1st time filling up Gaslow twin cylinders? (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As the title say, about fill both cylinders for the first time.any particular things I have to watch out for/ take account of?:Smile:
Cheers
David

Just follow the destructions and be aware that the level gauges are known to stick on first fill but will sort themselves out after a drive :thumb:
Link Removed

if you have an ASDA? usually under 65ppl
EDIT
A can of gas leak detection spray is handy to carry to check the joints after filling

A faulty hose not a loose nut
Link Removed

from the link above
gaslow%20first%20fill-M.png

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
they recommend only a 3/4 fill first time to expel air from the cylinders and get the shut off level valves working.
when you disconnect after fitting dont be surprised by the escape of gas at the nozzle, its normal & i am sure you know bottle taps should be closed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
refillable gas

Make sure both cylinders turned off. Take your time. There are normally instructions but if not, there will be someone in the garage who knows how to use it.
When on the road, if you see a garage showing 3 prices on the large sign on the road, chances are they have gas and that is the 3rd price listed. Usually BP garages have gas.
if you go abroad, I think there are 3 other fittings apart from the uk one.
in Spain, you may need toi check before hand, I think you can Google lpg spain and there is a map which shows where a lot of the stations are.
I'm sure its a decision that you will not regret :)

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Once you've attached the filler you need to press and hold the button on the pump.
Or do as I did, stand there like a plum for a while and then refit the filler several times before realising I needed to press the button on the pump which was behind me :Doh: :Doh::Doh:

Cheers. Nige

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
not got refillable gas on MH but have had LPG cars for years

All of above and I suggest a pair of rigger gloves, LPG is dangerously cold, the excess release when you disconnect can be significant and scary first few times

David

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you havent had the pipework pressure tested with air first, only put about 10litres in at first and check all joints with a leak tester spray. if all is sound fill up to about 30litres so you dont trigger the auto shutoff. it may not work on first use anyway and will free off as you drive

the above assumes you have 2x 11kg

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Be careful that you press and hold the correct button. I pressed what I thought was the right one in France once, and after not getting any gas for a while, the bloke came out of his kiosk and told me I was pressing the emergency cut out button.:Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Aha! - our Pilote fridge (Dometic) doesn't even attempt to light the gas for 15 minutes after you turn the engine off.

I cussed it quite a bit for not doing it, until I found out why. It's a jolly good safety feature, I thought.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Aha! - our Pilote fridge (Dometic) doesn't even attempt to light the gas for 15 minutes after you turn the engine off.

I cussed it quite a bit for not doing it, until I found out why. It's a jolly good safety feature, I thought.

Neither does our Thetford but I don't take it for granted ..... the time soon goes when you have problems like we did once when a non return valve stuck open so we had a huge gas cloud and a pool of lpg under the motorhome:Eeek:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I always switched off our 2 Alugas refillables when putting some in but the fitter at Autogas 2000 in Thirsk said it doesn't make the slightest of difference if you leave them open.

Paul.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I was thinking about getting this gas-lo thingy, or whatever they call it, but it all sounds worryingly complicated. I can just see me blowing up the motorhome.

I think I might just stick to good old Calor.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I was thinking about getting this gas-lo thingy, or whatever they call it, but it all sounds worryingly complicated. I can just see me blowing up the motorhome.

the best thing I ever done fitting the gas low system
never run out of gas now and a lot cheaper than calor rip off gas:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's a doddle but not worth the investment unless you have gas heating. However the other advantage is not having to lug bottles around when changing empties.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

it really isnt complicated and absolutely no more difficult or dangerous than swapping an empty calor for a full one.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yorkyman.. Do NOT be afraid of fitting a re-fillable gas system.. Its just the same sized bottles, but they are filled at a petrol station that sells LPG.. You just put the nozzle in, give it a quarter of a turn to lock it to the fill point ( that you get fitted to the skirt of the van ) and then just press the button on the LPG pump and it will deliver gas to your system until the bottle reaches 80% full and it automatically cuts off.. Untwist the filler nozzle from the van and go and pay for it !!! You can't overfill the system..!!. You DONT have to lug heavy bottles around..!!! And when / if you change vans, you just swap it over to the new van.!! I have just removed my system from "the old van" and re-fitted it to my "new van".. It took an hour start to finish... One more word of advice,, Have a look at the firm "GAS-IT" they
are much cheaper than gaslow.. If payload is a problem, fit aluminium bottles from ALU-GAS.. Sorry to ramble on, but in my opinion its a no brainer !! PS. If you are a Europe traveller, then you need 3 little brass adapters that screw onto the filler point to adapt the filler point for the country you are in... Simples .....

Good luck. Mitch.. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Well just back from operation Gaslow - no real problem after 10 mins trying to get the nozzle to 'mate' with the lugs- but practice will make perfect!! I shall make sure to find the cheapest in the area next time, as in my case the closest was probably the most expensive!!:Smile:
Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated!
Dai

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
http://www.filllpg.co.uk/
basic website showing best prices for lpg, but even better download and install their free app for your phone. shows locations of lpg garages near your location and the price. really simple but excellent:thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I shall make sure to find the cheapest in the area next time

As you are in the West Country, take a look at Countrywide Farmers. You can open an account with them at only 5% VAT and have access to all their filling points 24 hours a day. Cheapest I've found. :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Since you are in Burnham I suggest you get an account with Countrywide Farmers. They have depots at Bridgewater, Weston, Glastonbury and many more as you head up-country.
I have an account, paid by DD and they supply a 24/7 electronic key. I also benefit from paying 5% VAT on the LPG as it's for cooking and heating. You have to tell them that when setting up the account.

http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk...fuellingOutlets&pgForward=businesscontentfull

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
I was looking at prices last night 13kg propane bottle, 107.00 to buy and refill 52.00 didn't say if the 107 was for the bottle empty or full, but assuming empty thats 300+ for a two bottle set up, 2 x 11kg Gaslow about 650.00 and about 33.00 to fill, saving roughly 60.00 per fill, seems a bit of a no brainer to me refill aroud 5 time and its paid for itself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back