LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi, We found the MH very draughty so I bought these winter vents from ebay but now notice apart from the wrong colour they are too short so then I thought that perhaps they are meant to fit on top of existing covers. It looks ok but the bottom keeps popping out.

Is this how they go or are they totally wrong ones?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20140331_143135 - Copy.jpg
    20140331_143135 - Copy.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 203

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The vents look correct as there is supposed to be a gap for air circulation (as I understand it) . But if your chausson has a built in has step like ours.. The vents in that step let in a positive gale.. Maybe worth checking if you have the step.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I think, but not 100% sure! that they are supposed to have the gap at the bottom, as air still needs to circulate through to make the fridge work properly. But you shouldn't need fridge vents on at this time of year.

Maybe the draught is coming in the van because the fridge isn't sitting properly in it's housing. You need that air passing over the back of your fridge and as the weather gets warmer the more air the better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I don't know what type of rooflights that you have, but ours had no seals fitted and let in a horrendous draught.
The MH was constantly cold.

Have a look on here Broken Link Removed

Hope this is helpful. :thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The winter covers you have may be fine although you shouldn't need them once the temperature outside is above approx 8deg.

However, if you are experiencing a draught inside the m/h which is coming around the fridge then the fridge wants sealing as you may be drawing in carbon monoxide when fridge is on lpg.

I hope you have a CO detector fitted .... if not I would reccommend getting one urgently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think, but not 100% sure! that they are supposed to have the gap at the bottom, as air still needs to circulate through to make the fridge work properly. But you shouldn't need fridge vents on at this time of year.

Maybe the draught is coming in the van because the fridge isn't sitting properly in it's housing. You need that air passing over the back of your fridge and as the weather gets warmer the more air the better.

Wish we had some of the sunshine England is having. Its only 6c here and feels more like 2c:Sad:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Wish we had some of the sunshine England is having. Its only 6c here and feels more like 2c:Sad:

Same here in The Scottish Borders and thick fog / low cloud. <bbbbbrrrrrrr>
I can't even see the garden though the window.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Oh dear, that's not good, maybe you do need the fridge covers on then. But like others have said, not to cut down drafts in the van.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
However, if you are experiencing a draught inside the m/h which is coming around the fridge then the fridge wants sealing as you may be drawing in carbon monoxide when fridge is on lpg.

Before you panic too much remember you can remove the external louvred panel top and bottom and look inside. The ventilation space at the rear of the fridge should be enclosed (and all joints in wooden panels are normally sealed with silicon).

If it all looks pretty than the draught is coming from somewhere else. Which is normally the case. A few tea light candles will show up draughts quite well (although it may be better if you're not driving at the time) :thumb:

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have two vents on the side of our La Strader (Sprinter body). The draught is [STRIKE]pretty[/STRIKE] bad. One vent appears to have the exhaust from the fridge, the other appears to be venting the leisure battery area. I'm buying a new LB (which won't vent gasses). I'm guessing that I can block the vent for the LB area (is that likely to cause a problem) but is there anything that I can do for the fridge vent?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Before you panic too much remember you can remove the external louvred panel top and bottom and look inside. The ventilation space at the rear of the fridge should be enclosed (and all joints in wooden panels are normally sealed with silicon).

If it all looks pretty than the draught is coming from somewhere else. Which is normally the case. A few tea light candles will show up draughts quite well (although it may be better if you're not driving at the time) :thumb:

We have 2 vents one above the other at the fridge and one to the side where the grill is. Draught seems to be coming from the vent opening above the grill door, also when you open the cupboard door below the grill.

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Puddleduck;97396pe3 said:
Same here in The Scottish Borders and thick fog / low cloud. <bbbbbrrrrrrr>
I can't even see the garden though the window.

We've just spent two fantastic sunny weeks at Roslin, the weather was cold, but we had brilliant sunshine every day until Friday and Saturday just there. Our son and his wife work in Edinburgh and they were saying about the weather over the last couple of days, bitterly cold and thick fog......so think we were lucky with our two weeks at Roslin.:sin:
Yesterday down here in D & G was sunny and warm all day and today was lovely as well:thumb:
Great weather for getting all the washing dried outside.
Having hotmail problems otherwise I would post a couple of photos on here.

Margaret

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, We found the MH very draughty so I bought these winter vents from ebay but now notice apart from the wrong colour they are too short so then I thought that perhaps they are meant to fit on top of existing covers. It looks ok but the bottom keeps popping out.

Is this how they go or are they totally wrong ones?

Thank you

Ours have 2 locks that you turn with a coin at the bottom to,keep them in place ::bigsmile:

Mike

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We found the biggest draught was the vents for the grill/oven same on our new one thinking of blocking the vent off and putting a label on the gas shut off valve so we dont forget to remove it before use

David

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
It is the right vent but the wrong colour. I could be wrong but I think that most marques will sell covers in their own colours. I know that Dethleffs do, and theirs are much cheaper than Dometic to buy.
Alan

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back