What to do with old lesuire batteries (1 Viewer)

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
As some of you have read in another of my posts i have just replaced both my lesuire batteries, thing is what to do with my old ones
I stuck them on a car charger overnight and then set up a test i hooked up the 110a to a halogen spot light, and connected up my avo to show volts and amps

The amps were a tad under 4, and the voltage 12.5 i came back after an hour to find the light still on and shinning bright, but the voltage was down to 10.5, amps had gone down to 3.7

i switched off and came back 15 mins later to find the voltage up to 12 , so i switched the light on an got another 15mins then the amps had gone right down and the voltage was at a critical 10v
question to you guys is how Fu--ked is this battery, to my mind it still has some good use, also if it was charged with an intelligent charger there would be even more power to be had,
What should i do with it, it is 4 years old, oh yes forgot to mention the smaller 85a battery was put to the same test and only got about 1/2 hour before the dreaded 10v
pete

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I had a couple of old car batteries in a shed with a small 0.5 Watt solar panel attached via a charge controller, and used them for lighting the shed and recharging small appliances like phones and a laptop via a 3x 12v socket thingy I bought from Aldi. I've since adapted the gear for use in our conservatory but the battery I'm currently using has had it.

Not incredibly economical given the initial set up cost but now the kit's there I can attach other tired batteries and get a bit more use out of them. When the camper's leisure battery needs replacing I'll use the old one. Only works spring - autumn on 0.5W though. Not much good in winter.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's 4 amps for one hour, so let's call it 4ah out of a 110ah battery, doesn't look good to me.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Christ on a bike I haven't seen a meter like that for 30 years!::bigsmile: Answer to your question is battery is FUBAR (google it if you don't recognise the acronym:Eeek:)

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well f--ked.

Apms have little bearing but volts do.

To drop from 12.5 to 10.5volts in one hour, even under load points to a dead battery.

Take em to your local scrap man....around £8 each scrap value.

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Yes i realise they are not fit for purpose, thats why i changed them at weekend
i am so tight i cant bear to throw out these old batteries, i am going to have to let go before i become the hoarder next door
good news about the scrap value though, i was going to leave them out for the Itinerants
oh year that old meter is my trusty old mk2 Avo, they dont make them like that anymore , built to last ha ha
pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes i realise they are not fit for purpose, thats why i changed them at weekend
i am so tight i cant bear to throw out these old batteries, i am going to have to let go before i become the hoarder next door
good news about the scrap value though, i was going to leave them out for the Itinerants
oh year [HI]that old meter is my trusty old mk2 Avo, they dont make them like that anymore , built to last[/HI] ha ha
pete

you're not alone....

I have some old snap-on meters which are of little use these days though.

Ignition points dwell meter, tachometer which attaches to ignition coil etc, timing light which clamps around HT lead....dont think theres many cars with HT leads these days...coil on plug seems favourite method now :Eeek:

Only keep the dwell meter for the Ohm/volt/amp meter functions

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I used one of those avo's for years right up until they were not accurate enough and drew to much current for digital stuff

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
no wonder the Itinerants nicked my batt.from outside of my house.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
There's actually thieving sh#its taking batteries from caravans and motorhomes purely to weigh in as scrap.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Scrap Batteries

This is a good subject, I have "stored" redundant batteries in the garage for years before now thinking it will be usefull, but after not being able to get into the garage a couple of years ago I now apply the 5 second rule which is
If I cant think of a good use for it within five seconds then its down the tip, and after a couple of years I havnt thought to myself well I wish I had kept that, not really a suggestion of what to do with old batteries though ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I need to employ that 5 sec rule in the garage :thumb: Trouble is I find things I am not looking for after I have bought replacements knowing I have one or two in the garage --The other day I was looking and opened a old tool box to find 4 tape measures :thumb:a dozen pencils which I promptly put in a safe place :thumb: only for me to spend ten mins looking for them yesterday--After giving up on them I went to the screw box for screws only to find them on top of it :Doh:::bigsmile:They are now scattered in various places along with half a dozen tapes both inside the van/work bench and garage - Still never found the 2 foam guns ended up buying another :winky:
terry

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I am still looking for a bike pump.that I found just after xmas.put back in shed on shelf.not there now. ???:Sad::Sad:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Don't do that :Eeek: just an invite for the thieving b******ds to come in and clean you out :Doh:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
you're not alone....

I have some old snap-on meters which are of little use these days though.

Ignition points dwell meter, tachometer which attaches to ignition coil etc, timing light which clamps around HT lead....dont think theres many cars with HT leads these days...coil on plug seems favourite method now :Eeek:

Only keep the dwell meter for the Ohm/volt/amp meter functions

I've stillgot an AVO 7 (panclimatic) which is still in use for heavy duty (non-digital use) but I've graduated to a Fluke digital multimeter for most things. I've also got a dwell meter, home-made but it was the only way to set the points on my OM's Cresta and my Opel Ascona to get them to run properly. Come to think of it, somewhere I've got one of those voltmeters in a chrome case with a spike on the case connected to the -ve and a flying lead with a test prod on the end for the positive - weren't they used to check lead-acid radio accumulators and HT and bias batteries on domestic wireless sets? Yes, I am getting on a bit .......

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
:thumb:Scrap lead price is sky high. Got £25 for 2 similar recently at local scrap dealer.
Cheers
Bernie

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Are you sure you can scrap things in still ? Ralph had a load of very thick cable copper wiring from an old substation he knocked down. He had a right job getting rid. He went to his usual scrapman. Can't remember the official reply but on the lines that you need a licence , cos of all the gypsies etc robbing cables from BR and substations etc.
He ended up giving it to the skip people who he uses , he gave Ralph a cut. But it was a fraction of what he'd get normally.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Are you sure you can scrap things in still ? Ralph had a load of very thick cable copper wiring from an old substation he knocked down. He had a right job getting rid. He went to his usual scrapman. Can't remember the official reply but on the lines that you need a licence , cos of all the gypsies etc robbing cables from BR and substations etc.
He ended up giving it to the skip people who he uses , he gave Ralph a cut. But it was a fraction of what he'd get normally.

Yeah you can still take it in I took some in 3 weeks ago no problem at all.
Wont pay cash anymore just credited my card. Apparently you can have a cheque and take it to a local cheque casher but they can charge up to 10%.:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back