Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi
I looked at the ceiling lights in my Auto sleeper Surrey with a view to changing to LEDs expecting to find halogen bulbs, however the ceiling lights have mini fluorescent tubes (see photo). Doe's anyone know what wattage these are or has anyone managed to change these for LEDs.

Thanks John

Attachments

• 2014-03-25 002.jpg
    2014-03-25 002.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 102

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It looks like this series:
http://www.osram.co.uk/osram_uk/products/lamps/compact-fluorescent-lamps/osram-dulux-l/index.jsp

Note they are 230V lights so there will be an inverter in the existing lamp housing. You would need to bypass that if fitting LEDs. I have some fluorescent tubes in my Hymer (older style straight tubes, not folded like yours) and have decided to leave them alone.

There was a post on this subject about a week ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
It looks like this series:
http://www.osram.co.uk/osram_uk/products/lamps/compact-fluorescent-lamps/osram-dulux-l/index.jsp

Note they are 230V lights so there will be an inverter in the existing lamp housing. You would need to bypass that if fitting LEDs. I have some fluorescent tubes in my Hymer (older style straight tubes, not folded like yours) and have decided to leave them alone.

There was a post on this subject about a week ago.

Yes, the van wiring goes to some sort of electronic wizardry :whatthe: I thought it was some sort of starter, but it would make sense if it were an inverter. If it was drawing a low wattage I would just leave them, but I cant find any marking on the tube.

As you probably guessed I an electrical numpty :Doh:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Broken Link Removed was the recent thread. It contains details of how I converted our fittings in our previous van. They were definitely 12v.

I realise the existing lights are on the 12V circuit, but the lamp is a 230V item. If the Autosleeper fitting is like those in my Hymer, there is an inverter circuit inside the lamp fitting that converts the 12V DC into 230V AC in order to power the tube. LEDs can, of course , be fitted by bypassing the inverter circuit and, possibly, reconfiguring the on/off switch if that is integrated with the present circuit.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, the van wiring goes to some sort of electronic wizardry :whatthe: I thought it was some sort of starter, but it would make sense if it were an inverter. If it was drawing a low wattage I would just leave them, but I cant find any marking on the tube.

As you probably guessed I an electrical numpty :Doh:

I realise the existing lights are on the 12V circuit, but the lamp is a 230V item. If the Autosleeper fitting is like those in my Hymer, there is an inverter circuit inside the lamp fitting that converts the 12V DC into 230V AC in order to power the tube. LEDs can, of course , be fitted by bypassing the inverter circuit and, possibly, reconfiguring the on/off switch if that is integrated with the present circuit.

OK. I thought it was a starter as well but I'm happy to believe it was an inverter. I note that I referred to it as a "ballast" in my posting on the other thread so maybe I got the terminology completely wrong :Smile:

However, conversion is by bypassing that circuit so that the wires from the LED holder go direct to the switch.

Ken's advice to check with Aten Lighting is sound. I did so before I converted ours and bought the LEDs and holders from them.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Broken Link Removed was the recent thread. It contains details of how I converted our fittings in our previous van. They were definitely 12v.

Thanks Graham, the fitting you used looks as if it would fit, two connectors to the tube, but I am a bit hesitant as I thought it would just be a straight swap the same as the spot lights were. I have emailed Auto sleeper to see if they can advise.

John

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thinking I might write a "how to" thread with photos on how to convert a fluorescent light fitting to LED. yes i realise its relatively simple but lots of people are confused and worried about doing it

would there be any interest?

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
thinking I might write a "how to" thread with photos on how to convert a fluorescent light fitting to LED. yes i realise its relatively simple but lots of people are confused and worried about doing it

That's a yes from me,:thumb: would be very useful.

John

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Good idea. I wish I'd thought of taking photos when I converted ours as they make an explanation so much simpler than pure text.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
will sort the bits and bobs out in the next couple of days then and hopefully get it done at the weekend:thumb:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Those fluorescent tubes are usually pretty efficient, so may be limited benefit from replacing them.

The tubes are normally approx. 8W so there are substantial benefits from changing to LED. Conversion is simple: remove everything inside the fitting except the switch. Connect your chosen LED module to 12V (via the switch) and earth. I used these:

Broken Link Removed

Use 2 or 4 panels per light fitting depending on how bright you want them. They're available in warm white or brilliant white. Note the price is for ten panels. They have double-sided adhesive on the back.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I replaced all 9 twin tube 11w (22w per light) fluorescents to 20w led strips by simply cutting the wires at the existing inverter board and connecting to the led strips.
Didnt need to remove the existing inverter gear...just the tubes.

Near as damn it 2 amps per original light with inverter losses reduced to less than 2 amps with all 9 lit.....a massive saving of 16ah

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's just so untidy - and think of the effect on your payload of all those inverter boards ............. :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Had email back from auto-sleeper. Flurescent tubes are 8W. So my next question for the electrical wizards is - will the amps for each light be 8w divided by 12v = 0.6amps, even if the tubes are 230v tubes with the supply inverted up. if they are 0.6amps each its hardly worth changing. or have I got it totally wrong.

John

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Had email back from auto-sleeper. Flurescent tubes are 8W. So my next question for the electrical wizards is - will the amps for each light be 8w divided by 12v = 0.6amps, even if the tubes are 230v tubes with the supply inverted up. if they are 0.6amps each its hardly worth changing. or have I got it totally wrong.

John

Correct - plus a bit for inverter circuit losses, so probably about 0.74 amps

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The tubes are normally approx. 8W so there are substantial benefits from changing to LED. Conversion is simple: remove everything inside the fitting except the switch. Connect your chosen LED module to 12V (via the switch) and earth. I used these:

Broken Link Removed

Use 2 or 4 panels per light fitting depending on how bright you want them. They're available in warm white or brilliant white. Note the price is for ten panels. They have double-sided adhesive on the back.

What's the consumption of these replacement panels?......I have looked but can't find any indication. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Remove lamp, remove lamp holder, remove gear tray (although it looks to be welded to the housing).

Then disconnect the 12v supply to the existing fixture and hook up to one or two LED SMD panels like this... Broken Link Removed

:thumb:

oh too late!!!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Can someone please check my maths:

Assuming the LEDs are wired in parallel and each LED uses .020 milliamps * 48 = 0.96 ma * 12v = 11.52 Watts per panel. This is higher than the tube consumption. Or have my figures/thoughts gone awry?:cry:

Many thanks.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They're not wired in parallel - they're in a series/parallel arrangement. I'll try to measure the consumption of one of my spares. Bear in mind they are very bright - one panel produces considerably more light than an 8W tube.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
They're not wired in parallel - they're in a series/parallel arrangement. I'll try to measure the consumption of one of my spares. Bear in mind they are very bright - one panel produces considerably more light than an 8W tube.

Tony,

Did you get the opportunity to measure the consumption?

Thanks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I haven't forgotten my offer, just waiting for some more lights to get here from hong kong. could buy in the uk, but twice the price. so if it takes an extra week, it might be frustrating but at least i saved some cash for more booze:ROFLMAO:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I eventually ordered some of these panels and measured their consumption:

9 Watt Florescent bulb using P=VI equates to 0.75 amps

48 Led panel = 0.245 amps

So three Led panels for the price of one florescent (so to speak):thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.