Passenger lands plane (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Just watched this programme on Chanel 4. The guy deserves a medal. Never flown a plane in his life. His friend the pilot sadly dies on the flight home, leaving this chap to fly & land the plane. His sense of humour & determination to get back to his grandkids was inspirational. The back up from the authorities was brilliant. No-one thought he would survive. A must watch. (Bound to be repeated) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I had to land a plane on way home from Spain when I was about 18.

Pilot pissed off and jumped out of plane with the cute air hostess with the last 2 parachutes.

Yours truly was the only one that could put captain's hat on properly so I had to land the bugger.

The runway was only about 50 yards long. But it was 2 miles wide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

Pilot pissed off and jumped out of plane with the cute air hostess with the last 2 parachutes.

Yours truly was the only one that could put captain's hat on properly so I had to land the bugger.

:Doh:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We watched that, really impressed with him. :thumb:

Even though I hate flying, when we had sea plane transfers in the maldives I felt sitting behind the pilots that I could fly it. :Doh: :winky: :ROFLMAO:

It made us smile at the end when it said he has just had his first flying lesson. :thumb: Bob.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I think he did a brilliant job! Credit to him! :thumb:
I learned to fly in a Cessna 172, similar to the one he landed, and it is not easy in broad daylight, never mind at night.
A very trying time is a first solo landing when you have been training for weeks, let alone, a first time.
It could have been a different outcome if he had not been so calm.

Craig

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years

I was on that plane. I never had the chance to thank you, at the time, for saving all our lives; I do so now. Thanks a lot.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We watched that, really impressed with him. :thumb:

Even though I hate flying, when we had sea plane transfers in the maldives I felt sitting behind the pilots that I could fly it. :Doh: :winky: :ROFLMAO:

It made us smile at the end when it said he has just had his first flying lesson. :thumb: Bob.

Did the pilots fly bare foot ? Ours did! It was weird seeing him opening a vent in his side window, to cool the cockpit too. I don't like flying but they landed the sea plane so smoothly . Though even with the ear plugs in the propellers engine was so noisy. I'd hate to think I had to land it:Eeek:
We watched the program and the man was a star. He did so well.

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
When I first read it I tbought of Ryanair and tbe lengths tbey go to in trying to save money on pilots.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
WHAT A FANTASTIC PROGRAMME! If you haven't seen it, watch it. Even if you're not into aeroplanes, it's a great human story. A true story where an ordinary 77 year old fella who rose above the tragedy of the sudden incapacitation of his pilot, averted disaster and flew his deceased friend back to mother earth.

I had Twitter running as I watched the prog' (don't ask, I'm not an expert with it!) and I was humbled by the tweeted comments. Most of course, were from youngsters. The comments either suggested that he should receive a Pride of Britain Award or mainly said things like, "I cried for him" or "Hey, 77 year old geezer in that plane; respect to ya man". One female was so impressed with the calmness of the old boy that she wanted him to be her birthing partner!!

Far from it being a sensationalised TV 'disaster movie', the programme highlighted two things; a man of great courage who refused to give up. A man from a bygone era where politeness, humour, caring for his fellow man and Britishness shone through, even in the face of dreadful adversity.

For me, the prog' also showed the prowess and professionalism required to fly a light aircraft. I frequently get asked three questions; do I fly solo, how much an hour is it and do I have a white scarf and goggles! Few have any idea what it all entails. Well, 77 year old John Wildey certainly showed us! Up there, with hardly any experience, at night, with no instrumentation illuminated - Wow! (I've been flying for 20 years and still find putting it on the ground a challenge!).

I had the good fortune to come across Mr Wildey's grandson who was also on Twitter. I asked him to pass on my congratulations and respects to his Gramps. He told me that he would when he saw him, but his granddad was too busy at the moment with flying lessons!!

Talking of lessons, contrary to popular belief, learning to fly is not a rich person's hobby. Forget the hourly rate, you can learn and get your licence for less than a third of the price of a good s/h car. It costs even less if you go the microlight route (and I don't mean the one like a hang-glider!). if you don't want to do the full course, go and have an 'Air experience Flight' (they used to call them Trial Lessons). They make great gifts and the instructor will give you the controls. Ladies, particularly, make good pilots. The SAR Helicopter that followed John Wildey throughout his ordeal was flown by a woman.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the programme was so uplifting.

Regards
James

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

article-2242722-1657FE04000005DC-339_634x474.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
how the hell he recovered from the tip stall is beyond belief.....it certainly isnt a routine manouvere and he wont have had any experience of it.

A trainee pilot has to endure this as a part of the training but he/she would have a live and kicking instructor with him/her if things went tits up.

I used to fly model aircraft and often wondered if i could fly and land a full scale job with my model exerience.

The theory is just the same.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, I saw it last night - magnificent!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If anyone is interested the programme is being shown again tonight at 9.00 pm on channel 4seven (no 47 on freeview prog guide). ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back