating probes in the water tank, not sure if these come as standard. It's a 2008 with a 3 litre mjtd engine/160 bhp which we think the previous owner had done as a special order/option/upgrade? Because most of the Dakotas we looked at were 2.3 litre engines........

Overall we're happy with the van, we use it every day, it's our sole vehicle and will be watching for signs of damp:RollEyes:

I'd say that everyone has niggles with their van regardless of make or how much they've paid for it........but some won't "air" them on here.

They're mechanical vehicles and there are always going to be things that will go wrong with them, just like cars........but on a bigger and more expensive scale:Sad:

Bill

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Regarding warranties on S/H Units, we were told in no uncertain terms by a salesman at SMC in Newark that theirs did not cover any appliances within the Habitation Area.
Is this the norm?
I wasn't very impressed with that (or him for that matter but that's another story altogether)...

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Regarding warranties on S/H Units, we were told in no uncertain terms by a salesman at SMC in Newark that theirs did not cover any appliances within the Habitation Area.
Is this the norm?
I wasn't very impressed with either that (or him for that matter but that's another story altogether)...
Bollox, they can't ignore the law, specifically the Sale of Goods Act.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We love ours even though she now getting on 13 years old, how we don't have a troublesome teenager on our hands. :thumb:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I won't tempt providence, as mine is currently away for its annual Hab' service.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Since we bought our van (now almost 11 years old) a couple of years ago we have had a wheel bearing replaced and had to sort out some damp caused by sealant failure (as mentioned above).

Overall, though, it is well put together, has had no trouble with two MoTs and (apart from the damp mentioned) no trouble with two habitation services.

We've spent some money adding bits that we want (e.g. solar panel, Alugas, rear view camera) and will be having some upholstery refurbished next week but that is all personal choice and (apart from the upholstery) could well have been needed on a brand new van.

When we first bought the van - a bit of a "have to" after our visit from Asda ::bigsmile: - we thought it might just be a stop-gap for up to 12 months. For what we spent on it and what we get out of it, though, we are well pleased and intend keeping it for several years to come.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
'Damp' - the occasions mentioned by others in response to my comment, are what I call 'maintenance' and 'wear and tear' - not like there's a damp problem from new cos it's been manufactured wrong.

We've only had 2 vans so far and been happy with both. Far as we are concerned you reap what you sow; if you do the preventative maintenance or don't do it - then you reap the respective rewards ......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back