LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For the first time we did not book a return to the UK, going on the basis of playing it by ear.

I did some research in Paris, saw about £45 for a single from Calais.

So pull up in Calais ( with just 30 mins free parking outside ticket office ) and in I go. DFS "how much for....." €156.

"PARDON, it was was £44 on the internet".

"Oh yes, that is advance booking, if you go tomorrow it will be €56"

"I'll try next door".

Next door is P&O.

"H O W M U C H, €165, you are bigger robbers than DFS". The woman was not over impressed with this.

So I paid DFS €56. The girl was far prettier too, blue eyes that could charm the snipers from the trees.

Then I went to park in the free carpark to stop overnight and found the port offers 30 mins free WiFi. On the DFS web site I was offered immediate transport for £44, but the deal was done then. I sobbed pitifully for some time.

The motto - plan ahead - in Calais port you can probably buy a ticket much cheaper using their free WiFi than talking to a person.

But it was not all bad, we had good food and wine on board so had an extra few hours in France and got on the 04:00 ferry.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As you went into DHDS booking office there used to be 3 computers with there website on. It was much cheaper to use these than walk the 5 yards to the counter and speak to a human. I was told this some years ago by the desk human, and have used it several times since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
When we came home with DFS, last week we had booked but was changeing the date, went to the desk no problem and no extra charge, and yes the 3 computer terminals are still there. We use them every time and always very helpful.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
brain the same thing happened to me but if u book a ferry that is just passed the midnight then it will be next day and at the cheaper rate never go into the bloody terminal thats where the thieves are like you said use the free 30mins internet to do ya booking :Smile:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings Hilldweller,

Can you answer this simpleton (me!) a question. (Anyone else, feel free to join in.)

If one goes into the Ferry Office at Calais and uses the facilities there, ie the computer terminals, do they have printing facilities there as well or is there some other methodology for when you turn up with the 'van at the port.
Is your booking held within the system and you just turn up without any paperwork (or is there a Ref. you give them.)

Thank you in advance for the answer.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have never needed any paperwork when booked over the net when arriving at the port they know who u r by ya number plate

sorry also yes there is always a ref number

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As you went into DHDS booking office there used to be 3 computers with there website on. It was much cheaper to use these than walk the 5 yards to the counter and speak to a human. I was told this some years ago by the desk human, and have used it several times since.

Now you tell me !!

Still, others might benefit.

Everything these days is about getting rid of humans, now some terminals and some humans, soon just the terminals.

When we checked into Eurotunnel on the way out, no humans, it picked up our numberplate and let us in.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Greetings Hilldweller,

Can you answer this simpleton (me!) a question. (Anyone else, feel free to join in.)

If you ask the right questions you are no simpleton, the simpleton is the one who does not ask.

But since I missed these terminals ( remember that 30 mins free parking was nagging in my head, that's my excuse ) I claim the simpleton badge and so I can't answer your question.

Oh boy did my €56 improve things for them, no more than 20 cars and not many more wagons on the 04:00 sailing. It was a treat sailing through the traffic and free Dartford before 06:00.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Do you get four years interest free and nothing to pay for a year with DFS ferry crossings?:roflmto:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
when and why go its stupid

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The girl was far prettier too, blue eyes that could charm the snipers from the trees.

Did you get her number? Could you pass it on to me just so that I can pay the extra to make a booking with her :winky:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If you really want to get robbed on the crossings Brian, get yourself a dog. :winky:

We will book a few days before coming back, if they want too much, :winky: we will stay this side until the price drops. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brian, just out of curiosity where were you when they wanted money for parking right outside the Dfds offices there is a large secure car park where you can park as long as you want, we were there 2 hours and one couple with a caravan was there when we arrived Genny going gas bottle outside and they were still there when we left.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian, just out of curiosity where were you when they wanted money for parking right outside the Dfds offices there is a large secure car park where you can park as long as you want, we were there 2 hours and one couple with a caravan was there when we arrived Genny going gas bottle outside and they were still there when we left.

I can't remember if it's recent but the car park in front of Calais ticket office is graded. Close to the office is a short term small area with full barrier pay on foot system. Behind this is a medium term area, bigger and also with full barrier control. Then the huge area that is free and where we stayed overnight.

Older and wiser now but no doubt I'll forget next time.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Could be the difference Brian, we went to Dunqurke not Calais where it was free, think we will stick with Dunqurke it seems easier. So my mistake.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Double posted so deleted

Last edited:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We did exactly the same last year.Went to the office thinking it would be the same price and then walked straight out again when they told us the price.We sat in the car park and picked up the free wi-fi, booked exactly the same sailing and saved over £100! Makes no sense at all to me.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back