Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Ever heard the saying "In at the deep end"?

We've just collected our 1st ever motorhome, it's an Autotrail Comanche from Brownhills - brave or stupid??
After reading about both product & supplier we stayed well away & embarked on a few long trips last year up & down the country viewing all sorts of new & s/h motorhomes upto 38ft RV's. We ended one day at Brownhills & viewed a new Comanche they had in stock, it wasn't the spec we wanted but it gave us a good idea of size/layout. we were both very impressed, the staff were the complete opposite to what we'd read & the Autotrail was as good as any we'd seen. A trip to the Autotrail factory tour was arranged.
After the trip I went back & had a decent deal with Brownhills, a brand new order with every extra available & below the screen price.
We waited a few months for the order to be built & when we collected stayed overnight to iron out any faults, we met some of the service staff, some very good, some average. I kept the names of the good ones!
A few issues that coudn't be sorted on the day that should of been picked up on the PDI means we have to go back, simple stuff thats all over most forums (don't these guys ever go on the net??)
It's a lot of money & yes both Autotrail & Brownhills could have done a little better but on the whole we're pretty impressed with both SO FAR! First proper trip next week so watch this space ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Nice to read a satisfied write up ,enjoy many happy days in your NEW Adventure,:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Pleased to see a positive Autotrail thread:thumb:

We are really happy with ours.

The only gripe I have ( and it's a minor one) is that there are lights everywhere in the van, but the switches which operate these lights are in the most stupid places ever. We have had the van a year now and I still don't know which switch operates which set of lights. :Doh:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013

The only gripe I have ( and it's a minor one) is that there are lights everywhere in the van, but the switches which operate these lights are in the most stupid places ever. We have had the van a year now and I still don't know which switch operates which set of lights. :Doh:

Same here, we have had our van a year love it to bits, no problems at all (yet) but like you say lights switchs everywhere.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes

Light switches, what are they and should we have some too :RollEyes:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Good luck and I really hope you enjoy your new AutoTrail. :thumb:

Remember to post feedback, good and bad, on your experience with the motorhome and the dealer. :active:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, that's a good point. It's all too easy to post in anger when things don't go well so it is good to balance things by posting good experiences too. :thumb:

Wyn
Good luck and I really hope you enjoy your new AutoTrail. :thumb:

Remember to post feedback, good and bad, on your experience with the motorhome and the dealer. :active:

OP
OP
BOND

BOND

Free Member
Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014

I noticed all the different light switches but were given a remote control presumably to combat this - I'll let you know how I go.:Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Hi Bond, so pleased you are happy with your purchase. Hope you have many miles of happy memories ahead.

Brownhills has had some pretty dire postings about them on here, but I bought my last, not current, van from them and I just loved it.... I was really pleased and the showroom staff were brilliant and helpful if I had to phone up to ask about switches and fuses etc.... They had a couple of open weekends for past customers .... free food and drink, overnight parking and entertainment and these, too, were great.

My big issue came with the service and garage experience when I took the van in for servicing, or small jobs i wanted doing. They were awful and returned my van with fuses missing ... that hadn't been missing when it went in .... and more things going wrong than had been when I drove in.... BUT that branch has now closed down so you shouldn't have that problem.

If they have an open weekend might be worth you trying..:thumb:

Attachments

• brownhillsabba3.jpg
    brownhillsabba3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 47
  • joycarolabba.jpg
    joycarolabba.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 49

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Autotrail

Hi
I hope you enjoy your new home as much as we do ours, there will never be a van without faults or little niggles, but we are happy with the build and quality bearing in mind if it were built like a battleship it would be close to ten Tonnes, everything in motorhomes are a compromise ::bigsmile::thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi
I hope you enjoy your new home as much as we do ours, there will never be a van without faults or little niggles, but we are happy with the build and quality bearing in mind if it were built like a battleship it would be close to ten Tonnes, everything in motorhomes are a compromise ::bigsmile::thumb:

Spot on....... not forgetting that some of the faults experienced is due to equipment such as (e.g.) the fridge which is supplied and warranted by an outside supplier, even though the responsibility is the dealer....... It can get complicated when things go wrong. I was lucky with my last new van. only major fault was the electric step failing. I knew it was the relay not working properly but as the step was under warranty itself, it had to be replaced in its entirety to go back to the step manufacturer. Crazy? yes...... but that is how it works sometimes

All the very best with it. Nice looking van - someone local has one parked in their drive and it looks really good

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I noticed all the different light switches but were given a remote control presumably to combat this - I'll let you know how I go.:Smile:

Yes, we have got a remote controller but I haven't tried that.

I found it the other day looking for change on the Dartford crossing:Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Reckon Brownhills have had a good talk to themselves a wee while ago.. Lots of good reports about them nowadays !!

Swift and Autotrail need that same talking to now !

densie w

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autrail Commanch S

Can anyone tell us where the light switch to the garage is in an autotrail commanche s?

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
That’s a blast from the past. 2014 to be pedantic.
The light switch on ours is a button on top of the light itself. You need to have the habitation system switched on for it to work. Good luck

densie w

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autrail Commanch S
Hi we have an autotrail commanche s, can anyone enlighten us on where the light switch is for the garage\underbed storage please?

densie w

Free Member
Aug 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autrail Commanch S
That’s a blast from the past. 2014 to be pedantic.
The light switch on ours is a button on top of the light itself. You need to have the habitation system switched on for it to work. Good luck
Yeah, thank you it was on the sided of the light

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Ours is at the far end of the strip light at the passenger side just inside the garage

We’ve had our Comanche just about 3yrs albeit not from Brownhills and absolutely love it

Both dealer and Autotrail have gone above and beyond imho with the niggles we’ve had along the way, all minor ones I might add

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another

Al 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back