Free Member
Apr 18, 2010
Mons Belgium
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584
Exp
Noob
Been caravaning for 30 years, but now decided to try a motorhome. I live in Mons but i'm a brit Army vet.
I don't yet have a motorhome but would benefit from some advice, I need something LHD for 1-3 people about 10 years old, nothing too dear to start, not underpowered.
My brother has a hymer on Fiat engine but i'm not to keen on fix it again tonies!
So, hello to everyone, please help me here i'm just a noob!
I just spent hours reading through the sea of info here and am now more confused than before:cry:::bigsmile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are still looking as well.

We made a list of non-negotiable down through essentials and nice-to-haves - then it is off round the dealers looking at different models to see what is available that meets the criteria and has the layout that suits. Make sure you take a notepad and pen as things soon start to blur!

Good luck.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
if it helps to know in advance, you never get it right first time, usually the third van hits the spot! but welcome and enjoy searching! :Doh:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome

You will find that the vast majority of motorhomes are Fiat based. And even some of those that aren't come from the same place, (e.g. Peugot). Generally agree with your thoughts on Fiat cars but the Ducato seems to be a reasonably reliable commercial unit. Other than that you have Ford or Mercedes to choose from in mainstream units, but with much more limited choice of converter and layout.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
hi merovingian and :welcome:..
my first van was a converted lwb renault trafic panel van, just about big enough for two at a squeaze and really and truthfully a bit of a compromise to please the ex, but it gave me the travelling bug and an idea of what i wanted and needed..
now i have a lwb citroen relay (again a panel van) but professionally converted at a reasonable price to suit my needs how i want it (basic but comfortable hippy style with posh flush loo and fixed bed at the back) and with enough room to move around and sleep three (four at a pinch) and as there's only me, room to swing a (metaphorical) cat..
fingers crossed, it was second time lucky for me..

it did make me smile, your comment on fiats, fix it again tonies, if you knew my name in real life you'd realise why, and actually i also drive a fiat ulysee which hasn't been too bad on the repair it again tomorrow front for the last nine years..'ish (just hope i haven't jinxed it by saying that)

as you're used to caravanning, and they have plenty of space inside, i'd say, go and have a look at as many motorhomes as you can to get an idea of what you want inside layout wise, and then find one with the engine you feel happiest with..

well, that's my tuppence worth for what it's worth, which is probably only a pennies worth being a relative newbie to this lark, you'll get better help no doubt from those who've been at it for longer..

hope that you find what you need, good luck and hopefully soon happy travelling..

p.s. what's it like in your part of belgium, i know the north east part quite well, that's where the ex was from..

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
My experience with Fiat Ducato based motorhomes have been fine. Been driving them from UK to Spain for over 15 years and not really had any problems to worry about.

Friend of mine runs Sprinters in his business and has a Merc based Frankia, had all sorts of mechanical, expensive to fix problems, with each of them.

Personally I would go for the layout that suits you and not worry if it is Fiat based, just check the service history and if it hasn't got one - walk away. There will be plenty of others around.

Have a look on www.mobile.de.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Second hand motorhomes

Been caravaning for 30 years, but now decided to try a motorhome. I live in Mons but i'm a brit Army vet.
I don't yet have a motorhome but would benefit from some advice, I need something LHD for 1-3 people about 10 years old, nothing too dear to start, not underpowered.
My brother has a hymer on Fiat engine but i'm not to keen on fix it again tonies!
I just spent hours reading through the sea of info here and am now more confused than before:cry:::bigsmile:

Hi,

I have a couple of friends who have bought from Campirama (Ringlaan 9, 8501 Kortrijk, Belgium) and their web site has an English version Broken Link Removed.
Another option for searching is www.mobile.de which also has an English page

Good luck in finding what may be suitable for you.

J

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi
I too am a newboy and have been made to feel so welcome already, so with the confidence that you are in the right place a huge welcome from me.
Motorhomes and Caravans both have different virtues. I do so hope that you discover why so many of us enjoy the greater freedom of Motohomes and Aires.

Alan

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, sounds like you need a copy of "Jim's" book "the motorhome buyers guide", having had a good read of it I can assure you you will save the purchase price and more, it is invaluable for the first time motorhomer.

Link Removed

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
[HI] I just spent hours reading through the sea of info here and am now more confused than before:cry:[/HI]::bigsmile:

Never mind, it will all become clear in a couple of years.

Welcome to the Fun.

OP
OP
merovingian

merovingian

Free Member
Apr 18, 2010
Mons Belgium
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584
Exp
Noob
Bought one

Broken Link Removed

Cambelt kit and water pump to be installed on the 28th! Bought it direct from the owner though, no dealer prices for me! :Smile:

Many thanks to all concerned for the advice, might bump into you some time!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back