Kettle dilemna - solved at last! (1 Viewer)

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For the last few years, we have had three kettles in the motorhome!

1) Normal domestic kettle for use on UK sites with plenty of ampage.
2) Low 500 watt plastic thing, takes ages to boil, looks awful, but for use on low ampage overseas sites
3) A whistler for use when wild camping and when travelling etc.

This was a silly situation and I have looked all over for a nice looking, low wattage, silver coloured kettle. Lo and behold, I was shopping for broccolli when I stumbled on one in Morrisons for £12! It a decent thing, so I bought it and promptly put the other two electrics outside the motorhome "for sale"

Russell

Russell's kettle

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had this one for a year or two, better than the plastic one previous, but I think yours is better so I might see if our local store has them.

Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We carry three..
Gas one and of course the low and high wattage jobbies.
The high wattage one gets used almost everywhere apart from some of the duff French sites we stop at when travelling through.

The trouble with low wattage kettles is they take SOOOOOO long to boil I end up feeling like my throats been cut before I get a cuppa !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just use a whistler nothing else.

I put the water in my cup then pour it into the kettle so I am boiling exactly the right amount. Fast as, and efficient.

Never really considered carrying another kettle to save a tiny bit of gas tbh?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The trouble with low wattage kettles is they take SOOOOOO long to boil I end up feeling like my throats been cut before I get a cuppa !!

The trick to get a quicker cuppa with a 'slow' kettle is to only boil a small amount of water initially, then poor that into the mug(s) with the teabag(s) and give it a good stir round, then put the kettle back on to boil the rest of the water needed. The tea will then 'mash' whilst you wait for the water to boil again and once it has its a matter of topping the mug up, giving the teabag a good stir/squish round and removing it. Much quicker and tastes no different!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Teabags :Eeek:!
Surely nothing but the finest estate grown loose leaf tea brewed in a proper earthenware pot?
Please tell me that "Funsters" have proper standards when it comes to the important things in life...

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Surely nothing but the finest estate grown loose leaf tea brewed in a proper earthenware pot?
Please tell me that "Funsters" have proper standards when it comes to the important things in life...
I hate tea bags so I use one these (without the stand) for my tea.....

Broken Link Removed :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

tea bags are a lot more convenient than leafs, especially when it comes to cleaning the pot out and disposing of the contents..

in defense of loose tea.. can't be beaten :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The trick to get a quicker cuppa with a 'slow' kettle is to only boil a small amount of water initially, then poor that into the mug(s) with the teabag(s) and give it a good stir round, then put the kettle back on to boil the rest of the water needed. The tea will then 'mash' whilst you wait for the water to boil again and once it has its a matter of topping the mug up, giving the teabag a good stir/squish round and removing it. Much quicker and tastes no different!

MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolute sacrilege !

Tea is made in a pot, not a cup.
It must be given time to brew..

Do you have some American in you ancestry ?? !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolute sacrilege !

Tea is made in a pot, not a cup.
It must be given time to brew..

Do you have some American in you ancestry ?? !!
Seeing as I drink loads of tea, if I had to wait for it for ages to brew in a teapot I'd do nothing else all day!!! A teapot isn't actually very practical in a MH either as you waste water rinsing it out all the time.

I usually leave my tea brewing for at least 7 mins in the mug as I like it nice an strong, also the longer you leave it the better it actually is for you (anything over 3 mins). :thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Absolutely, loose tea made in a tea pot with internal infuser, no mess to rinse out, drain the infuser and tip the used tea leaves in the bin, a quick knock on the side of the bin with the infuser and all the used tea comes out, no need to rinse.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Seeing as I drink loads of tea, if I had to wait for it for ages to brew in a teapot I'd do nothing else all day!!! [HI]A teapot isn't actually very practical in a MH either as you waste water rinsing it out all the time.[/HI]

I usually leave my tea brewing for at least 7 mins in the mug as I like it nice an strong, also the longer you leave it the better it actually is for you (anything over 3 mins). :thumb:

You are the anti-christ of tea !

Wash out a tea pot ? I do not think so.. How is it ever going to build up a coating of tannic in it it to bulk up the flavour ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I really appreciate the need for smaller kettles where it's only for one or two people.
I finally found mine in LeClerc last year. Not cheap by any means but filled my requirements.
I wanted low height/wide base/1 litre max/rapid boil/1350 watts is this kettles rating, perfect for my inverter.

Fits under the filtered water tap in the bog :thumb: cost €34 but might find it for less or on offer. I bought a stainless steel finish one too for the house from ebay/italy and was €26 delivered :Cool:
CA_06291313391669-M.jpg

CA_06291313383302-M.jpg

CA_06291313390267-M.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As an aside! notice the position of that mixer tap lever in last picture above. This is how Rapido fitted it and wifey always caught it by accident.
Don't be afraid to criticise converters they don't use the vans themselves.
I turned the tap and wifey has not caught it since :thumb:
CA_02141422192628-L.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Broken Link Removed

Did it call the pot black ? Was it a BNP kettle or just the tabloids stirring things up ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i haven't enjoyed a cup of tea since my 20s. i used to do general diy chores for a neighbour who was absolutely ancient. she always insisted any visitor, she didn't get many, sit and have a cup of tea with her. she kept a pot stewing on the hob constantly. it was never emptied, just topped up. if you left any in your cup, it was poured back in the pot for next time. god i can actually taste the foul brew now just thinking about it:whatthe:

guess that's why i drink coffee

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
For the last few years, we have had three kettles in the motorhome!

1) Normal domestic kettle for use on UK sites with plenty of ampage.
2) Low 500 watt plastic thing, takes ages to boil, looks awful, but for use on low ampage overseas sites
3) A whistler for use when wild camping and when travelling etc.

This was a silly situation and I have looked all over for a nice looking, low wattage, silver coloured kettle. Lo and behold, I was shopping for broccolli when I stumbled on one in Morrisons for £12! It a decent thing, so I bought it and promptly put the other two electrics outside the motorhome "for sale"

Russell

Russell's kettle

My kettle dilemma is not solved at last as there is no Morrisons big store near me - nearest is 25 miles away! I should really like one of these - they look good. Anyone coming to Peterbro' who could pick one up for me? Would be most grateful.

Catherine

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Techno, You say the filtered water tap in the bog, but there is no extra tap in your picture.

Have you put the filter on the existing mixer tap?

As you know my vehicle is similar and it is difficult to fit a nature-pure to the kitchen tap.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes it just fits in series with the cold feed to the mixer :thumb:
The nature pure is no longer sold but the new model installs the same. The separate tap is optional and extra cost but completely unnecessary
See here page 3 of the new style
http://www.purewateronline.co.uk/files/Nature Pure QC Installation.pdf

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
My kettle dilemma is not solved at last as there is no Morrisons big store near me - nearest is 25 miles away! I should really like one of these - they look good. Anyone coming to Peterbro' who could pick one up for me? Would be most grateful.

Catherine

Hi Catherine

I have to go past Morrisons in Frodsham tomorrow and will call in to see if they have any. It's only a little Morrisons though so they may not have.
Sandra

OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Kettle

Morrisons reports a sharp rise in the sale of it's low wattage kettle!!! :ROFLMAO:

Russ

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Catherine

I have to go past Morrisons in Frodsham tomorrow and will call in to see if they have any. It's only a little Morrisons though so they may not have.
Sandra

Thanks Sandra - Techno Andy has already offered to get me one, but thanks for the thought. :Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Got your kettle Catherine and it is in the van so I can't forget it :thumb:
Three on the shelf all had torn boxes but I checked the kettle fo any damage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back