BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
I initially read this as "wedding" :Doh: and wondered where we were going? :ROFLMAO:

We did my daughters wedding in January. I am hoping welding won't be as complicated or expensive:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Look in Machine Mart catalogue they do a few I got a SIP Mig welder that's alright, it depends what you want to weld though :thumb: Also you will need some bits of steel to practice on

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have a Clarke gas/no gas mig welder and a Weldmate 140 arc welder both of which are virtually unused although far from new I shall not be using, if you are interested please pm me. These wer bought for a project which never materialised.

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm not alone then, I too read "Wedding Equipment" then I noticed BgClick and recalled what Movan (Joy) called him last week and thought .........

Surely he's not in need of Wedding Equipment.
:ROFLMAO:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What do you want to weld and how much of it? For heavy plate work stick is best but you'll need a pretty grunty machine, thin sheet go for mig but pay a bit more for a good one. I have a Siegen 180 MIG unit and it is very good but my previous MIG was a CEM unit and was rubbish with a poor quality feed motor that made it a right pain to use.

D.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
everyone seems to have a mig welder they never used

i have top of the range loads of extras and a roll of mig wire for steel and one for aluminum.. one day im gona get the gas, i have the workshop but no gas... ah well i just thought i would mention that dont know why??
must be a middle age urge to buy welders to complete every tool under the sun,,,:ROFLMAO:

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I wonder how many hits this post would have had if it had been listed as welding tackle, as there seems to be plenty, including me, believed it said wedding equipment. ::bigsmile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Me too, spilt my beer laughing...

I had an old arc welding setup for years. It was difficult to use. So, I sold it and bought a good SIP mig welder. ( hey, it is like weddings, first one of mine was rubbish, new one is brilliant!)
Its really easy to use and get a good finish ( back to welding). I rebuilt most of the front of my old Mitsubishi Shogun after the tin worms had done their worst. Great results. Just take your time to learn what setting you should have it on and go carefully.
It is really satisfying when you take the mask off to see a perfect weld.
Allan

OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
What do you want to weld and how much of it? For heavy plate work stick is best but you'll need a pretty grunty machine, thin sheet go for mig but pay a bit more for a good one. I have a Siegen 180 MIG unit and it is very good but my previous MIG was a CEM unit and was rubbish with a poor quality feed motor that made it a right pain to use.

D.
Thanks Dave,

I have three projects in mind...

... First one is to weld a 3mm bit of plate over the area where the captains seat turning table is. The existing hole is worn and elongated so quite a nasty bit of sideways movement when driving, see pictures

Then I am going to weld up a set of ramps from 4mm angle iron (lots of bracing)

Finally a bit of metal art in the garden for her indoors

Been watching some youtube videos and I'm going for a DIY mig welder that can do gas or flux core wire. There's one on Amazon that is 100 plus amps and can do up to 4mm plate.

If I like welding and see a future for one in my garage then I might buy a proper one.

Attachments

• without plate.jpg
    without plate.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 25
  • with plate.jpg
    with plate.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 22

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If you have no welding experience I would suggest before you pay out money for a mig welder (probably the best for your plans) you enroll on a welding course at your nearest further education college. MIG welding is pretty simple but a bit of proper instruction makes it so much easier. Personally I wouldn't bother with gas/no gas units unless you really have to weld out doors (and that brings its own special set of H&S issues). Don't be mean with the pennies as you'll regret it, really you will. As I said before my previous MIG unit was made by CEM, an Italian manufacturer and it was always a pain to use. My new Siegen unit is a world apart in quality and a total pleasure to use. It will happily weld 0.8mm sheet with 0.6mm wire but is just as happy welding 8mm plate with 1.2mm wire. With 1mm wire it can easily cope with dip, globular and spray transfer modes (ask your welding tutor at college), I have done car bodywork with it and just as easily made bracketry to hold gas tanks as well as fabbing trailer chassis work with it.

D.

OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
If you have no welding experience I would suggest before you pay out money for a mig welder (probably the best for your plans) you enroll on a welding course at your nearest further education college. MIG welding is pretty simple but a bit of proper instruction makes it so much easier. Personally I wouldn't bother with gas/no gas units unless you really have to weld out doors (and that brings its own special set of H&S issues). Don't be mean with the pennies as you'll regret it, really you will. As I said before my previous MIG unit was made by CEM, an Italian manufacturer and it was always a pain to use. My new Siegen unit is a world apart in quality and a total pleasure to use. It will happily weld 0.8mm sheet with 0.6mm wire but is just as happy welding 8mm plate with 1.2mm wire. With 1mm wire it can easily cope with dip, globular and spray transfer modes (ask your welding tutor at college), I have done car bodywork with it and just as easily made bracketry to hold gas tanks as well as fabbing trailer chassis work with it.

D.

I did stick welding and brazing at college about 40 years ago..

was quite good at it then

The Wolf kit is 140 amps and has good reviews so I will see what it can do, if its no good then I will probably get any welding done by a pro

ironfighter

Free Member
Mar 13, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
Hi, it all depends on the material you are welding, the thickness, and quality you require i have a structural steelwork company (hence username) and we use 300+ amp mig welders in the workshop and mma (arc welding) on site but when we do arcitectual steelwork ie stainless handrails and balconys we tig weld the joints for less heat and distortion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back