solar + inverter cable question (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
If I was to install solar panels and an inverter with the inverter and the solar regulator was in the same area (call this site A), could I run just one set of cables (of the correct capacity) from site A to the batteries if both ends were fused, the site A end would then go into a junction box which would split of to 1: the inverter and 2: the output from the regulator with fuse’s prior to going into each unit.

OR

Would it be better to run two separate sets of cables to area A each set fused both ends

OR

Should I put the inverter near as possible to the batteries even though the batteries are in a locker in the outside below floor level of the van with the need to run the 240volt cable along the chaises and up through the floor to area A

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'm afraid you lost me a bit with all the site A stuff but regardless of that you must have the inverter as close as possible to the batteries. It doesn't matter how long the 230v cables are from the inverter as the losses will be negligible.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I'm afraid you lost me a bit with all the site A stuff but regardless of that you must have the inverter as close as possible to the batteries. It doesn't matter how long the 230v cables are from the inverter as the losses will be negligible.

What I called site A is in the wardrobe which is were the cables will come from the panals down to regular then onwards from the regulator output to the battieres these would go down throught the wardrobe floor then along the chaissi to the batteries. It is aslo where I need 240volts so thats were I thought to place the inverter.

The bit that is bugging me is the battery compartment is not really 100% weather proof and I was unsure if it was safe to put a 240 volt appilance in there, however this would be the best place for the inverter as It would be a really short run for the 12volt input cables. I would need to get an inverter with a remote on/off switch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
keep the inverter cable run as short as is possible due to voltage drop. the cable from the panel/s will be far too small to handle the current drawn and over that distance the inverter wont work properly.

run the 240v from the inverter back along the chassis but use the correct type of cable and sheath it in conduit to prevent abrasion

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back