Network help needed. (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys we moved into our new (to us) flat last week, its the living accommodation for brother-in-laws pub which he doesn't use, he's fine with me connecting to his wifi, in fact just for me he's upgrading it to fibre next week. :thumb:

Now my question is can I pick up his signal and rebroadcast it as a different network for our lappys, phones, printers and what have you? He's thinking of making his wifi an open network for his clients, so I would like to be on our own secure network.

Ian

Aug 30, 2010
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 772f Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Olley
I'm no expert and I wouldn't know if you can pick up his signal and rebroadcast it as a different network but to make yourself secure on an 'open network' you can use a VPN which encrypts all your data, making it ideal when you are aboard for checking your banking,watching BBC I Player etc etc but not sure what the cost would be long term.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
HI Ian,

When we lived at the pub in Kent I wanted to do the same thing.. so run a LAN cable from the router in the pub to my wireless router ..

Don't think you can do it wirelessly, but I may be wrong

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim, but if your connected to the same router can't one wifi network see and access the other through the router?

Ian

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Would this do it?
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Extend your home Wi-Fi network into hard-to-reach areas of your home or simply use it as a wireless router.

Features:

Four modes: Wireless Network Range Extender, Access-point, Wireless Router, Client-mode connecting to existing LAN devices
Easy configuration
5 status LEDs
RJ45 network cable
Compact dimensions: 49 x 75 x 71mm

I think that you lock down the extender...

Could be on the wrong track..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
HI Ian,

When we lived at the pub in Kent I wanted to do the same thing.. so run a LAN cable from the router in the pub to my wireless router ..

I have an extender which plugs into the ring main from the router then then the second part plugs into the ring main and acts as a wireless router with it's own password etc.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
HI Ian,

I think that is correct. A range extender simply extends the range of the main network - you still sign on to the network broadcast by the main router (we do here anyway :Smile:)

By making the physical cable connection you should be able to set up security on the second router (which broadcasts its own, separate, signal) to be secure/private.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If I have to do it via a cable that should be ok as his office is directly below our lounge, pity I didn't think of this before as I have just laid a laminate floor in the lounge.:Doh:

Marvellous, you try to think of everything when rewiring, put tv sockets in all three bedrooms only to find she wants the tv on the otherside of the room.:Doh:

Ian

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
If I have to do it via a cable that should be ok as his office is directly below our lounge, pity I didn't think of this before as I have just laid a laminate floor in the lounge.:Doh:

Marvellous, you try to think of everything when rewiring, put tv sockets in all three bedrooms only to find she wants the tv on the otherside of the room.:Doh:

Ian

Ian does this help?

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/public-wifi-security/

Or

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Dpyin-99M"]DD-WRT Tutorial: Create a secure and separate public guest network - YouTube[/ame]

:thumb:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim, but if your connected to the same router can't one wifi network see and access the other through the router?

Ian

Hi Ian.. no..

the second router has it's own password.

To avoid the wireless signals interfering .. set them to different channels .. most routers come set to channel 6 or auto.. so set the pub router to 1 or 6 and the second one to 11

Plug the cable into any free port on the pub router and connect to the up-link port on yours.. labeled "WAN" or "Internet"

good luck with the new flat.. :Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Jim, they are converting him to fibre on Tuesday so I will set it up then. Everything seems to have gone wifi, new telly has wifi and so does the freesat decoder, guess the kettle will be next.:ROFLMAO:

Flat is getting there, still plenty to do as it hadn't been decorated since 87, we found that date under the wallpaper. For the last 4 years his son lived in it with two husky Alsation crosses, the dogs obviously got bored, as they tried to eat their way out of some of the rooms through the doors.:Smile:

Ian

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.

Ian

NO sympathy, did you previously ask. :ROFLMAO:

Winge winge, just get on with it. I would of course offer to come and help. Regretfully, I'm tooooooooo busy siting in the sun out here in Portugal, at the moment eating pate on toast and quaffing cold beers. Sorry. :moon: :drink:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
<snip>
Now my question is can I pick up his signal and rebroadcast it as a different network for our lappys, phones, printers and what have you? He's thinking of making his wifi an open network for his clients, so I would like to be on our own secure network.

Ian
If you would like to do this in the flat, but then be able to take the same kit on the road with you & do the same with any wi-fi signal you could access while in your M/H, then consider something like the iBoost from MotohomeWiFi.
http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/iboost-d8-directional-system/

If you were a networking whizz kid, you could put a similar setup together for yourself & save a few quid, as I'm sure someone will be along to tell you shortly. But if you were a networking whiz kid, you wouldn't have been asking the question in the first place. ::bigsmile:

Adam & Sophie, who run MotorhomeWiFi, know what they are talking about & have taken the hard work out of the job. They also offer a good after-sales service if you do need any help. It's down to individual choice, but personally I think the peace of mind is worth a few quid.

For home use, make sure you also order the mains power supply.

If you don't ever want to use Wi-Fi in the M/H, then I would go with ScotJimland's suggestion. You can combine the two, because you can run a cable into the iBoost from the pub router as well as/instead of picking up the wireless signal.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
NO sympathy, did you previously ask. :ROFLMAO:

Winge winge, just get on with it. I would of course offer to come and help. Regretfully, I'm tooooooooo busy siting in the sun out here in Portugal, at the moment eating pate on toast and quaffing cold beers. Sorry. :moon: :drink:

Hope you get sunburnt, stomach bug and the beers off. ::bigsmile: Thanks for your offer of help Mike, but I already have someone to make the tea.:ROFLMAO:

Wish I was over there. :Sad:

Already have a WD wifi router so I will hard wire it to his modem caller, but thanks for the info.

Ian

Last edited:

sabrinadestiny

Free Member
Nov 24, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I am a newbie

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Slightly off topic but I have found it useful to replace the electric mains sockets with ones that incorporate USB connectors. No more messing about with chargers, just plug the in directly. Each one has two integral USB outlets. USB has become so widely used it will probably become the norm for mains sockets, I reckon.

Wyn

sabrinadestiny

Free Member
Nov 24, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I am a newbie
Slightly off topic but I have found it useful to replace the electric mains sockets with ones that incorporate USB connectors. No more messing about with chargers, just plug the in directly. Each one has two integral USB outlets. USB has become so widely used it will probably become the norm for mains sockets, I reckon.

Wyn

Thats too techy for me :p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back