Free Member
Apr 18, 2010
Mons Belgium
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584
Exp
Noob
Which is best Fiat or Ford engines motorhomes around year 2000?
Namely, reliability, easy to work on, cheap parts, noise levels etc
Found a ford based Hobby in excellent nick with double wheels on the rear axle

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
For availability and cost of parts, Ford! Fiats were never popular in the commercial world so dont be surprised if bits are harder to come by.

Apparently Mercedes don't need parts, so I'm told!

BTW, dual rear wheel drive is the best chance of getting off a wet MHF rally field with your pride intact!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
merovingian

merovingian

Free Member
Apr 18, 2010
Mons Belgium
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584
Exp
Noob
For availability and cost of parts, Ford! Fiats were never popular in the commercial world so dont be surprised if bits are harder to come by.

Apparently Mercedes don't need parts, so I'm told!

BTW, dual rear wheel drive is the best chance of getting off a wet MHF rally field with your pride intact!::bigsmile:

They used to say that old fords never die, the ford based Hobby that I want to look at is a 2001 2.5td,72000 km's in as new condition apparently, I have a hobby caravan that is old and well constructed, not worth anything now but I like their quality. Parts are major factor of course I enjoy mechanics, mercedes do need parts just like any other manufacturer but they are so well built they inspire confidence. I can't see the point in forking out 50k for a new one, I would be worried about every little scratch:Angry:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Never get a proper answer to this one just mixed opinions.
We have a Fiat which I only bought because the layout was perfect and I have to say it hasn't missed a beat in nearly 4 years and a lot of travelling. Having said that if I was buying again and I found the perfect layout I'd buy RWD over FWD every time (except Mercedes) even though it's never given a minutes trouble. As for Merc had so much trouble in the past and such terrible service I don't think I would be brave enough to take the risk .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
merovingian

merovingian

Free Member
Apr 18, 2010
Mons Belgium
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584
Exp
Noob
Never get a proper answer to this one just mixed opinions.
We have a Fiat which I only bought because the layout was perfect and I have to say it hasn't missed a beat in nearly 4 years and a lot of travelling. Having said that if I was buying again and I found the perfect layout I'd buy RWD over FWD every time (except Mercedes) even though it's never given a minutes trouble. As for Merc had so much trouble in the past and such terrible service I don't think I would be brave enough to take the risk .

My brother has a Hymer on a fiat chassis sounds very raucous to me, but he reckons they are bulletproof engines, their commercial arm has nothing to do with their car engines so he says.
However rear wheel drive, with 4 wheels at the rear sounds good to me with a lot more traction available, two extra tyres from pneu.com wont break the bank:Smile:
It's 90kw 120 hp max weight 3.5 ton, is that powerful enough?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think this explains the Mercedes problems perfectly. http://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-rise-and-fall-and-rise-of-mercedes-benz-22445.html I always ran Mercedes cars up until around the millennium. That was when they started to decline for me. The early Sprinters were bomb proof and would stand far more abuse than the second generation. Both suffered with rot. The older T1 was built like a truck, but slow. Had they have kept the T1 chassis and re-powered it, they would have had the best motorhome base in the world.

OP
OP
merovingian

merovingian

Free Member
Apr 18, 2010
Mons Belgium
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584
Exp
Noob
I think this explains the Mercedes problems perfectly. http://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-rise-and-fall-and-rise-of-mercedes-benz-22445.html I always ran Mercedes cars up until around the millennium. That was when they started to decline for me. The early Sprinters were bomb proof and would stand far more abuse than the second generation. Both suffered with rot. The older T1 was built like a truck, but slow. Had they have kept the T1 chassis and re-powered it, they would have had the best motorhome base in the world.
Makes interesting reading, thanks.
I read the Lucas fuel pump is an expensive problem with the ford, same as the Bosch in BMW's

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Makes interesting reading, thanks.
I read the Lucas fuel pump is an expensive problem with the ford, same as the Bosch in BMW's

It doesn't end with the Lucas pump. Which by the way is not fit for purpose. Does dual mass flywheel bring tears to your eyes.
Diesel Bob is regarded as one of the most knowledgeable diesel fitters and pump men in the country. Have a read of his,good diesel, bad diesel page.
http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I think this explains the Mercedes problems perfectly. http://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-rise-and-fall-and-rise-of-mercedes-benz-22445.html I always ran Mercedes cars up until around the millennium. That was when they started to decline for me. The early Sprinters were bomb proof and would stand far more abuse than the second generation. Both suffered with rot.

Same here I've had seven I used to buy a new E class every 3 years and in those days I was doing between 40 & 50k a year and those cars were fantastic. But the two new mercs I bought post 2004 we're total crap and the most unreliable cars I've ever had the misfortune to own. Furthermore Mercedes were not interested and did everything possible to avoid liability, hence my dislike of modern Mercs. :Angry:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Has to be VW for me, great engines, economical and the most car like to drive. :thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
RWD with twin wheels must be the best and parts for trannies should be a decent price and available, the earlier engines should be sound and without all the modern electrics and computers

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
Hubby said Ford every time, (cheap parts stocked all over the world) over the Citroen / Fiat
even though he is a merc employee ::bigsmile:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Ford with twin wheel rear axle will give you a good grip on grass etc.and a stable ride on the road. Older trannies are reliable And have easily sourced parts.
Good luck:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back