Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Bought a brand-new Moho in December.
February - letter from manufacturer - "urgent safety recall" (they sent engineers out to add some missing chassis bolts; they also found a damp issue around one window; when they'd gone, I realised they'd also been under the floor in the cab)
March - another letter - they want the Moho back for minimum 6 weeks for unspecified reasons - presumably to fix the window seal - and also to 'bring it up to current standards'(???)
Is this usual?
Should I be worried?
Should I ask for my money back?
Can I demand a replacement while they have my van in (I have a 3-month tour arranged)?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
February - letter from manufacturer - "urgent safety recall" (they sent engineers out to add some missing chassis bolts;

Buy British, swiftly.

Do you best to sling it back.

Do a search on here and see how bad their quality control and design is.

They do not deserve your business and how on earth do they survive constantly rebuilding new MHs ????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
February - letter from manufacturer - "urgent safety recall" (they sent engineers out to add some [HI]missing chassis bolts[/HI]; they also found a damp issue around one window; when they'd gone, I realised they'd also been under the floor in the cab)
March - another letter - [HI]they want the Moho back for minimum 6 weeks for[/HI] [HI]unspecified reasons[/HI] - presumably to fix the window seal - and also to 'bring it up to current standards'(???)
Is this usual?
Should I be worried?
Should I ask for my money back?
Can I demand a replacement while they have my van in (I have a 3-month tour arranged)?
:Eeek:...That's worrying in itself!!
I would want to know why they needed it back, especially for that length of time.
Surely you have a right to know what they're doing to your property??

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Buy British, swiftly.

Do you best to sling it back.

Do a search on here and see how bad their quality control and design is.

They do not deserve your business and how on earth do they survive constantly rebuilding new MHs ????
Have I missed something, what make is it please?

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sadly, it IS British. It seems to be a general recall of this model.
I've spoken to the dealer, who hadn't been informed by the mnft & isn't too happy - he's talking to the mnft to see what it's all about. When he has a reply I'll be on to the mnft too. They say what they're planning to do is part of the warranty(?) but I think I have to have concerns re re-sale value etc.
Yorick, do you know how long I have (presumably under Sale of Goods Act) to reject it?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have I missed something, what make is it please?

You are new(ish) around here, just search on SWIFT and you can spend a few days reading posts by people tearing their hair out. Same bunch of problems time after time.

I'm not qualified to buy one, no hair.

One of the most entertaining threads was on FACTS years ago where a guy had leaflets printed saying something like "DO NOT BUY A SWIFT" and he even took them to Germany where they hoped to launch the brand and gave them out on the exhibition floor. It looked like they bought him off with a non-disclosure agreement. He even lettered up the van and parked outside the supplying dealer. The dealer then sent some "heavies" to move him on, bad move, he was ex-SAS or something.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've spoken to the dealer, who hadn't been informed by the mnft & isn't too happy

You bet he's not happy, he's the sucker at the sharp end, you did the deal with him.

You can get advice from your local council consumer services. The number of time this has been typed on here is almost countless. Buying a MH can be very stressful.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
That's interesting because I'd heard that Swift were having problems with their later caravans too.
Before I got bitten by the MoHo / Camper Van bug I was looking to upgrade my 2001 Swift caravan for a very nice late model Bessacar but was put off by all the horror stories I was reading about the structural problems people were having with them.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We've had similar problems with our new MH, in and out of the dealers like a fiddlers elbow!
Our bus hasn't been offered a 6 week vacation in Hull, I'm not sure whether the OP is getting the better deal or we are! Maybe all these defective Swifts do need the Hull holiday to really dry out.

Despite my request for a written damp report from the dealer none has been forthcoming. The dealer advised me yesterday that not only has our MH been tested for the window seal recall but also for an examination of external mouldings.

Ours have been removed, holes drilled and sealing injected. I'm now considering an independent damp check.
I've also joined Which Legal services for the year in anticipation of legal fun and games with the dealer.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ours have been removed, holes drilled and sealing injected. I'm now considering an independent damp check.

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

It wasn't as painful as I'd expected although I'm still waiting for the anaesthetic to wear off ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
now I AM worried! but will contact council consumer services as you suggest hilldweller

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Brian, you really take the biscuit with your anti swift posts these days...

firstly the OP says its a Brit van but as yet not a swift.

And even if it is, you neglect to give credence to the tens of 1000s of others that own swift group products and are more than satisified.

If the van is a swift, the OP may get more credence from asking the questions on the swift talk forum (google it).

At the same time Brian, maybe you and others should have a peek in there too and see the work that Swift do in order to ensure the customer is put first.

Im no spokesman for swift, far from it, What I do know is that in my experience of owning other vans from around Europe and a general interest in MHs as a whole htere are bad vans out there everywhere.

What I also know is that mine, is enjoyable well refined and a pleasure to own as long as I have my toolbox with me.

Incedently the post refered too that you quote, do me a favour, go and investigate it thoroughly and explore all arguments, then make the decision. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Brian, you really take the biscuit with your anti swift posts these days...

firstly the OP says its a Brit van but as yet not a swift.

And even if it is, you neglect to give credence to the tens of 1000s of others that own swift group products and are more than satisified.

If the van is a swift, the OP may get more credence from asking the questions on the swift talk forum (google it).

At the same time Brian, maybe you and others should have a peek in there too and see the work that Swift do in order to ensure the customer is put first.

Im no spokesman for swift, far from it, What I do know is that in my experience of owning other vans from around Europe and a general interest in MHs as a whole htere are bad vans out there everywhere.

What I also know is that mine, is enjoyable well refined and a pleasure to own as long as I have my toolbox with me.

Incedently the post refered too that you quote, do me a favour, go and investigate it thoroughly and explore all arguments, then make the decision. :thumb:

Brian would reply but he's rolling around on the floor with stomach cramps at the moment:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You are new(ish) around here, just search on SWIFT and you can spend a few days reading posts by people tearing their hair out. Same bunch of problems time after time.

I'm not qualified to buy one, no hair.

One of the most entertaining threads was on FACTS years ago where a guy had leaflets printed saying something like "DO NOT BUY A SWIFT" and he even took them to Germany where they hoped to launch the brand and gave them out on the exhibition floor. It looked like they bought him off with a non-disclosure agreement. He even lettered up the van and parked outside the supplying dealer. The dealer then sent some "heavies" to move him on, bad move, he was ex-SAS or something.

"ROCLAIRE" :thumb:::bigsmile::winky: SWIFT and the dealer probably learned a lot about how to reject a van in a few mths rather than dragging it through courts :winky::Smile:They exchanged the van eventually and then had to exchange again :Eeek:then I heard a RUMOR that he got his money back -no idea if this is true but yes he got a gagging order as part of the exchange deal :winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Investigate it, I was part of it. I was in a long PM conversation trying to calm him down before he did something he'd regret. That was a very angry soldier. His take on the child seat issue was totally wrong.

You're not paying attention on here if you did not immediately shout "SWIFT", the clue was missing chassis bolts.

It's so sad too, get a good one and they are really good and British, that's what angers me, UK jobs are at stake because of failings in the factory.

Anyway, all change now isn't it, they've embarked on a whole new construction method.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back