Motorhome costs (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In a thread today on tyres someone said it's only £100 a year to change your tyres but have you ever thought about all these "only" prices in a year
£500 tax and insureance
£1600 diesel
£40 test
£200 service
£50 gas
£50 battery
£100tyres
Say £3000 there before you turn a wheel and when you are talking £15 a night for site fees for say 10 weeks that's another £1000 and some pay a lot more than this, so say £5000 a year that's £100 a week without buying it in the first place, and some people believe it's cheap holidays :Eeek:
Before you all flame me , I know it's your money to spend how you want, and I do it as well but it wants some thinking about when you add it all up:Doh:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
In a thread today on tyres someone said it's only £100 a year to change your tyres but have you ever thought about all these "only" prices in a year
£500 tax and insureance
[HI]£1600 diesel[/HI]
£40 test
£200 service
£50 gas
£50 battery
£100tyres
Say £3000 there[HI] before you turn a wheel [/HI]and when you are talking £15 a night for site fees for say 10 weeks that's another £1000 and some pay a lot more than this, so say £5000 a year that's £100 a week without buying it in the first place, and some people believe it's cheap holidays :Eeek:
Before you all flame me , I know it's your money to spend how you want, and I do it as well but it wants some thinking about when you add it all up:Doh:

That's one hell of a lot of diesel for going nowhere:Eeek:

Seriously thought, try not to think about it, it'll drive you mad,

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
You need to deduct holiday costs if you didn't have the motorhome - including fuel and running costs if you used a car to get to/from the airport. I also deduct the cost of owning a car as the motorhome is my runaround.

It's not nearly as expensive as you think :Smile::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
tax and insurance a bit high, gas too high and you don't need a new battery and tyres every year.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
tax and insurance a bit high, gas too high and you don't need a new battery and tyres every year.

Gas is only 2 bottles a year tax and insurance is £220and£280 tyre price is averaging over 6years same as for battery over 3 years
:Doh:
Diesel is £80 a fill about 20 times a year , I never even got round to ferries and tolls.
Only taking my costs, others are obviously different

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But full timing might cost you less as you don't buy stuff on impulse - you always have to think of the weight and where to store it!

Stevewin999

Free Member
Feb 9, 2014
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Mirada RV
Exp
There is no doubt that a motorhome costs money to have and run. Especially an RV. I am fortunate enough to have an RV although not brand new I am pleased with it and accept the costs to go with it.
However if you think they are an expensive toy, I also have a boat (not showing off) now they are very expensive to keep and use. I don't want to do a run down of the costs but here's just 2! Berthing £3500. Fuel £1000 to fill the tank and it will cover 265mls on that. Time for a gin and tonic to ease the pain lol!:helptitanic::helptitanic:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We very rarely pay for staying overnight and would never pay £15 :Eeek:
My insurance is £200
Tax £165
No mot for another 27 months
Approx £100 per month on diesel so far.
Service around £250.
Gas and other stuff. £?
So far ( since last June, we've spent around 90 nights in the van exactly where we wanted to be and if we didn't like it we moved.

Cost of our last holiday abroad without the van for 2 weeks. £2500.

Van wins. Cost comes way down the list below happiness.

Allan

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Allan[/QUOTE]

Agree with you , wasn't complaining just adding it up , but our last holiday in albufarer in jan Ryan air , sol e mar £300 for two for a week

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
If you buy your beer at Pidou at £11 for 24 and your wine at Lidl and Aldi for 2 euros per bottle you are almost breaking even.

Yes, I know you have to drink a lot of beer to make it balance but I'm prepared to put in the effort. Also makes sense to stock up on Vodka in Spain at 3.85 euros.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My wife pays :thumb: :roflmto: I just do all the work and mods and driving. I love it :Cool:
We are gas only and as we use all year around we use way more gas but only at 64.7p per litre :winky:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We very rarely pay for staying overnight and would never pay £15

Agree with you there as well but whenever I say it's too much on here everyone has a wobbler ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you buy your beer at Pidou at £11 for 24 and your wine at Lidl and Aldi for 2 euros per bottle you are almost breaking even.

Yes, I know you have to drink a lot of beer to make it balance but I'm prepared to put in the effort. Also makes sense to stock up on Vodka in Spain at 3.85 euros.

:thumb::thumb:
But we go for the ones that are one euro:thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Well, I am behind you all the way.... I obviously pay too much for my insurance so will be coming to ask you all for advice when the time comes up. And please tell me how you get an MOT for 27 months at a time... I pay forty pounds a year. . any advice welcome.

I can't deduct the cost of a normal holiday .. I cannot remember when I last had a normal holiday ... have struggled for years.

I am not complaining, just going through bad spell and thinking may have to sell motorhome... I too have been breaking down costs... and it isn't good.

I think there is a thread somewher on how to save money on motorhome costs...

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
:Sad:Well, I am behind you all the way.... I obviously pay too much for my insurance so will be coming to ask you all for advice when the time comes up. And please tell me how you get an MOT for 27 months at a time... I pay forty pounds a year. . any advice welcome.

I can't deduct the cost of a normal holiday .. I cannot remember when I last had a normal holiday ... have struggled for years.

I am not complaining, just going through bad spell and thinking may have to sell motorhome... I too have been breaking down costs... and it isn't good.

I think there is a thread somewher on how to save money on motorhome costs...

Joy, don't get down, and think hard before you think of selling, if you havnt had a holiday for years , are you not going to get away at all without your mh, if you do sell will you ever be able to get back into mhs, very unlikely at the prices .
I wasn't complaining, just stating facts as they apply to us.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
There is no doubt that a motorhome costs money to have and run. Especially an RV. I am fortunate enough to have an RV although not brand new I am pleased with it and accept the costs to go with it.
However if you think they are an expensive toy, I also have a boat (not showing off) now they are very expensive to keep and use. I don't want to do a run down of the costs but here's just 2! Berthing £3500. Fue[HI]l £1000 to fill the tank and it will cover 265mls on that[/HI]. Time for a gin and tonic to ease the pain lol!:helptitanic::helptitanic:

Thats less than 2 mpg (£3.75 per mile):Eeek:
I just couldn't do it, even if I won the lottery, that would cause sleepless nights.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
In my case, it is my everyday vehicle, insurance £211 is cheaper than my Volvo Estate was, tax £220 , Volvo £280, fuel 35-37 mpg, Volvo 30-33 mpg, I also get the pleasure of going out for days in comfort, making drinks etc, there is never any public loo`s when you need one, if there is they are usually in a car park so have to pay parking fees just to use the loo, not so when you have your own, then of course the holidays, being able to stop over when visiting family and friends , if they haven`t the room, I could go on about the benefits but you all know them anyway, so I feel that I am quid's in. :thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have done very rough calculations in the past and we reckon all the cost as taken up by the savings we make on holidays.

For instance we can do a 3 week summer holiday for £1800 everything including how much would that cost for 3 in a nice hotel. I'd reckon about £4000 so there's £2200 we have to spend on the MH.

Also the experiences and place we have visited as a family you couldn't put a price n it and the outlook our daughter now has on life and traveling she would never have got sitting on the same beach in Spain year in year out.

Also

Waking up to golden eagle 10yards from MH on Lewis. Priceless
Our daughters smiles as we visit yet another country. Priceless
Winter nights in the uk playing board games that you never find time for at home again Priceless.

I'm sure you could all add to this list motorhoming isn't just a holiday thing its a way of life and if we had to sell this one I'd buy an older and cheaper one. We actually did think of selling up to release the capital for a building project and couldn't do it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Allan

Agree with you , wasn't complaining just adding it up , but our last holiday in albufarer in jan Ryan air , sol e mar £300 for two for a week[/QUOTE]

I prefer £300 holiday, but Mrs A booked it, wasn't even a full week! 4 of us in a 5 star hotel in Amsterdam.
It still smarts......

Allan

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I have kept a note of all my expenditure since I bought the MH which includes all the setup costs of chair / duvalays etc, campsites fuel etc etc and this works out at about £450 month
But have had to change 4 tyres and timing belt and we are away most weekends as well as summer holidays so hopefully the longer we own the MH the cheaper it will get
But would not be without it, beats hotels any days

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I could tell you exactly how much I have spent in almost 3 months of this current trip to Spain, Morocco and the rally at Bella vista....
To some it will sound expensive, to others a real bargain......

Whatever the value it has bought me friends and memories that nothing else can offer.... !!!!!!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The bottom line is....If you cant afford it, don't do it. I could rent an apartment in Spain long term for half the price I can bring the van down . I love campsite life and thats why I do it. We have a beautiful apartment in Bulgaria overlooking the Black Sea but spend little time there as its not what we want to do. Motorhoming has never been cheap, but its more expensive now than its ever been. If you have to count the cost of motorhoming then maybe you should be thinking of another hobby. Am fortunate that I dont have to consider the cost of depreciation, but if I did then I would have to really consider if what I was doing would be the right thing for me. Do your sums before you buy a motorhome, not after.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Last year we did a 6 week run round Europe total cost ex food &drink approx £4500 included in this was a visit to the Arena in Varona and a night at the opera.A trip to this alone would have cost about £1500 for the 2 of us,so you have to put things Into perspective.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I have kept a note of all my expenditure since I bought the MH which includes all the setup costs of chair / duvalays etc, campsites fuel etc etc and this works out at about £450 month
But have had to change 4 tyres and timing belt and we are away most weekends as well as summer holidays so hopefully the longer we own the MH the cheaper it will get
But would not be without it, beats hotels any days

Good point! We're sitting here in the CL at Roslin, have been here for 8 nights at £12 per night. But one year ago tonight we stayed overnight at the Orocco Pier, South Queensferry at a cost of £110 (reduced rates for wedding party) and I was best man.
We would have stayed in the van, but our son wanted us to stay overnight in the hotel........which we did. But ended up having to complain about noisy guests in the next room till after 1am........motorhome for us over expensive hotels any day:thumb:

Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The bottom line is....If you cant afford it, don't do it. I could rent an apartment in Spain long term for half the price I can bring the van down [HI]. I love campsite life and thats why I do it.[/HI] We have a beautiful apartment in Bulgaria overlooking the Black Sea but spend little time there as its not what we want to do. Motorhoming has never been cheap, but its more expensive now than its ever been. If you have to count the cost of motorhoming then maybe you should be thinking of another hobby. Am fortunate that I dont have to consider the cost of depreciation, but if I did then I would have to really consider if what I was doing would be the right thing for me. Do your sums before you buy a motorhome, not after.

That's it in a nutshell..

it's not about how expensive or how cheap it is compared to other types of holidays.. we do it (most of us) because we love it.. it cannot be compared or judged with flying and hotel/apartments.. :Doh:

I have never added up the cost.. if you start doing that it will only spoil the enjoyment. Even when we ran the gas guzzler RV for five years.. we had it because we wanted it, a dream come true..
How many kids or adults can say they spent three years touring Europe in an American RV as we did ? .. Not many.. what price do you put on dreams..?

Yes, you must consider the cost before you buy.. but afterwards ..enjoy..enjoy, enjoy. .

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
When we bought our MH I spent quite some time calculating and justifying the costs of investment and running vs "regular holidays"

I came to the conclusion that you do it because you can and you want to ie it fits for you.

On the cost front I did calculate kennels for our dogs as if I lost my sanity and booked a package holiday some where then this costs us around £300 p/wk as well as constant worry and concern "I wonder if the dogs are all right"..........of coarse they are as we bought a MH and they're sitting next to the BBQ after a walk on the beach:Smile:

Another contributor for us is that we don't pay any more for tax or insurance as we use the same number plates from my car so this is a total of £25 admin p/year:thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have just been around Portugal and Spain, since september.
Our truck runs on LPG, so is not such a drain on the wallet.
We had an overnight boat to Spain, as good as some hotels we have stayed in.
We stopped, when we wanted, where we wanted, sometimes for one night, sometimes a week, sometimes two weeks. Whatever we felt like.
We knew there was always a bed available, we knew who had slept in it, and we knew the cleanliness of our accommodation.
We didn't have noisy neighbours, we didn't have to complain about the food, toilets, or showers.
We had company when we wanted, and solitude when we needed it.
If we weren't happy with the location, we moved, if it was idillic, we stayed.
A wonderful life is motor homing.
The cost? No idea. It wasn't bank breaking, and we are looking forward to next winter. Now i never thought i would say that!

Craig

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have just been around Portugal and Spain, since september.
Our truck runs on LPG, so is not such a drain on the wallet.
We had an overnight boat to Spain, as good as some hotels we have stayed in.
We stopped, when we wanted, where we wanted, sometimes for one night, sometimes a week, sometimes two weeks. Whatever we felt like.
We knew there was always a bed available, we knew who had slept in it, and we knew the cleanliness of our accommodation.
We didn't have noisy neighbours, we didn't have to complain about the food, toilets, or showers.
We had company when we wanted, and solitude when we needed it.
If we weren't happy with the location, we moved, if it was idillic, we stayed.
A wonderful life is motor homing.
The cost? No idea. It wasn't bank breaking, and we are looking forward to next winter. Now i never thought i would say that!

Craig

Not arguing with any of that or what other posters have put, and I think the same , all I was saying was , you just say this is only so much and that is only so much but when you get to reckon it all up it's far from " only " even think about , fun , ccc, France passion, Britstops, all the aires, subs , another £150 a year :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back