Free Landline Calls- Home and Abroad (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Last year my mobile phone bill whilst in Europe was almost £500, trouble is I do need to make and receive a few calls whilst away. In an attempt to avoid such charges this year I have re-visited Skype

Has anyone checked out the new Skype subscriptions? for just £2 a month you can call any UK landline numbers as much as you like up to a fair use policy 10,000 minutes a month.

This is great, but even better if you are travelling, you get your own UK Number. This meansthat people can call you and of course the caller only pays for the UK call and you are not saddled with those international bits when someone calls you, nor charged 40p to access your mailbox.:Angry:

Of course you can only make and receive these calls when you have an internet connection, but because you are not tied to a contract, you could effectively join and get a number just for the month you are away. My initial feelings after using the service for two weeks is that it is excellent and a massive money saver. For an extra quid you can extend it to free landline calls to any of 21 European countries

Link Removed

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I've been using Voipbuster for the last 3 years to call the UK from the USA and Europe. Costs 1 cent a minute to landlines and nothing for landlines within the country you are calling from. :winky:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
VOIP was terrible a as little as 18 months ago. But now I speak to friends in Australia and the USA and the quality is excellent. . You can get an echo from Australia sometimes, but I just re-connect and it normally sorts it out, calls to landlines in the UK or Europe are superb quality.

Having your own number from Skype is nothing new, but they made you pay through the nose for it and tied you in, but now you could just have your own number for a month! It certainly saves you paying when people are calling you whilst you are away. I even chose an Oxford landline so when my mum calls us she is only making a local call:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi so is it feasible to use my 3 Modem with skype at £15 a month plus £2.95 for unlimited Europe, and dump by home BT landline?

Olley

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi so is it feasible to use my 3 Modem with skype at £15 a month plus £2.95 for unlimited Europe, and dump by home BT landline?

Olley

:Cool: YES. If you have a good enough signal. Our friend in Spain with Vodafone uses it ALL the time to call the UK.:winky:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi all,

When travelling through Europe, would I be right in thinking that this facility can only be used if you are able to get free or cheap WiFi.
Surely the extortionate rates that mobile phone companies charge for mobile internet abroad, would make it cost prohibitive, ie, £7.50 per Mb

If I have got it wrong, I'll be more than pleased to be corrected.:winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you use a UK dongle then of you will be paying through the nose. But cheap and or free wifi is spreading across Europe fast. Once connected you can call any landline free and give others a free or cheap (to both of you) point of contact with free voicemail for calls you miss when you are not on line.

Using this service rather than your mobile can only happen when you have access to cheap of free wifi. But when you do then this Skype subscription could save you the cost of its £1.95 a month with just your first call back to the UK!

Just thought I would add that there is no affiliation or commission thing going on here with Skype, its a just a good service I have found that I am using every day saving £££

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Olley

Absolutely, however you cannot make emergency calls on Skype so the facility to do that needs to be considered carefully.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If you use a UK dongle then of you will be paying through the nose. But cheap and or free wifi is spreading across Europe fast. Once connected you can call any landline free and give others a free or cheap (to both of you) point of contact with free voicemail for calls you miss when you are not on line.

Using this service rather than your mobile can only happen when you have access to cheap of free wifi. But when you do then this Skype subscription could save you the cost of its £1.95 a month with just your first call back to the UK!

Just thought I would add that there is no affiliation or commission thing going on here with Skype, its a just a good service I have found that I am using every day saving £££

Thanks for confirming that Jim. I do have the basic Skype, but rarely use it, and I have never yet been able to get a WiFi signal when abroad in the MH. :Sad:

Cheers, :Smile:

Jock.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I was under the impression that SKype was just a company name and it used Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), i use Voipstunt which is similar to Voipbuster with Fring on my 3 mobile to make cheap or even free VOIP calls, I also use Voipstunt without Fring on my laptop to make cheap or free calls

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You are right. Skype are just another VOIP provider, but its the landline number that they give you for the 1.99 a month that we can put to really good use on top of the free calls to any landline

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
When abroad I try and use the Internet and Skype but find it is usually only convenient on a site with wi-fi. If you move around a lot as we do the opportunities for wi-fi never seem to crop up when needed.

Vodafone passport charges 75p connection then charges the same mobile rate as at home - As I also get a lot of free calls under the plan I have it's a reasonable compromise and available when needed.

:Smile:
Keith

Last edited:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Never had a need for Skype until now, as I'm looking to get my first MH to tour Europe.

The subscription service looks good.

I presume I need a Skype-enabled mobile phone, and also extra sets for anyone I need to keep in touch with? This would mean between us, we could make free calls, wherever I am?

If they don't have Skype phones, could they still call me, but get charged the normal international rate?

Have I missed anything obvious?

Cheers

Paul

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Never had a need for Skype until now, as I'm looking to get my first MH to tour Europe.

The subscription service looks good.

I presume I need a Skype-enabled mobile phone, and also extra sets for anyone I need to keep in touch with? This would mean between us, we could make free calls, wherever I am?

If they don't have Skype phones, could they still call me, but get charged the normal international rate?

Have I missed anything obvious?

Cheers

Paul

You do not need a phone, you can use your laptop or PC speakers or headphones. Those people calling your Skype landline can use a normal phone. :Smile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
You are right. Skype are just another VOIP provider, but its the landline number that they give you for the 1.99 a month that we can put to really good use on top of the free calls to any landline

:Cool: With Voipbuster, I think it cost me a one off payment of 5 Euros for our Number. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back