A super tip to save you worry, stress, and money! (1 Viewer)

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Have you ever lost your keys, car, motorhome, house, or any other keys? :cry::cry:

We have and this is what we have done! :Doh::Doh::Doh:

(We got this idea, originally, from an insurance company that provides a coded key ring tag to put your keys on. The problem is that the insurance company charges £10 - £15 per year for each tag. We have 6 sets of keys x 2, so an expensive excercise!)

We bought a box of those transparent plastic key rings that permit you to remove the “insert” on one side to enable you to put a message inside before clipping the plastic “insert” back. :Blush:

Motor dealers use them to put their customers keys on, with their advert and phone number inside. :whatthe:

They only cost a few pence each! :Eeek:

We have put our own message inside our key rings as follows:

REWARD
£25 for return
of these keys.
07652 010101

We have used a “Pay as you go” phone with a number that only we know. So, anyone finding the keys can call us without knowing who we are, where we live or what the keys fit. You can even buy a cheap £10 phone solely for this purpose. :winky:

This idea has given us some peace of mind in the event that we might lose our keys again. :cry:

We hope that some of you find this simple trick useful. :thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have done this for many years but why do you say use a payg phone number?
Terry left the keys in the lock when we went for a walk when in Portugal.
Luckily English people we had recently spoke to had just parked up on Next pitch to us rung us on the number and told us.
I left my regular number on the key fob.
How can they find out where you live by that?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I have done this for many years but why do you say use a payg phone number?
Terry left the keys in the lock when we went for a walk when in Portugal.
Luckily English people we had recently spoke to had just parked up on Next pitch to us rung us on the number and told us.
I left my regular number on the key fob.
How can they find out where you live by that?

Don't quite understand! If you are away from home and you lose your keys, what is the point of calling your home number? Is there someone always at home to answer? If you carry your mobile is should be with you! In addition, it is possible to find an address with a phone number!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Don't quite understand! If you are away from home and you lose your keys, what is the point of calling your home number? Is there someone always at home to answer? If you carry your mobile is should be with you! In addition, it is possible to find an address with a phone number!

Post should have read. .. Left my mobile number on the fob.
Haven't had a Landline number for years.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
While I think it's a good idea, don't see the point of carrieing another phone around just in case you lose your keys, might never happen so don't see why you can't put your normal phone number in:thumb:

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
While I think it's a good idea, don't see the point of carrieing another phone around just in case you lose your keys, might never happen so don't see why you can't put your normal phone number in:thumb:

If that's what you want to do, fine! :thumb: I can only tell you what we do.

My post was an attempt to share an idea with the rest of the motorhomefun community which some might find useful. I expect there is always someone there to criticise.

Yes, you are right, it might never happen so, if I were you, I would'nt bother. :Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If that's what you want to do, fine! :thumb: I can only tell you what we do.

My post was an attempt to share an idea with the rest of the motorhomefun community which some might find useful. I expect there is always someone there to criticise.

Yes, you are right, it might never happen so, if I were you, I would'nt bother. :Doh:

Woah, was I criticising , thought it was a good idea, just adding to it a bit.
Personally I have never lost my keys, but you suggest I should carry another phone about with me just in case, no but putting my phone number in isn't going to hurt anything in the phone I do have :thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Hi Ludo.. as an obvious Thinker ... will you now work out how I can find my keys when I lose them .... in the house please :thumb::thumb:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The only thing I can think of against using a land line is it will have your area code. So if you live in Yorkshire but lost your keys in Cornwall they have a good idea your not at home, I do not know if via the net you can find an address using a land line number or not.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The only thing I can think of against using a land line is it will have your area code. So if you live in Yorkshire but lost your keys in Cornwall they have a good idea your not at home, I do not know if via the net you can find an address using a land line number or not.

Home phone no use, if you are Devon and lose your keys it's no good ringing Glasgow or wherever you live ,you want to know straight away.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've had my phone number on my key rings for years and been grateful to someone in Gt Yarmouth who found my house keys and called me to say that he had them and did I want them posting to me - which he did at work.

On a similar note, I keep a business card in my wallet or a personal contact card with my name and telephone number. This also resulted in someone phoning me to say that they had my wallet (which had fallen out of my pocket) and would I like them to post it to me.

:)

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
:Smile:Hi Ludo.. as an obvious Thinker ... will you now work out how I can find my keys when I lose them .... in the house please :thumb::thumb:

Yep! No problem.

Write your message on the key ring in "mouse" language, and a nice piece of cheddar instead of the money. Should work fine Joy! :thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Attach them to your mobile Joy and you can then phone mobile from a spare
if you keep this locked in a safe cupboard you will be OK
as long as the key isnt with the mobile you lose:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Attach them to your mobile Joy and you can then phone mobile from a spare
if you keep this locked in a safe cupboard you will be OK
as long as the key isnt with the mobile you lose:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Then you get the scenario of having left the mobile on so that you can ring it when you lose it......... the battery's flat :ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If Joy were me, she wouldn't care at this juncture, because her most pressing prob would be that she couldn't see, having put her glasses down to pull on a sweater - and not now being able to find em!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If Joy were me, she wouldn't care at this juncture, because her most pressing prob would be that she couldn't see, having put her glasses down to pull on a sweater - and not now being able to find em!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: been there, Jenny .:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back