Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Had my 09 Bolero cambelt and waterpump changed by an old school garage just outside Norwich, they allowed me to supply my own (trade) parts, just charged for the labour so all in total £320 inc VAT, although the M/H is now 5 years old, it has only done 9K miles, there was no discernible wear on the old water pump or cambelt or pulleys, just in case anyone else is thinking of having theirs changed.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
unfortunately the cambelts rarely show signs of wear they just snap so better having them done at the recommended timescale of around 5 years if you are not doing the mileage.
after all it is just a rubber belt with some string in it a bit like a tyre.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I had mine done last week, it has 10,102 on the clock, do feel better with having it done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
will be having ours changed next month :cry: whats money when it comes to peace of mind :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Had my 09 Bolero cambelt and waterpump changed by an old school garage just outside Norwich, they allowed me to supply my own (trade) parts, just charged for the labour so all in total £320 inc VAT, although the M/H is now 5 years old, it has only done 9K miles, there was no discernible wear on the old water pump or cambelt or pulleys, just in case anyone else is thinking of having theirs changed.

Trade Secret shhhhh keep it quiet
Garage workshop time is paid for in two ways
1. charging customers a price for the job
2. making a profit on parts used
The total of both make the profit reqd to
1. pay the garage bills
2.pay the mens wages
Its simple maths and can not be played with,circumvented or manipulated in anyway whatsoever. if there is no parts profits the Hr rate has to be increased

So what the garage lost on parts will be added to your labour bill like it or belive it not, it will have to happen see maths above
I own a garage so I do know, and ps we love customers to bring their own parts because
You the customer are now standing your own gaurantee:Eeek: After all you supplied the parts:Doh:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
1. pay the garage bills
2.pay the mens wages
Its simple maths and can not be played with,circumvented or manipulated in anyway whatsoever. if there is no parts profits the Hr rate has to be increased

So what the garage lost on parts will be added to your labour bill like it or belive it not, it will have to happen see maths above
I own a garage so I do know, and ps we love customers to bring their own parts because
You the customer are now standing your own gaurantee:Eeek: After all you supplied the parts:Doh:

I love the customers that come back and say since you topped up my oil the left rear tyre keeps going flat :Doh::Doh: so while I was under the bonnet I gave you a slow puncture at the other end of the vehicle that I never went near :Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
1. pay the garage bills
2.pay the mens wages

Son has garage, customer bought his own exhaust system but was wrong, son fitted correct one and left customer to sort out his own refund on wrong parts! Not sure how involved cam-belt change on 09 Bolero but £320 for fitting ??:Eeek: Perhaps the replacement coolant was expensive?

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
1. pay the garage bills
2.pay the mens wages

The parts were supplied by the same people that supplied the garage anyway, and the labour cost was quoted before they agreed to let me, as a favour , supply my own parts at trade prices, plus they put in fresh antifreeze at trade price as well, they have now gained a new customer, and anyway, I am happy they make a profit, I have been given a years guarantee on the whole job as well, it was far better than the local Fiat main dealer quoted, £705 for the same job.! :Eeek:

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Son has garage, customer bought his own exhaust system but was wrong, son fitted correct one and left customer to sort out his own refund on wrong parts! Not sure how involved cam-belt change on 09 Bolero but £320 for fitting ??:Eeek: Perhaps the replacement coolant was expensive?

The £320 was for the total job, my parts supplied plus their labour and VAT.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Before the end of the month I have to get my Renault serviced, mot, cambelt, new tyres and has a six inch crack in the windscreen that needs replacing before it will pass an mot. Oh, and with moving house I haven't been able to use it for the last four months.
Oh, de pain!:ROFLMAO:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The £320 was for the total job, my parts supplied plus their labour and VAT.

OK, I stand corrected, that's not bad after all then with pump included.

You're are spot on regarding cam-belt and good advice from "aba". Changed mine at 18,000 miles last year, looked fine but as it's an 05, made in 04 with parts made in 2003 so around 10 years old. Look at the tensioner bearing that I removed, grease dried out and pitted through LACK OF USE.

Attachments

• DRY.jpg
    DRY.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
OK, I stand corrected, that's not bad after all then with pump included.

You're are spot on regarding cam-belt and good advice from "aba". Changed mine at 18,000 miles last year, looked fine but as it's an 05, made in 04 with parts made in 2003 so around 10 years old. Look at the tensioner bearing that I removed, grease dried out and pitted through LACK OF USE.

In my past experience, cam belts snapping completely was not that common, mostly the teeth were ripped off due to lack of correct tensioning, or the belt jumped the teeth when one of the tensioners/pulleys failed due to bearing failure.
What I cannot understand is why Fiat made the water pump so complicated, anyone who has seen one will know that it is way too big! Incorporating a big alloy engine casing! what is wrong with a separate pump! held in by 3 bolts, much cheaper to make and fit, the genuine part was listed at nearly £200, my admittedly non genuine part, was £70 trade, probably made by the same people anyway.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The parts were supplied by the same people that supplied the garage anyway, and the labour cost was quoted before they agreed to let me, as a favour , supply my own parts at trade prices, plus they put in fresh antifreeze at trade price as well, they have now gained a new customer, and anyway, I am happy they make a profit, I have been given a years guarantee on the whole job as well, it was far better than the local Fiat main dealer quoted, £705 for the same job.! :Eeek:

I suppose, so long as you believe what you are saying and your happy that's all that matters:winky:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Had mine done last October. The bill was as follows:-
Cambelt kit £95.80
Labour £180.00
+VAT

I was quite pleased with that.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Do all ducato's need replacement cam belts?
I've got a 3 litre 2010 fiat engine on my N&B have done 23,000 miles. Should I have it changed??

Seem to think I had a chain, but maybe that was the Mercedes I traded in for the MH :Blush:

don

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
hingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Do all ducato's need replacement cam belts?
I've got a 3 litre 2010 fiat engine on my N&B have done 23,000 miles. Should I have it changed??

Seem to think I had a chain, but maybe that was the Mercedes I traded in for the MH :Blush:

3litre has chain

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
To the original poster, what garage was this? I'm near Norwich and the MH I am getting needs the cambelt changing. I have been quoted £445 by a local MH dealer (includes pump). My local garage doesn't have the height to get the van in!

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
To the original poster, what garage was this? I'm near Norwich and the MH I am getting needs the cambelt changing. I have been quoted £445 by a local MH dealer (includes pump). My local garage doesn't have the height to get the van in!

Hi, I am away until tomorrow afternoon, PM me then and I will give you contact details, or leave phone number if you want to chat.

bazzybabes

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Lancs/Yorks border
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
My B584 Hymer is (over)due for a belt change and I phoned a nearby motorhome garage in Halifax for a quote.

Cambelt £199, fitting £216; Water pump £73, fitting £108 (prices include VAT). Total £595 :Eeek:

Can anyone recommend a garage reasonably close to Rochdale with better prices?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My B584 Hymer is (over)due for a belt change and I phoned a nearby motorhome garage in Halifax for a quote.

Cambelt £199, fitting £216; Water pump £73, fitting £108 (prices include VAT). Total £595 :Eeek:

Can anyone recommend a garage reasonably close to Rochdale with better prices?

MOST OF THEM? Ring around

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Was that Baldwins :LOL:

Looks like they've applied labour as though they were being done on different days. The labour time will be much less doing them together than individually.

bazzybabes

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Lancs/Yorks border
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Was that Baldwins :LOL:

Looks like they've applied labour as though they were being done on different days. The labour time will be much less doing them together than individually.

Hi Techno100. yes it was. A neighbour recommended them. Has he got shares?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Cambelt kit seems to be outrageously priced. I would definately shop around.
What year and engine is it?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I love the customers that come back and say since you topped up my oil the left rear tyre keeps going flat :Doh::Doh: so while I was under the bonnet I gave you a slow puncture at the other end of the vehicle that I never went near :Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
In my local car workshop last week when the manager came in and said to the mechanic " we have a sincha coming in Roy. Can you deal with it?"

When I asked what a sincha was I was told it was a customer rang up to say

" sincha did the service the "............." has been wrong" etc.

Well, it made me laugh!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
2.8 is supposed to be one of the easy ones. I'm sure many on here will tell you they paid considerably less.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
£320 for labour that's dearer than Fiat main dealer prices. Our local Commercial service center charges less £400 including using genuine Fiat parts at £160.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Bazzybabes Hymer is an A class, doesn't that sometimes affect the labour costs due to restricted access to the engine ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back