scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm looking to buy an older Hymer A Class.. probably pre 1995

One of my concerns is the cost and more important the availability of the windscreen..
Cost can be covered by insurance, but if difficult to source or have to wait a few weeks or more, could be a real headache if abroad ..

To this end I wrote to Hambilton Engineering Limited and posed the question.. do they stock and how much..

This is their reply..

Dear Mr Allan,

Thank you for your email. We are actually running down our stocks of windscreens at the moment, and no longer carrying glasses for the older Hymers. Some of the larger automotive glass companies, however, such as EFK Glass or Bus and Coach Glazing should be able to help you.

All A Class Hymers up to around 1995/96 used the same windscreen.

Best Regards
Rosie Searle
Hambilton Engineering Ltd.

I haven't contacted any of the suggested companies.. Am I right to be concerned.. or am I worrying for no reason..

has anyone had any experience of having to source a new screen for an older Hymer.. ?

If these are difficult to source I may have to rethink .. :Sad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Jim, It may be a good idea to try to find out from what commercial vehicle the screen originated from. Its unlikely that Hymer would have a screen specially made for there vehicles, and more likely they would source from an existing vehicle. Many main agents do not like disclosing this information as they like to keep things exclusive. Hence the price.
For example my RMB screen comes from the Iveco Superstar truck.
A classic example of this was when my Lotus Europa blew its gearbox and Mangoletsi wanted more than the car was worth to replace it. I found out it was from a Renault.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Jim,
I know replacement windscreens for my N+B Arto 69G are available from Niesmann Bischoff in Polch Germany and are supplied through Travelworld in UK
It might be worth giving Travelworld a ring and see what they say

Norman

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Would Hymer themselves be able to help and tell you the original truck windscreen? Just a thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I was informed that the screen for the early Hymers was a Mercedes van unit put in upside down!
I did see a 508 screen and it was the correct proportions.

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
I was informed that the screen for the early Hymers was a Mercedes van unit put in upside down!
I did see a 508 screen and it was the correct proportions.

I was also told this last year when auto glass replaced the windscreen in Marge, a 1997 Hymer

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have acquired a few minor chips on our Conc this last few weeks and we already had two repairs. I'm led to believe that no more than three repairs are permissible. Our windscreen and quarterlights are made by Olimpia a Turkish Glass company. Both have serial numbers etched on the glass. There are windscreens to be found on ebay Germany but you need to be sure or better still over there.

http://www.olimpia.com.tr/en/

The opening side windows are made by Ship Car

http://www.ship-car.com

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A few weeks ago I had an Autoglas technician call to fix a chip in the car windscreen. Talking to him whilst the sealant was curing, we got on to the subject of motorhome screens (the van was parked right behind the car) and he said that they are able to source just about anything. He did not seem to think the Hymer screen was anything particularly unusual although mine is a 2003 model and I realise it's probably different to the pre late 90's style.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My last van (about to be advertised) was a 1990 Tabbert FFB 570 Classic. I had the cracked screen replaced by Autoglass 5 or 6 years ago who sourced it in Germany. They had to get the cost (£2300) authorised by my insurance company & there was a delay of around 3 weeks from me approaching Autoglass to the screen being fitted. There were no snags & no mention of any difficulty obtaining one. A wait for a replacement shouldn't be a problem - they normally crack & the vehicle is still useable.

I'd ask Autoglass about sourcing a screen for your potential purchase - if breakage is covered by UK insurance it's odds-on that's who will be doing the job.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
our first motorhome was a k reg hymer, with a chip, autoglass came out and said its prob best not to try and repair as it would be fine but if we did need a new one getting one would not be a problem ,just take a week.

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
I had the front of my 1999 Hymer reprayed and they broke the windscreen during the re-instal. A replacement was quickly sourced thro a local company (I believe its the same as fitted to some ambulances) and fitted.
Since then I've seen some windscreens for older Hymers on ebay.de.

teejay41

Free Member
Sep 15, 2017
Funster No
I'm looking to buy an older Hymer A Class.. probably pre 1995

One of my concerns is the cost and more important the availability of the windscreen..
Cost can be covered by insurance, but if difficult to source or have to wait a few weeks or more, could be a real headache if abroad ..

To this end I wrote to Hambilton Engineering Limited and posed the question.. do they stock and how much..

This is their reply..

I haven't contacted any of the suggested companies.. Am I right to be concerned.. or am I worrying for no reason..

has anyone had any experience of having to source a new screen for an older Hymer.. ?

If these are difficult to source I may have to rethink .. :Sad:

Thanks to vandals, I have just suffered a broken windscreen on my 1990 Hymer A Class model 554 (like the more ubiquitous 544 but with a different interior layout). Fearing that I might not find a replacement, I googled several forums (fora?) and came across figures like £3,200 bandied about... my insurance pays up to £1000 for a screen, less £60 excess.

Hymer windscreen damage IMG_6343.jpg

I found two suppliers with stock (or readily able to procure) who quoted the following: PSV Glass (psvglass.co.uk) quoted £996 inc. VAT, which includes a new rubber surround and fitted at my home address, whereas, surprisingly I thought, Autoglass quoted £870.97 for precisely the same thing. As Autoglass have the best price and my insurance company favours Autoglass anyway, they will do the work.

Hope this helps,

Tony.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back