Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
12v mcb

Hi Pete, rightly or wrong I am using two of these 20A mcb s'. One on the pos lead from my solar controller to my leisure batteries and one on my connecting lead to my Veh batt which was the prime mover why I got them. (Left hand side of the controller in the pic)

Broken Link Removed

Everyone was telling me that when you start your engine all hell breaks loose. Nuclear attack on all circuits and Leisure batteries are melted into POP art. So a fuse is necessary to protect the world. I thought that if the end of the world came, then someone could come along and press the mcbs' button and service would be resumed.

Funnily enough, I have forgotten to open the mcb, ie. break the connection to my Leisure batteries, twice actually (an age thing ?).

Well bugger all happened ! The mcb didn't appear to flinch at all but Techno said that may have been because my batts were all charged, so no great movement of Amps. Whatever !

Should have also said that because of above I don't actually know if they work !

Attachments

• DSC_3766.jpg
    DSC_3766.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I said? I never touch my fuses or disconnect anything it is fit and forget :thumb:

Sounds like you have employed Clive Mott's fuse bridge

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has any one used these or similar, are they any good ,would you trust them?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Circuit-B...I_CircuitBreakers_RL&var=&hash=item4acd11bbed
pete

An impressive piece of miniaturisation, for sure.

But in the last 7 years I think I've blown about 2 of the 40 odd fuses so not very cost effective. Last one was a couple of weeks ago, I damaged a 12V connector, switched the 12V off then found the hard way when trying to straighten the + clip inside that this connector was on it's own fused permanent on circuit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
fuses generally arc, due to the current being suddenly interupted, when they blow so these could possibly weld shut, or even open, when they trigger .

The bigger the amperage, the bigger the arc.

A regular fuse just blows and needs replacing so this doesnt matter then

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Great replies, thanks fella's, i will but a job lot of normal fuses like in Thechno's link, i would worry that they could weld themselves as mentioned by pappajohn

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Sounds like you have employed Clive Mott's fuse bridge.
http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/BRIDGING FUSE.htm

I guess it must be his, I just came across it as an alternative to ÂŁ90, or something, worth of battery master !

5M of 10mm (sq) cable and a fuse was easier and hell of a lot cheaper ? :Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Great replies, thanks fella's, i will but a job lot of normal fuses like in Thechno's link, i would worry that they could weld themselves as mentioned by pappajohn

For the Halfords fans just price up how much 60 fuses costs plus petrol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Broken Link Removed

For the Halfords fans just price up how much 60 fuses costs plus petrol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

not saying Halfords are top dog but its all down to quality though.....

Cheap chinese fuses have a nasty habit of melting long before they blow.
Quality fuses will blow before they melt.....and will blow much closer to their rated amperage.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Led fuses

Hang on, while we are on the theme how about these sort of ordinary fuses that light up with a wee LED if they blow. Are they any good or are we back on the price thing again ? :Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
not saying Halfords are top dog but its all down to quality though.....

Cheap chinese fuses have a nasty habit of melting long before they blow.
Quality fuses will blow before they melt.....and will blow much closer to their rated amperage.

Where do you think most of Halfords stock is sourced :roflmto: and Maplins

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hang on, while we are on the theme how about these sort of ordinary fuses that light up with a wee LED if they blow. Are they any good or are we back on the price thing again ? :Smile:

havent come across those but it seems like using a 500w floodlight to see in your understairs cupboard......pointless.
You are buying something to show something isnt working and has no further use even though the led is working....if that makes sense.

If a fuse blows the circuit it protects stops working.
Takes a few seconds to change a fuse to confirm it was the fuse.

Last edited:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
I appreciate that but it usually it is in the dark (Sods Law rules) and torch battery is always running down, if the wee LED light was glowing away, it would be easy to spot amongst the myriad fuses there seems to be in most mohos. In awkward blooming locations too !

I was quite taken with the idea but I am a sucker for finding things to waste my hard earneds on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back