Help with a van we would like to go and see. (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Free Member
Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have seen a van on Gumtree and would like some advice on whether it would be worth our while going to see it as we are in Cumbria and the van is in Peebles. Any advice would be welcome. We particularly like the Murvi Morellos and wouldn't have looked at them if DevonBeekeeper hadn't planted the seed, (thanks for that). Well here is the link, fingers crossed!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...l-may-reasonable-offers-considered/1051867262

Thanks
Melanie

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Looks nice, Murvi's get very positive write ups I've noticed.
We have the same engine in our old autotrail & it's an absolute peach. At 60.000 miles that Murvi has loads of life left in it yet. Also, it's not saddled with all the electronics & troublesome sensors of the next generation of Diesel engines.
The only downside is you cannot go into low emission zones:thumb:

Upvote 0

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
Find out if a funster lives near by and ask them to give it the once over. Sorry I live in Devon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
M

Madwife

Deleted User
Sorry we are in France at the moment so can't oblige either!

Kath

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
About as far away from you as you can get but this 1999 Murvi is a bit cheaper though it has a few more miles on it. I don't know the vehicle but I met the owner at the Murvi AGM rally last weekend -very nice guy, one of the leading lights of the Murvi Club. Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Melanie, we are currently at a little CL in Roslin, so we are pretty close to Peebles. We are planning to head back home on Saturday morning, send me a PM if you want us to pop by and have a look at the van.

Margaret & Bill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melanie

Free Member
Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie
About as far away from you as you can get but this 1999 Murvi is a bit cheaper though it has a few more miles on it. I don't know the vehicle but I met the owner at the Murvi AGM rally last weekend -very nice guy, one of the leading lights of the Murvi Club. Broken Link Removed

Thank you, looks a lovely van, I did email the gentleman from Stoke on Trent about the other van on the murvi club site but received no answer.

Upvote 0

sandrae

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Glastonbury
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Long time
If you really want a Murvi then I would say yes, it's worth looking at.

We spent 2 years and travelled many miles in a van that was always going to be 'second best' before we found ours and we haven't looked back.

The one your looking at looks in good order, though obviously it's difficult to tell from photos. The only 'modification' I can see is that the owners have added curtains, so it might be as well to check if the blinds still work if you want to use them.

Yes, it might seem pricey for a van that age but the mileage is relatively low and Murvi Morellos are well built, much sort after and really hold their value.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We have seen a van on Gumtree and would like some advice on whether it would be worth our while going to see it as we are in Cumbria and the van is in Peebles. Any advice would be welcome. We particularly like the Murvi Morellos and wouldn't have looked at them if DevonBeekeeper hadn't planted the seed, (thanks for that). Well here is the link, fingers crossed!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...l-may-reasonable-offers-considered/1051867262

Thanks
Melanie
I love the layout in that van, it very similar to ours.
It's the only one that really works for us.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Melanie, we are currently at a little CL in Roslin, so we are pretty close to Peebles. We are planning to head back home on Saturday morning, send me a PM if you want us to pop by and have a look at the van.

Margaret & Bill
Would you mind sending the details of the CL to me on a PM please?
I'd love to visit Roslin :thumb:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If no one has looked at it for you before Wednesday I can go across on Wednesday if you send me a list of things to look at / photograph. Just PM me.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
May be a good van but its too expensive, at the end of the day its a converted commercial van and I would offer 3k less, a dealer may sell it at that price with a decent guarantee and fully inspected and serviced but I bet the dealer would only buy it in for 8 - 10k

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
[IWe spent most of last season looking at PVC'S and were disappointed with the payload of most. So if you do view it, and have a test drive, include a weigh bridge in the trip, better to know before the deal is done. Good luck:thumb: [/I]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melanie

Free Member
Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie

Margaret & Bill

Hi Margaret and Bill having trouble messaging you as my message service doesn't seem to be working, will try again tomorrow.:Sad:

Upvote 0

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
it says offers as well

3 things u must do.
check hpi on it £19-£25 full history, finance logbook loans,all a must,
tells u milage any accidents but you nbeed reg and vin number from log book.. u only need reg furst then when your there before buying call threw the vin number ,

take a mechanic again a must, jack up 4 wheels and turn the wheels and pull make sure no play , shows bad hubs and bearings etc,,
run all the electrics incl window wipers and heaters while engine is running form cold.. turn headlights on make sure all is charging and all works well..

last,, look under and around all inside the van look for even small wiff of damp or mold or small inside panels popping could be water inside panels,
it does happen and most sellers will know this they just wont tell you as the saying goes buyer beware ..

apart from that you can get your AA OR GREENFLAG OR RAC FOR A SMALL CHARGE TO GIVE IS A FULL CHECK APPRX 60 MINS THERE IS A CHARGE BUT THE GOOD THING IS FOR APPRX £80 THEY WILL SUPPLY YOU A WARRANTY ON ENGINE .GEARBOX. WORTH A THOUGHT,
THEY WONT TELL YOU WHAT ITS WORTH BUT IF THIS IS THE ONE OFFER LESS SAVE MONEY TOWARDS MAYBE SMALL SERVICE OR INSURANCE OR A POSSIBLE FAULT UNDETECTED AFTER BUYING,.
:thumb: good luck and happy campin,,

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Margaret and Bill having trouble messaging you as my message service doesn't seem to be working, will try again tomorrow.:Sad:

Hi Sandra, not long back have sent you a PM, trust it's with you now:thumb:

Margaret & Bill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melanie

Free Member
Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie
If no one has looked at it for you before Wednesday I can go across on Wednesday if you send me a list of things to look at / photograph. Just PM me.

Thanks for offering. Margaret and Bill have offered to look for us on Saturday, so hopefully fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It looks a nice van, the Morellos are really good ones and hold their value well. Or should I say that they don't seem to depreciate as much as some others do.

We are currently looking for one of these older 2.8 morellos, don't worry we are not going to look at this one.

I noticed when looking for a PVC that every man and his dog has a Trigano tribute for sale but not many Morellos around.

If its a good one then offer a few thousand less and start negotiating.

Good luck.

Paul.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Melanie

Free Member
Mar 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Savannah Gold
Exp
I'm a newbie

Thanks
Melanie

Hi everyone, thank you for your help on this especially Bill and Margaret. We went to see the van on Sunday, it was just what we wanted inside but I think because of the age it had quite a lot of welding needed on it (and that was only where we could see). It also kept veering from one side to the other and didn't feel very stable so we decided not to make an offer on it. I was really disappointed as I thought this would be the one, oh well onwards and upwards!

Thanks again for all your comments.

Melanie

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi everyone, thank you for your help on this especially Bill and Margaret. We went to see the van on Sunday, it was just what we wanted inside but I think because of the age it had quite a lot of welding needed on it (and that was only where we could see). It also kept veering from one side to the other and didn't feel very stable so we decided not to make an offer on it. I was really disappointed as I thought this would be the one, oh well onwards and upwards!

Thanks again for all your comments.

Melanie

Brilliant !

It's so easy to lose your head and say "oh it will be all right with a bit of tlc", well done in rejecting it.

You've now gained hands on experience, keep the good work up.

Upvote 0

sandrae

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Glastonbury
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Long time
Sorry it didn't work out but in our experience it's better to walk away from something you are not sure of, otherwise it could be a costly mistake.

Hope you find a good one soon.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I firmly believe that (as they say here) "if it's for you it won't go by you". When you are spending a lot of money you need to be 100% sure that you are spending wisely.

Yes, you might miss a bargain if you don't put down a deposit there and then - but you might also commit to a pup and I know which I would rather do!

The right van will come along, you just have to be patient.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back