Solar panel wire (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm changing my regulator and the position of it, it was just under panel with a run approx 6/7 metre to the battery. With the new regulator (Schaudt LR1218) going straight to the Schaudt ELB, about 5.5 metre run, so where is the best place to buy 4mm2 cable from, twin or single.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm changing my regulator and the position of it, it was just under panel with a run approx 6/7 metre to the battery. With the new regulator (Schaudt LR1218) going straight to the Schaudt ELB, about 5.5 metre run, so where is the best place to buy 4mm2 cable from, twin or single.

Buy the proper cable from here.. http://www.shop.solar-wind.co.uk/acatalog/cable_ho7rnf_rubber.html

and while you are on the site, check your cable size !

http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

You don't say what size panel you have but as an example..
A 100watt panel with a 6mt run and 2% loss requires 6mm2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for links, as for the panel, I don't know what wattage it is as it was already on the motorhome but the wire that goes from regulator to battery is small maybe measuring about 1mm across!! It has been ok keeping the battery's up but I now want to charge engine battery as well, hence the change.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for links, as for the panel, I don't know what wattage it is as it was already on the motorhome but the wire that goes from regulator to battery is small maybe measuring about 1mm across!! It has been ok keeping the battery's up but I now want to charge engine battery as well, hence the change.

fair enough..

the reason for sizing correctly isn't for the current carrying capacity, 4 mm will carry 30A, way more than you need.. .. but when it's a low voltage system it is to keep the losses to a minimum..

anyway.. best of luck with the rewire.. keep the site for future calcs..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back