Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
4 years
Whenever I start the engine "batt" appears on the dashboard and the instruments behave very stiffly. The battery is up to full strength and the engine starts. What could be the problem? Thanks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the alternator and charging circuit may well be faulty, especially if the Batt light remains on after the engine has started

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry should have said make sure the earth strap to the engine and gearbox is not corroded

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Both suggestions by The Big1 are worth looking at.
I had total power loss last year due to bad/corroded connections to 12v system. Not sure of your vehicle but mine is the wonderfully :Eeek: located fuse board on the battery on my Fiat Ducato.

Attachments

• fuseboard.jpg
    fuseboard.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 39

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
put a volt meter across the battery with the ignition off and note voltage.

start engine and do the same again.

same volts....alternator not working
rise in volts....alternator ok and a fault on the exciter circuit (batt light circuit)

if the engine is a quick starter then you may have quite a few starts before the battery is too low to turn the engine.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Whenever I start the engine "batt" appears on the dashboard and the instruments behave very stiffly. The battery is up to full strength and the engine starts. What could be the problem? Thanks.

That is normal, unless you mean that the battery light comes on AFTER you start the engine.

If everything is working, the battery light comes on when the alternator is not spun up, but the ignition is on. i.e. before and during engine start, but should turn off within a second of the engine catching.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
As it is a motor home it's worth noting the split charge / 12volt fridge circuit could be also part of the problem after all they are linked into the alternator / charging system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back