Solar panel connection types? (1 Viewer)

monty the motorhome

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
august 2012
Just got a 60w Solrtroncia solar panel which connects to the battery via crocodile clips.
Now I would like to have to two options of connecting :-
1. As i do now when placing the panel outside just connecting to the battery via the croc clips or may be as in number 2 by having a seperate connector in the battery box and use a push type fit conenctor.
2. Putting the solar panel in the motorhome by a window when in storage and connecting to the battery via a push type fit connector which i would then drill a hole through the battery box and hard wire to the battery.
My problem is this, where can i get and what type of connectors do i need?
Thanks
Paul

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am not at all technical, but some years ago connected a solar panel directly to my leisure battery while in France

Fine till it went dark I had no 12V, solar panel without a regulator had killed my battery

Be careful :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just got a 60w Solrtroncia solar panel which connects to the battery via crocodile clips.
Now I would like to have to two options of connecting :-
1. As i do now when placing the panel outside just connecting to the battery via the croc clips or may be as in number 2 by having a seperate connector in the battery box and use a push type fit conenctor.
2. Putting the solar panel in the motorhome by a window when in storage and connecting to the battery via a push type fit connector which i would then drill a hole through the battery box and hard wire to the battery.
My problem is this, where can i get and what type of connectors do i need?
Thanks
Paul

If you already have either a cigar lighter socket, caravan-type 2-pin, or Hella connector already installed and running off the leisure battery simply plug it into that.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
to do the job properly you need a diode protected charge controller which won't allow too much juice into the battery, but tbh a 60w isn't much (5a/hr max)
however current flows both ways without a diode and your battery will happily flatten itself at night.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back