LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I noticed a few positive comments about AS Bikes of Coventry regarding their folding e-bikes but I wondered if anyone can recommend any alternatives with a budget of around £500-750.

There's plenty out there but most are £1k upwards which is too much for the use it will get, so want something more modestly priced.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have looked at them a few times in the past couple of years or so and are now seriously considering them again, if we can sort out a way to charge them as we don't do sites!

We had a good look at the 3 dealers at Newark show and also talked to others who have different makes too. We found out that you need to check the quality of the gears etc fitted to each make as some have cheapo ones, some only have 6 gears, whereas others have 7. Suspension IMV is important, front fork suspension makes riding a bike much comfier as there's much less jarring, rear isn't quite as vital so long as it has a comfy saddle, although it may be possible to fit a suspension seat post if required. Then there's the battery type, how long it takes to charge and whether it has to remain in the bike to do so, or can be removed, and also how much a replacement battery would be if needed (ranging from £110 to well over £300!). Motor size is another consideration: 36v is really a minimum as this puts less strain on the motor although you can get 24v but these, as far as we're aware, are really only good for power assist (PA) and not ones where you don't have to pedal at all, although even on PA only they can be on their limits. Some are heavier than others and some fold smaller, so don't assume because one will fit in your locker that they all will - make sure you measure each individually.

You also need to try them, personally we didn't like the ride of the AS ones, but found the others very nice, the Roodog ones in particular appeal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We have looked at them a few times in the past couple of years or so and are now seriously considering them again, if we can sort out a way to charge them as we don't do sites!

We had a good look at the 3 dealers at Newark show and also talked to others who have different makes too. We found out that you need to check the quality of the gears etc fitted to each make as some have cheapo ones, some only have 6 gears, whereas others have 7. Suspension IMV is important, front fork suspension makes riding a bike much comfier as there's much less jarring, rear isn't quite as vital so long as it has a comfy saddle, although it may be possible to fit a suspension seat post if required. Then there's the battery type, how long it takes to charge and whether it has to remain in the bike to do so, or can be removed, and also how much a replacement battery would be if needed (ranging from £110 to well over £300!). Motor size is another consideration: 36v is really a minimum as this puts less strain on the motor although you can get 24v but these, as far as we're aware, are really only good for power assist (PA) and not ones where you don't have to pedal at all, although even on PA only they can be on their limits. Some are heavier than others and some fold smaller, so don't assume because one will fit in your locker that they all will - make sure you measure each individually.

You also need to try them, personally we didn't like the ride of the AS ones, but found the others very nice, the Roodog ones in particular appeal.

Great summary and thanks for that.

Interesting you say that the AS wasn't that comfortable although I guess it's a personal choice thing and a test ride is important in this case.

Regarding comfort, this is for SWMBO so comfort is king and I suspect a test ride may take some time and we'll end up eventually buying the first one after testing around 20 different bikes:ROFLMAO:

womblevra

Free Member
Dec 10, 2012
Desborough, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Kudos battery can be charged in situ or removed and charged seperately.
seat has good adjustment. whe had crank cog(the one with the pedals) changed to a bigger one. lights work via battery bike can be ridden as a pushbike or with pedal assist or the throttle can be turned for no pedalling at all.
the larger wheels 20" as opposed to the 16" on others also assist the riding
easy to assemble.
easy to ride
Folds quite small and came with a free wheely bag too
well worth the money.::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
seat has good adjustment. whe had crank cog(the one with the pedals) changed to a bigger one. lights work via battery bike can be ridden as a pushbike or with pedal assist or the throttle can be turned for no pedalling at all.
easy to assemble.
easy to ride

I noticed the lights, also they come with a carry bag which may come in handy.

Overall they look pretty good and top of the list so far:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had AS bikes for about 5 years now.. We both have one.

They are completely abused and mistreated yet have performed perfectly ..
Minor issue we had was sorted out for free ( years after any reasonable warranty would have run out )
The batteries are still spot on and still last far longer than our bums do !!

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We have had two AS 24volt folders for about five years now. Bought them at Peterborough. Great service from the owner. We charge them on the move with inverter which is not true sine wave.
We have done 35 miles on assist with still plenty of battery left. Cannot recommend them enough. We tried every one being sold at the show. Great because you can ride around as much as you wish. AS were the cheapest and felt the strongest.
Batteries are removable for charging. Don't know the replacement cost but show no signs of flagging after five years.
Can ride up a steep hill on assist while sitting on the saddle with minimum effort. Or use throttle only without pedalling. Wife tends to use throttle only while I like to use assist so as to get a bit of exercise.
Book for Peterborough an give them a try.
Steve

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
AS certainly get some great feedback and the product looks good. Doing some final homework this week before deciding.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
easy to assemble.
easy to ride

I just purchased the latest version for the missus, though she only went around the block so far, she gave it a big thumbs uo:thumb:
The latest type has higher gearing and better lights and revised battery controller, plus a double height saddle post,
the one extra I brought for her was a quality gel saddle design for women's rear ends, we intend to get good use of it over Easter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Maintenance.

Quality ones unplug the driven wheel for repair, cheapo ones the driven wheel is fastened to the bike, a real pain.

It's a bike, make sure you like the handling.

Battery, the more watt/hours the better.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
I noticed a few positive comments about AS Bikes of Coventry regarding their folding e-bikes but I wondered if anyone can recommend any alternatives with a budget of around £500-750.

There's plenty out there but most are £1k upwards which is too much for the use it will get, so want something more modestly priced.

If interested. I have an as bike for sale top spec, back injury forces sale ,bike is priced to sell £350' pm me if interested..........Del

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
just bought an AS bike from their unit for the wife. She loves it, can't get her off it and the service from AS at their unit was excellent. Free set of panniers and they have suspension seat posts if you need the extra cushioning. Recommended.
Martyn:thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
AS certainly get some great feedback and the product looks good. Doing some final homework this week before deciding.

At the last Shrewsbury Show, we tested and purchased two, well satisfied. However, what I was going to say, they had a couple of returns on offer at special prices. So have you asked if they have any "little used" for sale, if you have a restricted budget, just a thought.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Went for a Kudos Secret from Fosse Bikes. Got it sent to the hotel last week when in the UK and then put it in the nice rolling case it came with for the return trip. Used it quite a bit this weekend and what a pleasure to use, perfect for use with the camping car:thumb:

Really like the light weight design and hidden battery feature, very neat. Loads of power as well, i guess as its light this helps.

Thanks for the input guys and gals

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are more comments about electric bikes on this thread too:

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Went for a Kudos Secret from Fosse Bikes. Got it sent to the hotel last week when in the UK and then put it in the nice rolling case it came with for the return trip. Used it quite a bit this weekend and what a pleasure to use, perfect for use with the camping car:thumb:

Really like the light weight design and hidden battery feature, very neat. Loads of power as well, i guess as its light this helps.

Thanks for the input guys and gals
We considered the Kudos Secret but they don't have front fork suspension which is a must for my wrists and only an 8ah battery with a stated 500-600 recharges which isn't a lot IMV.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our new bikes have arrived!!! :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
May I put in a plug for AS Bikes.
Peter, the owner offers an unbeatable warranty with his bikes as far as I can tell. They are, as far as I can understand it, guaranteed for life. I doubt that could include the batteries though. We have two AS bikes and genuinely love them. We have had the odd thing needing attention and gone back to Peter at Motorhome Shows. Nothing has ever been too much trouble and he has never accepted payment for work done on them. I should add that the bikes are almost six years old.

Alan

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Broken Link Removed

I noticed that your battery is only rated at 10amp. How do you find the range? We have 2 Kalkhoff bikes with 18amp and find the batteries to have a very good range. I wouldn't mind investing in another bike (foldable) and obviously realise they wouldn't cover the same distance on one charge.

In terms of styling I'm tempted by the Kudoss Secret and 8amp v 10amp might not matter that much.

Rob

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Broken Link Removed

Very nice indeed, great spec for the price as well. Wish I had of seen those.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back