to wave or not to wave, that is the question? (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
As a newbie of motorhome ownership of less than one week please funsters advise on the motorhome wave etiquette? We have merrily waved to motorhomers this weekend with a mixed response. Are there some situations you don't wave or certain "brands" or "breeds" which don't entertain the idea and so we are causing offence? :Smile:::bigsmile:

Spatey

Free Member
Apr 21, 2010
Doncaster Sth Yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 months
To wave or not to wave

Hi we always wave if the people don't like it they can ignore us. But when abroad we ahve noticed how friendly people are and always seem to wave :fatbuddha:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wave at whoever you feel like.....if you get a return wave all well and good.

All i can say regarding selective waving......why when we all do the same thing, park in a field and sit outside.

Unless snobbery is involved......its come to our attention our van is better/bigger/newer/higher value than yours then you wont get a wave either way.

Last edited:

connie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
to wave or not

As a newbie of motorhome ownership of less than one week please funsters advise on the motorhome wave etiquette? We have merrily waved to motorhomers this weekend with a mixed response. Are there some situations you don't wave or certain "brands" or "breeds" which don't entertain the idea and so we are causing offence? :Smile:::bigsmile:

yes you must wave it's the law:winky:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We wave, unless we don't see you til too late. Find most wave back. Not wanting to start a debate but we find the ones that least return waves are classic VW drivers. Overall though most waves returned. Question is we exchange waves but if you saw a Moho broken down at the side of the road would you stop to see if you could help?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We wave, unless we don't see you til too late. Find most wave back. Not wanting to start a debate but we find the ones that least return waves are classic VW drivers. Overall though most waves returned. Question is we exchange waves but if you saw a Moho broken down at the side of the road would you stop to see if you could help?

If it was safe to do so then probably - but not if I was travelling alone.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
It would depend on if we could stop safely, were rushing to catch a ferry, or had small children with us. Would also depend where we were .......in Spain or a dodgy area ....it might be a robbery set up:Eeek:.

Having said all that would help if we could.

Think we all should exercise a little caution.

Having said that a lady friend and I once waded into a fight between a couple of gay blokes at a horse show one guy was pretty much unconscious, Shamed the thug into stopping got covered in blood tho! thought afterwards that we might well have got hurt too but didn't feel we had a choice at the time.

Please note I will not offer to be a bouncer at funster meets!

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Wave:fatbuddha:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
You must wave, I'm an unashamed waver I love to get a wave back makes me feel part of a brotherhood/sisterhood if you know what I mean. :fatbuddha: :fatbuddha: :thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if you ever se us and the wee man giving the v for victory singe he is saying cool camper man at the same time that's our funster wave ::bigsmile:

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
We wave :Smile: its easy to miss a wave under some driving conditions :winky:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
We wave if we spot the oncoming motorhome or camper in time, its always more difficult on motorways and dual carriageways. But if I don't wave its purely because I'm watching the Road and have missed a fellow camper, not for any other reason. On a couple of occasions I have seen a motorhome and a wave at the last second and throw up a late wave :sorry2: only to then feel bad in case it wasn't seen and they thought I'd ignored them. I then try to be extra vigilant for a few miles and chunter like an old git when I don't get a return wave.
So I would say, wave when its safe to.:fatbuddha:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I wave at any MH I see. Infact, I am such an avid waver that when we bought our Nissan Cube, the highlight of the purchase was to be told that they are so rare, whenever two Cubes pass each other the owners wave to each other in a maniacal fashion! I have owned the car for nearly two years and have only had the chance to wave twice, this included once when we were in the MH....the Cube driver had a very quizzical look on his face, but waved back anyway!:thumb:

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??

Yes but not if a classic VW,we would never get anywhere.:ROFLMAO:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Wife and I prefer

Benny.jpg

Rob

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I love the whole waving thing.

Sometimes I'm in a land of my own and miss a wave and my wife plays pop. We almost have to do a u-turn to go back and deliver the wave for fear of offending.

Heck, I even get the urge to wave at motorhomes when I'm in my car. How sad is that :Smile:

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
to wave or not to wave,that is the question?

Usualy my wife waves as taking hands off the stearing wheel could cause problems. Never on a motorway.
:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
there we go - its resolved. When get m/h back from repair (see separate post) will wave ubiquitously and oft!:fatbuddha::fatbuddha:, but how will I know if its to a fellow funster - is there an added code (apart from the previously posted a""e out of window!

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Defo wave , if the wave is not returned then it's the one finger salute , they never see the salute as they have past me . It makes me feel better though :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back