Zorin o.s. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had a play when I was last evaluating Desktop Linux.

I decided to go with Linux Mint Xfce edition. Been working great for me the last 2 years. Coming up to re-evaluation time to see what's out there though and Zorin is one I will be looking at again.

I will specifically be looking at it because it is supposed to be a good replacement for ex XP users. I have a few users on XP and some of them are ideal for moving over to Linux for lowered support requirements.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tick59

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:roflmto::roflmto:
PUT IT ON PC ALONGSIDE XP. LOOKS GOOD AND USING IT NOW VERY MUCH LOOKS LIKE XP AND YOU CAN CHANGE HOW IT LOOKS AND WORKS.FUN!!!FUN!!!FUN!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
PUT IT ON PC ALONGSIDE XP. LOOKS GOOD AND USING IT NOW VERY MUCH LOOKS LIKE XP AND YOU CAN CHANGE HOW IT LOOKS AND WORKS.FUN!!!FUN!!!FUN!!

I'm waiting on it downloading .. it's painfully slow.. and will try on a lappy that has XP which I use solely for viewing an LDS 1881 Scotland census disc that won't run on W7 ..

maybe it will support the viewer.. if so, I'll get rid of XP

Did you have any issues with drivers ??

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Wasn't Zorin Industries a front for a James Bond villain?:Eeek:

Can't remember which film though!::bigsmile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

Oh dear...yes...."A View To A Kill".

img103.jpg

I should watch it again to see if it really was as bad as I remember :Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm waiting on it downloading .. it's painfully slow.. and will try on a lappy that has XP which I use solely for viewing an LDS 1881 Scotland census disc that won't run on W7 ..

[HI]maybe it will support the viewer.. if so, I'll get rid of XP [/HI]

Did you have any issues with drivers ??

If it is a Windows program then no it won't run on linux unless you use something like Wine or Crossover in which case it may run.

The software however should run under W7 if you run it in compatibility mode. There are ways to trick the program into thinking it is running under Windows XP and provide a compatibility layer for that application.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If it is a Windows program then no it won't run on linux unless you use something like Wine or Crossover in which case it may run.

The software however should run under W7 if you run it in compatibility mode. There are ways to trick the program into thinking it is running under Windows XP and provide a compatibility layer for that application.

It won't run in Windows 7 64bit .. even in compatibility mode.. believe me , I have tried.

there is a workaround which I decided wasn't worth the effort and instead used the census discs in the xp laptop ..

Broken Link Removed
Windows 7/8 64-Bit Work-Around
If you have the Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate version (Home or Home Premium will NOT work), you can install and run the free Windows XP Mode*. Inside of the Windows XP virtual machine, you can install and run resource file viewer.

what I am doing is keeping XP just for that program and running a dual boot machine with Zorin

OP
OP
tick59

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Jeez bill. .. when did you get clever .NOT CLEVER JUST NEED NEW O.S.AS XP IS FINISHING SOON AND I CAN'T AFFORD NEW COMPUTER.(POOR PENSIONER) FUN!!!FUN!!!FUN!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not for me I'm afraid.. :thumbdown:

Been playing with it for a few days and had too many problems .. main ones being

1, couldn't get my wireless card to work, despite downloading the recommended driver..
2. Couldn't load my wireless printer software..

and as already mentioned, it wouldn't run the Folio viewer for the 1881 census discs I used with XP.

I was going to run dual boot but, in light of these problems I have ditched it..

I'm sure it is a fine OS.. just not for me ,,

I don't mind getting "the hood up'' and having a go.. but I'm not rebuilding the engine..

Have now installed Windows 7 Ultimate ..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back